AWE, opinions please :) - SPOILERS ALERT!!

HildeKitten

After all these laurels, I'd like to throw my hat into the ring as well.

First off, I am a huge pirate movie fan. I mean, like in HUGE. And I really wanted POTC3 to be the thunderous end to an astounding trilogy. I swear to God I did.

Unfortunately, POTC3 did not live up to those expectations. I have avoided all possible spoilers and actually the entire "Pop" thread until the soundtrack came out, because I did not want to fall victim to the "movie overhype" syndrome, that many of us still know from the first "Batman" movie.

So I went to the theatre (, full of vim and modest hopes). I thought that after the weak second part, hey, things could only get better.

Boy was I in for a surprise.

POTC2 already made it difficult to follow the various storylines: Bootstrap and Will, Will and Elizabeth, Elizabeth and Jack, Jack vs. Jones, Jones vs. Bootstrap and Beckett versus all. (Sort in Norrington, Gov. Swann, Pintel and Ragetti as you see fit)

Enter POTC3. Same as #2, plus an astonishingly uninspired Sao Feng and a nicely played Tia Dalma to make matters generally irritating.

Two hours later and after the same "I bargain with you only to backstab you two minutes later" routine that already stalled part two, finally, the great climactic battle ensues. "Finally" not because it signals that the movie is about to end, but because the battle is really good and well done.

A highlight of the movie is the reappearance of Geoffrey Rush, although even he suffers from annoying dialogues at times. Johnny Depp's dialogues are so anxiously "witty" that - as I wrote in my previous post- I could not help but cringe in despair. The chemistry between Will and Elizabeth is OK, but Orlando Bloom's Will remains as pallid as his Legolas character from LOTR.

To sum it up, it is an acceptable pirate movie if you take the genre as a whole, but it is a sorry conclusion of the POTC saga. I hope that they will not do yet another sequel, as they seem so intent to satisfy every which viewers need that they could only screw it up entirely. Let it stay where it is now and be done with it.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to a midnight showing. Here's my reactions:

I agree with Christine on many points, but not that it was a better movie than POTC2 - it was far more complicated and at times it was a bit of a challenge keeping up with all the double-crossing going on. But I agree that having Barbossa back is a big plus. His dialog with Jack is better than Jack rambling on alone. And I was not happy at all with the decisions to kill off Elizabeth's father (Beckett is already a despicable character - it didn't really add anything dramatically) and I thought Norrington's "sacrifice" for Elizabeth and the pirates was careless and maybe even a bit over the top. The Norrington character was just getting interesting in POTC2, then they threw him back into his white wig and he never got to play out his inner conflict. Then, boom, he's gone.

I also agree with Capn Enigma that the enthusiasm to work everything the fans want into the script (from Singapore to Keith Richards) really complicates things to a point where it's just too much and you can't enjoy it.

But all in all, I think the battles were awesome, the Will and Elizabeth stuff was appropriately over-romantic, the monkey and the parrot upstaged all the human and computer-generated actors and, even though they leave the door open for another possible sequel, they put everyone back nicely where they belong and could very easily leave it there. And probably should.

And what happens after the credits IS necessary to the movie - without it, Elizabeth is left alone on a beach and there is no closure. No one should sit though a saga this long without closure.

OK, that's the rambling of a sleep-deprived brain. Who's next?

I was sad with Davy Jones at the end. I liked him... a lot. I know many lasses who are bawling their eyes out. Davy Jones was VERY much fancied!

....I know something you don't know!! :lol: (ducking)

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Being one that warned of the overkill in this film since the re edit... I'd like to just interject one thing...

The Will / Elizabeth thing is thankfully run its course and is gone. Any film that might follow would not be burdened with the maudlin *I love you/ I love Jack/ I love him/ I love me/ I love the monkey stuff...* :lol:

Anything ideas that may manifest for a continuing story would be pure adventure and purely Pirate and greed driven.

Well okay, Disney greed as well as Pirate greed but a few things I’ve seen on paper I’d love to see on the screen. And I am NOT an idol flatterer. If it stinks I say so. Well, that and stand down wind.... :lol:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

SPOILERS!!!!!

I rode to the theater with friends and they wouldn't stay to see what happened after the credits. I'm still mad about that. (But it hasn't been that long it's only 10am here and I left the theather at 3am). I'm at work and I'm really tired...please pardon me if I ramble.

Overall I liked it and had fun watching it. It was nice to see Elizabeth turn out to be such a strong female character in the end. I also enjoyed the crew's antics. I thought the way they handled the Will/Liz love story was tragicly fitting (I wish I'd seen the very end!!!!). The Jack an d Barbossa bickering and interaction was priceless.

However, I thought it drug in a few parts. Sometimes I caught myself wondering why parts were put in and when they were going to end.

I've always been a Jack fan but by the end of the movie I felt like he was a bit of a boob. I still like him, but it seemed like this time he was more looney than cool. He's supposed to be looney though so it was appropriate. I thought getting a glimse into his thought process (all the duplicate Jacks) was silly and could have been dropped.

The Keith Richards cameo was unneeded, but fun.

I would have liked some closure in the Calypso/Davy Jones Story. Didn't someone else in the pub predict that Tia Dalma was Calypso after the 2nd Movie?

Beckett was a disapointment. He had so much potential after the 2nd film to become such a wet rag in the 3rd.

Like I said though, overall I liked it alot. :lol:

And what happens after the credits IS necessary to the movie - without it, Elizabeth is left alone on a beach and there is no closure. No one should sit though a saga this long without closure.

I'm going to go beat my friends. I should have just slept at the theater damnit!!!

I WANT MY CLOSURE!!! :lol:

Saw AWE last night 8pm showing...

It was an interesting movie. I say interesting, not because I hated it (didn't)... but because it really wasn't like the first two movies. Not that it's a bad thing. Loved the new song. Didn't really like how Will turned out. Thought Crazy Jack was interesting... wondering if he's been seeing them for a while? Maybe since he was first marooned? Would explain alot.

Love flaming flying undead cannonball monkey.

Actually have respect for Hector now since he can sail pirate circles around Jack anyday.

Sao-Feng... built up to be a big enemy or ally... in previews... toys... etc... is in the film a total of what... 15 minutes at most?

I liked it. Only complaint was that it was tying up too many storylines... so it felt a bit rushed... but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

Now I just need to find that song...

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Heave Ho, theives and beggers

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

Now I just need to find that song...

It's on the new CD....

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

Oh Good... I didn't do my usual post movie trip to Wal-Mart to purchase the soundtrack since movies tend to burn ya on songs you like.

Does anyone know of the guitar chords for it?

"Yo Ho, all together

hoist the colours high

Never shall we die..."

blackwood.jpg

"I don't care who ye say you are lad, if ye say 'savvy' one more time, I'll bury this cutlass in that thick skull

of yers!"

-Captain John Young - PILF

I have to say I liked it alot. To me the time went by almost to quickly. After the second film I thought Barbosa would look good at the helm of the Dutchman. But after finding out what Jones's real purpose was I like the fact that he ended up taking the Pearl.

And comming from someone who had a pirate wedding, now that was a pirate wedding!! You could tell that Barbosa enjoyed the whole surealism of the idea of preforming a wedding in the middle of such a pivital battle where everything is on the line. He never stopped smiling. If I every have to be in a pirate war I want him at the helm!

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

On another note, I'm I the only one who see's alot of Jack Palance in Davy Jones? Had he lived I think Palance would have made a Great Davy Jones. He didn't do a bad job as Long John Silver in his day and he always made a good villian. It might just be me but I swear I see alot of his characteristics and mannerisms whenever I see Ol'Davy.

I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning. To me it smells like....PIRACY!

:lol: What a GREAT Movie... I wasn't EXPECTING WHAT WE GOT!... to Hell with the critics...No plot? Not characters?..... C'mon its Screenplay based on an AMUSEMENT PARK RIDE for crying out loud. GET a Life!

Go see this movie, You won't be disappointed! :huh:

I very much enjoyed it - humor, action (could've used more swordplay, but oh well) and ILM definitely brought their A-game.

I am sorry Sao Feng (sp?) didn't have more screen time, and that they didn't do more with Monkey Jack's undeadness.

Is it odd that I felt like Bill Nighy was more recognizable in his squid-ish form than as a human? :)

Riddle me this, why did just about every review of POTC 3 say the movie sucked an egg?

I wanted to see it last night but I had to pull a 24 hour duty and my ex is not able to watch my daughter until Wednesday night so it looks like I will have to wait a week to see it.

Pushing the limits means getting out of my comfort zone and giving more when I don't think I have any left.

The Brigands went en-masse to see 3 last nite, we loved it for the most part. Agreed, undead flaming cannonball monkey is great! We liked the Jack/Barbossa banter. Calypso has the worst case of crabs in history.

What drives me nuts is small things.. casting loose cannon, when trying to pitch the ship over is suicide, they would crash right through the sides and sink yon bonney ship. Stuff lke that just makes it unbelievable to those who know ships. Good sword play for the most part, though in the

last fight, yon Geofrey looks like he is just swingin his blade back and forth as he delivers lines.

we liked seeing some familiar guns, like the grenadoe launcher that knocks the midget off his feet ( and later when he fires it , tied to the mast)

As musicians we were disapointed, no rousing music for us to steal for our show

Is it me or did the costuming get a bit cheaper looking? Not the main characters but the non speaking roles looked sort of... off the shelf shall we say.

Nit pickin aside, we likes it

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands

OMG Norrington! But that's all I'll say.

The movie itself was awesome, In fact I enjoyed it the best out of all three movies. So much was going on but it did leave a lot of things settled and then opened new doors as well. I stayed glued to the edge of my seat and will definitely go see it several more times before it is gone.

I just wish I could pre-order it now..lol :ph34r:

So yes the movie is more than worth it and the critics should be made to walk the plank..again it is Critics who do not like pirates..and if you do not like something then you should not critique it.

So my critique is ten thumbs up!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Dara286/trident01-11.png

If you got a dream chase it, cause a dream won't chase you back...(Cody Johnson Till you Can't)

Black Syren Logo small.png

The Will / Elizabeth thing is thankfully run its course and is gone. Any film that might follow would not be burdened with the maudlin *I love you/ I love Jack/ I love him/ I love me/ I love the monkey stuff...*  :rolleyes:

Anything ideas that may manifest for a continuing story would be pure adventure and purely Pirate and greed driven. 

This is very encouraging, Bess. The "original" story is done, so bring me that horizion... :rolleyes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I frankly could have done with more ship-fighting and piratey stuff and less CGI supernatural stuff. Here I was all wound up to see a pirates-versus-East India Trading Company Trafalgar -- mass carnage, a bunch of pirate lords drawn from history kicking various sorts of arse -- and I get two ships shooting each other up in a giant whirlpool. The pirate and EITC fleets never even engage each other. They could have used the same amount of computing power to give us the greatest naval battle ever put on celluloid.

Meh. It was okay, but still.... Meh. I give it a 7. It'd be a 6 except for Johny Depp. The first movie will always be on my top ten list for sheer fun value, though. Drink up me hearties, yo ho...

Saw it today and thought it was great!

I would have liked to see a huge ship battle though. Keep the two in the whirlpool and have the brethren and E. I. T. co. going at it around them.

But great movie!

Rogue Mermaid wrote:

I've always been a Jack fan but by the end of the movie I felt like he was a bit of a boob. I still like him, but it seemed like this time he was more looney than cool. He's supposed to be looney though so it was appropriate. I thought getting a glimse into his thought process (all the duplicate Jacks) was silly and could have been dropped.

With Jack, I sort of came to the same conclusion. By the end of the 3rd movie, I thought of him as less of a drunken scallywag and more of a "not all mentally there" type of character. But I didn't dive too deep in thought on his part in the adventure this time around. I got too much of a kick out of Barbossa, the critters (monkey and dog), and some of the sidekicks (Pintel and Ragetti).

And I loved the Empress (Sao Feng's junk - Chinese ship). I see that's already in toy form...just might have to get one. ((The monkey's now at Disney parks - I have a spot for Jack at my office.))

Anywho, did I enjoy the 3rd film any more than the 1st? Nah, but I enjoyed it far more than DMC. Alot of plots afoot, a little Twin Peaks-ish with Jack's "Davey Jones Locker experience", but all in all, I enjoyed it.

And to top it off, it was the closer to a several day PoTC event here in Orlando. Pintel (Lee Arenberg..."Ello poppet") along with several Imagineers and Disney folk (tied to the attraction and/or movie) were in our theatre, along with the Pirate band The Rusty Cutlass. Made waiting for our midnight showing a memorable one. :rolleyes:

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...