Axes and Knives

A couple of members of Tales of the Seven Seas started throwing Hawks and Knives, (We had a lot of fun throwing sharp objects at the Queen Bess Faire..) so I decided to start doing it again also....

As I was waiting for my internet conection to get hooked up again, I didn't waste the time, so I made a few throwing knives....

ThrowingKnives.jpg

From the top down...

a chunk of 1/8" x 1 1/2" - 3FT. "WELD STL-FLAT" that I bought at the Hardware store for about $5.00, marked for cutting...

a 2" blade after cutting it with a metal cutting blade in my jig saw.... before grinding ...

Three Finished blades. I epoxy heavy leather scales to the blade, and then use a cut off nail for a rivet. The one at the bottem, (with the red handle/scales) I'm giving to Red Handed Jill... just don't tell her... it's a supprise......

Throwing knives don't have to be tempered, if they bend, you just straighten the blade. Nor do they need a sharp edge (the ones in the photo just have a bit ground down to look like an edge.) And all of them throw realy sweet....

I also have a throwing "Hawk" that I'm modefing, I'm going to add langets like the one from the Pirate Soul Musseam, riveted through the handle...(will post photos of that when it's done)

I'm also going to be making a folding stand to hold a wood round (for a target) that I can take to events... If I don't get interupted, or spend too much time catching up on Pub postings.... I may be able to get that done tonight...

I've been throwing the knives at an old chunk of 1/2" plywood.... but now there is a hole through it... so I need a better target.....

Honestly, Patrick, is there anything you CAN'T make? I don't think so. Very nice knives indeed. Lucky Red-Handed Jill. :lol:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Great work Mr.Hand ! i am not sure how the nail-rivet works or what it is .,but it looks like it works well. Great work sir !

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

i am not sure how the nail-rivet works or what it is

It's just using a nail for a rivet.... drill the hole through the handle, just large enough for a nail to fit in.... grind the nail ends flat, with just a little sticking out.....and then pean them over with a hammer....

And nails are a lot cheaper than buying rivets...... :o

• 2 weeks later...

I finnaly got around to making a stand to hold a wood round on (to use as a knife and axe target), so I have something other than the sheet of 1/2" plywood that I broke a hole through.....

It's not very pretty, but it dosen't have to be.....

TargetStand.jpg

Now to keep bothering the people that said they had a wood round to give me for a target..... or else just go out into the woods, and find one.... (there are some advantages to living up in the mountains......)

I discovered that just using epoxy to hold the handle scales on dosen't work.... they also have to be riveted ...