AWE, opinions please :) - SPOILERS ALERT!!

HildeKitten

Saw it last night. I'm glad I went by myself first. The boys will not be seeing it, not for several years yet.

Why is it that witnessing an Oriental prostitute take a bullet to the forehead is acceptable family fare? And yet the expression of love between two of the main characters has be be limited to a symbolic kiss on the knee, an enigmatic smile, and a regretful "gee, gotta go." I'm not saying that blatant sexual imagery is appropriate for yougsters either, but aren't impalings, mass hangings, and other grievous bodily harm far worse? It would only have taken a bit of restraint in perhaps five or six places, and the movie could have received a plain old PG.

I liked the wedding scene. That was brash, big-toothy-grin, adventure-movie fun. I liked quite a few other things too, which I don't have time to go into right now. But the wedding scene struck me as being most in line with the spirit of PotC 1.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's a matter of what the child can handle. My nine year old saw it twice in two days and never once even mentioned the prostitute getting popped in the head. He was more into the action scenes and the funny part. Guess that violence stuff just escapes him, especially since there's more violence on the evening news these days. The movie seemed a bit tame in comparison to real life.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

And there was that painfully obvious PG-13 rating tagged to thie film. If your 12-year-olds were horrified, take a long look into the mirror and give a wink to the person responsible for their night terrors. Not to put too fine a point on things, but there you have it. Suck it up, and take responsibility for your actions. Ta!

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

Why is it that witnessing an Oriental prostitute take a bullet to the forehead is acceptable family fare?

All part of the lop-sided way society has developed, say I. B)

We let Junior play video games where it's cool to shoot cops, blow up everything in sight and interact with virtual hookers, then we're shocked when they become so desensitized to violence that they walk into their classroom and blow away their classmates without a seconds hesitation.

You used to be able to count on a Disney film to provide "clean and wholesome" entertainment. That era died along with Walt, IMHO.

...Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum...

~ Vegetius

My boys saw a "woman" get a shot to the head. Why would you call her a prostitute? There was nothing indicate that she was. My sons' also saw other people being hung, stabbed, impaled, blown up and otherwise killed for standing up for their belief of freedom.

On the school bus, they see their peers engaging in oral satsifaction. At school, they see pictures of naked girls giving oral satisfaction to males. They learn how to take pictures of their peers with their cell phone cameras by pointing them under the walls of stalls in the bathrooms. This is what the school terms as "safe sex."

On the television, they hear our President proclaim Iraq's independence and see pictures of their cousins being killed...in the name of oil.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the violence in the fantasy of POTC. I have a problem with reality.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I was sad with Davy Jones at the end. I liked him... a lot. I know many lasses who are bawling their eyes out. Davy Jones was VERY much fancied!

....I know something you don't know!! :lol: (ducking)

What do you mean? Bess! Spill it, woman! :huh:

Whether I tell th' other girls out there... well, most likely not! B) I like m' little secrets!

And yes, th' lasses are REALLY drooling over Jones in his human form! He was mighty charming there! Tenticles or not, Jones was a hell of a character that... by God he shouldn't die!

LMAO! an M&M Barbossa... now THAT's a hoot! Wonder how Rush feels about that?

I got that feeling with Will and Elizabeth. Nice touch despite it all. Though the very ending at the credits... did leave some folks wondering would that spur off the 4th?

Now folks are wondering if a 4th WILL happen.

Red Bess... and here be another... who says that Norrington's really gone? I know, could be thinking too much into this... But Will has his new job and by all means, Norrington could either be fully to the other side...or became a part of the ship... or a new member of the crew. Wouldn't that be ironic!

Rogue Mermaid.... the very ending after the credits is indeed a necessity! You have full permission to slap those that wanted to leave... cause now they will be lost. One really HAD to stay after the credits. They owe you now... they must buy your next ticket to see the film.

Actually have respect for Hector now since he can sail pirate circles around Jack anyday.

YES!!! Another for Hector... one less for Jack!

:::evil, manical laughter:::

And was thrilled to hear Barbossa's first name. I REALLY thought Jack was going to be strangled then and there when he said "Hector".

LOL... aye, Longarm... Barbossa and the Black Pearl were meant for each other (despite what all the Jack followers say!).

And yes that was classic of performing that wedding!

I have to admit.. I was strongly hoping that Barbossa would be Pirate King.

el Pirata.... ALL Reviews that say "it sucks" generally... you know it's a pretty good movie! Most films I've seen where the critics generally didn't like it, but the audiences adored it... example Curse of the Black Pearl...

And they say never trust a pirate! hell, should be NEVER TRUST A CRITIC!!!

Siren.... I tell ye.... I was thinking about ye through th' film!

You and Calypso... battling it out.. now that would be wicked! Siren would of course win! B)

But, aye.... sad about Norrington. I was hoping that wasn't true when that 56 pg bit of the rough script leaked out. Oh, well.

Hehehehe... Pre-order the DVD.. hell, yeah! I'm hoping they put on there deleted scenes, and so much more, too. Even the trailers... or make a trilogy set that has all the lost footage, deleted scenes, all the features from the other films, a directors cut and so much more!

That would have been awesome to be there Sophia.

I was in Florida at the wrong time. :huh: Drat!

Aye, Caraccioli... it was great to see Murtogg and Mulroy back... as well as Groves (that Officer). I don't think many recognized them. But how in the devil can you forget them!? Unless yer not really into the films, for don't care.

The monkey shot from the cannon was a grand blast at that one!

Jack's dad played by Richards was fantastic! He was rather grand.

And yes, I cracked up with Barbossa and Ragetti with the wooden eye.

It was a very nice touch there, Asukaru. That boy at the beginning. There were many in the theater who reacted to the kid though, "Awwww" from all around knowing the boy's fate.

And welcome to the conversion, Asukaru! I'm sure Barbossa would be glad to know he's another supporter.

As to Elizabeth and Will.... Oh, I'm sure there were times that Will and Elizabeth met as passing ships in the night so to speak. But for her to sail with him on the Dutchman... That's a bit hard to explain. Granted Will was on the Dutchman before and not dead.. but nor could the Dutchman dive underwater and/or return to the other side to "Ferry" the souls to the other side as Jones was suppose to do. So, really, Elizabeth wasn't able to join Will. Not yet at least.

I think Bess might be able to explain this one better than I can. But, I can generally understand why. And it would fall well with the legend of the Flying Dutchman.

I would have seen the film again this weekend if I could. Alas, I was commandeered to go camping. B)

But, will go see it soon enough. And hopefully will take my nephew to see it. It was great fun torturing him.

And so VERY much looking foward to seeing Barbossa again! ::le sigh... with glee::: B)

OK... Bess... be ready for the bombardment of questions, m'dear!

as soon as I see the film again to recount all the parts I missed.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

And I'm wondering if I'm the only person anywhere who went into ecstatic convulsions when Depp worked "res ipsa loquitur..." into his Brethren Court speech. Please, somebody...tell me I'm not that much of a freak...

In what area of law do you practice, shipmate? B)

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I wondered about this:

At the end when Wil and Elizabeth are together on the beach, is that Keira's real leg or a body double? It looked too healthy and meaty to be Keira's. Quite a few other people have wondered this as well since she's so darn skinny!

christinebarbossagy7.jpg

I didn't wanna say nothing.... but heck... I'm as drunk as whan I saw it... so WTF...

But I liked it....

Gotta got to go see it again...lot a parts I missed........

not smart to have two large beers, and then a large coke (with smuggled in rum to make it right) by the end of the movie.... I was dancing untill the final credits....... then came bace to see the end...

like i typed I liked the movie....

but when they wereabout to hang the kid (early in the movie) the intensity was "flying".... I thought "there is no way they can keep this up....."

Unfortunatly... they didn't....

like I typed.. I liked the movie.....my bitch (sorry can't think of another word for that) is that I couldn't keep up that level.....

But it was good......

Kinda like a cross country runner.... start out really fast..... runs well... and still finishes first....

I was sad with Davy Jones at the end. I liked him... a lot. I know many lasses who are bawling their eyes out. Davy Jones was VERY much fancied!

....I know something you don't know!! :ph34r: (ducking)

What do you mean?

Based on some of the stuff I read from Iron Bess, it would seem that Davy Jones may be one of main characters in one (or more) of several story ideas they are batting around at Disney for a possible 4th movie.

Personally, I say leave him (and Calypso) be and focus on Jack and Barbossa. While I love the plethora of recurring minor characters, the weight of all those major characters and their convoluted motives and interactions in AWE was something of a detriment to the clarity of the story. (Plus I personally don't find that whole "mystical" storyline very compelling. I understand that they started with the mystical Cortez and his curse, but that doesn't mean you have to go and create a whole batch of new mystical stuff just to fit the bill. But that's just my opinion. (If they're gonna do mystical, they should stick to walking skeletons! (That's definitely just me.) :ph34r: ))

"You're supposed to be dead!"

"Am I not?"

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Well, over all I generally liked it....

I thought the plunge further down the well of mysticism took away from the pirate feel of the movie and made it more epic fantasy (a la LOTR). Don't get me wrong, I love epic fantasy, but I really like pirate films too, and while the two can co-exist, I feel they are both better off as seperate genres.

One thing that I am a bit annoyed about, is that I found out the day after I saw the film, there was an extra scene AFTER the credits. I won't spoil it in case anyone is interested, but I can say the extra scene (from what I was told) while adding a very small bit to the story was superfluous and nto a make or break the story for thiose who like me rished out or were ruished out of the theatre.

As for Will and Elizabeth, I've heard they ended that story line as they did as both Knightly and Bloom would not sign on to do a 4th movie .... And as Depp and Rush have both expressed a willingness to do more of the PoTC films, you can bet that any future film will centre and focus on those two.

As for the level of violence... Did no one see the second film? Dead Man's Chest began with guys in cages having their eyes pecked out by crows/ravens.... If anyone who saw the 2nd film and has problem with violence, one only has to question why said person would bother with the 3rd film? Violence is NOT new to PoTC, unless anyone who had issues is very selective about the exact nature of the violence shown or implied.

Michael_banner.jpg

As for the level of violence... Did no one see the second film? Dead Man's Chest began with guys in cages having their eyes pecked out by crows/ravens.... If anyone who saw the 2nd film and has problem with violence, one only has to question why said person would bother with the 3rd film? Violence is NOT new to PoTC, unless anyone who had issues is very selective about the exact nature of the violence shown or implied.

Frankly I found that prison much more disturbing than the violence in AWE. Mainly because of the atmosphere than anything else.

I found the violence in AWE much easier to deal with because it was such obvious movie violence.

Frankly, as for children seeing AWE: I think it depends on the child. I know children that get scared at seeing Hades in Hercules, or some of the aliens in Lilo & Stitch and I know others that will watch horror movies without being even remotely scared.

It all depends on the person watching how they'll react.

As for Will and Elizabeth, I've heard they ended that story line as they did as both Knightly and Bloom would not sign on to do a 4th movie ....

Or could it be... that they were not invited back for a 4th.....

Gotta save face you know. :ph34r:

Well, you may not realize it but your looking at the remains of what was once a very handsome woman!

IronBessSigBWIGT.gif

As for Will and Elizabeth, I've heard they ended that story line as they did as both Knightly and Bloom would not sign on to do a 4th movie ....

In all honesty, I think Disney took that relationship as far as it could go. I, for one, won't be too dissappointed if Will and Elizabeth are not included in the 4th movie. As others have stated, I think they should concintrate on Jack and Barbossa. I really did love Barbossa in this third movie. And if the writers can figure out a way to bring Norrington back, I'd be a happy camper. Was very sorry to see him killed off. :ph34r:

I loved the movie, and will go see it again, but have a secret hope that the future movies, no matter how many they do, are not so overwhelmed with special effects. Action, yes. But not so much CGI, please.

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

I too, have mixed feelings about the movie. I felt that this movie somehow pulled together POTC 1 & 2 in a furry of ‘have to get this done’ fashion.

Some characters were ‘skirted’ around when we really wanted to know more about them. While other charters left us asking more questions about their fate/past.

I am still trying to understand why Regetti was chosen over everyone for one particular task.

Over all, wanted more explanations and better character development.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Fair enough, they may not have been invited back as their story had run it's course and really hd no where else to go. :ph34r:

And I am in coplete agreeance with Fasle Ransom over the lighten up on the CGI.... Less see less archaic gods and monsters and more pirates....

I'm a little suprised by the feelings of sympathy for Norington.... I never cared much for the character, he slightly redeemed himself with his demise.... but one nice act still isn't enough to make me like his character. Although resurecting him could make him a decent antagonist (again).

Michael_banner.jpg

Look, by all means do what you see fit. I do wonder, however, that if you don't approve of that sort of thing in real life, why would you fill your kids' imaginations with it?

Or, for that matter, your own imagination. There were several "ugh, I really didn't need to see that" moments in AWE, and they were largely gratuitous. Give me Hitchcock's cinematic sensibilities over John Carpenter's, any day.

michaelsbagley is right: it was perhaps naive of me to hope that #3 would be less dark than #2. Sequels are always more, bigger, louder, tougher. For some reason I thought just maybe #3 would be a return to the spirit of the first one (think Back to the Future 3). What was I thinking?

On the whole, I liked this third one: yet was disappointed too.

It's changing from a fantasy pirate type of movie, to a fantasy movie based loosely around pirates.

Also, the convoluted plotting and counterplotting was too much for me to follow. :ph34r:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it. It wasn't what I had hoped, but it wasn't what I feared either. Kind of a happy medium! B) Well worth the $5 ticket price. The 3 hours flew by for me, and I didn't want it to end.

I'd have to also echo some other posters concerns with the graphic violence though. Every time someone gets their throat slit and their brains blown out, I repeat to myself in my head, "Disney movie."

I'd also like to see less supernatural...like capnwilliam said. It seems that each installment has to surpass the previous one with regards to supernatural, and I preferred the subtle curse of the first movie to the extremes in this last one.

Perhaps number 4, if there is one, will be a little more down to earth?

Sea Captain: Yar, that be handsome pete, he dances on the pier for nickels!

Sea Captain: Arrr... you gave him a quarter, he'll be dancin all day.

Each to their own, Long Tom.

Course, youngin's have been exposed to terrors for thousands of years. Parents can only do what they can and so much to protect them and hide them from a world that is not perfect.

Gonnies also had a dead man who was a Fed Agent with a hole in his head. Many movies have certain levels of graphic violence. But for the amount of what was in there, you have to admit... the blood level was severely down! Compared to other films. Sleepy Hollow had 2 dozen times more blood and far more violent than AWE.

But again, each to their own with violence.

Another way is to talk about violence with your kids. Help them to understand it in this mortal and immoral world.

But, by God... we ARE Pirates! I know I don't cringe at blood. Spiders and corpses, yes, everything else? Hell no! The carcas of a dead deer on the side of the road was far worse a sight than what was in AWE.

~Lady B

B)

We, in this modern age, cringe at the thought of our children being exposed to "fantasy" violence. Yet for millenia we've given not a second thought to sending our children into war, and certain, horrific death. I'd rather they be exposed to fictional atrocities instead of said atrocities being committed against them and their comrades. If they cringe from fantasy, let's pray they abhor the real thing.

Yo ho ho! Or does nobody actually say that?

And I'm wondering if I'm the only person anywhere who went into ecstatic convulsions when Depp worked "res ipsa loquitur..." into his Brethren Court speech. Please, somebody...tell me I'm not that much of a freak...

In what area of law do you practice, shipmate? :D

Actually...I don't practice law...and when I was on "Law and Order" I played a Crime Scene Unit tech, so I can't even add "but I've played a lawyer on TV...".

I'm guessing that the "res ipsa loquitur..." reference was an improv bit on Depp's part, included as a tip of the hat to his late buddy Hunter S. Thompson. HST used to conclude some of his shorter pieces with just the words "res ipsa loquitur". As a huge HST fan myself, the reference just made me terribly happy.

Eager to see it again. But other things keep me from doing so at current.

I just returned from donating plasma (like donating blood), and the folks that went to see it already LOVED it! Thought it was fantastic!

And once again, more people adoring Barbossa.

Barbossa is swiftly becoming a favorite and the leading pirate of AWE.

~Lady B

:D

I went to see the movie for a second time, to catch some things I might have missed opening night. I picked up some new dialogue through the mumbling and enjoyed it all yet again. This time I noticed something new. Now this might sound cheesy. At the end, when Jack is looking at the map, a la Fountain of Youth, the camera zooms into and centers on the Florida Keys. Is this a nod from the Disney folks to a certain festival held in Key West? Hmmm??? Did anyone else see this, or was I imagining things again?

"Remember, on a pirate ship, in pirate waters, in a pirate world, ask no questions. Believe only what you see. No, believe half of what you see."... Burt Lancaster

iiiiii.jpg

DUM SPIRO SPERO... WHILE I BREATH, I HOPE