Powder?

Not sure if this has been discussed yet?...but since some of us are flying in...and bringing our kit...including a blunder or doglock or two...what will we shoot? i haven't looked into it yet...but pretty sure the airlines look down un-favorably o' bringing of blackpowder on board...even if we are just shootin blanks...considering they don't even like hair gel anymore.....

sooooo......

will there be any black powder on the island? for sale? for share? rations? anyone bringing any? could some be bought a head of time...be made available?...what was done in the past? what are the local laws/ordinances?...anyone? anyone? <_< or will all the sound F/X just be edited in in post production :lol:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

:blink: ...hey...when you say "powder"...your not talkin about your "hot jamaican chili powder"...are ye? :ph34r: iam sure the powder from jamaica will be hot... :ph34r: but lookin for the black stuff to fit in me Blunderbuss, english lock horse pistol and me fishtaile dog-lock musket...possibly also a swival gun :ph34r: ....would ya have enough for all that? :ph34r:

Powder is easy to get in Florida. It flows like wine here (well, almost). Most of those who are in the state can and do bring extra powder with them to the festival for all to share.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

as of right now i'll have plenty of blackpowder/goex with me; at least 5# of ffg 5# of fffg and 2# of ffffg and about 500 cartridges to be made and measured in advance so that no one has to load hot from a horn or worse a tin ..i do recomend bringing a priming measure to prime your pans

:huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

If you bring a gun and it is deemed safe to shoot and you have no powder, you will be provided for. Not to worry.

On a related note, those who can bring powder, bring some to share.

For those of you "borrowing" powder, do something nice for the provider. Like a nice rum or something. After the shooting. Help roll loads. Before the shooting. But you all are adults, and you know this stuff.

Bye the bye, I usually shoot fffg in pistols and 'busses, ffg in muskets and ffffg to prime. Goex. That is what I will be bringing.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

:huh: well i sure do appreciate the hospitality ive been shown here ....i''l most likely take some of ya up on the offers to borrow/trade fer some of that thar powder...may just want to plan on bringing extra...pretty sure the rest of me crewe will be flyin in too...and be in the same boat :huh: (notice the cheap attempt at a pun) :huh: as far as our crewe oes...we have a few closer events (on calander and distance) but the Key West event seems to be the only one we keep talkin about...ya definately piqued our interest :huh: lookin forward to meetin quite a few of ya :huh: ...maybe not all of ya :huh: ...maybe not quite a few :huh: ...but a few of ya anyway... :huh:

Aye What Mad Dog said!! :wacko:

Perhaps we can make a purchase from someone for a couple of pounds of boomer sh-tuff...? I'd be willing to send a check or recently aquired endentured servant girl??

rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Here's to ya CG!! ;););)

I'll talk with the crew and we'll get a list going. We'll also roll the ladies to save the hassle later.. ;)

Thanks again!!

;)

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

i'll be bringing enough powder for your needs ...i'll just ask for a few $ dropped into the powder chest ....i'll have both pre-measured paper cartridges for pistols and also muskets/blunderbusses they will be clearly marked for safety sake .......so if you have a cartridge box please make sure you bring it along!!!

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

jus a suggestion lad save yer booty and purchase a decent or better den decent weapon. Particular if ye plan to shoot it. they are not cheap but more often then not ye get what ye pay for. YOu also do not have to buy the most expensive one out there either.

An there be enough pirates that can point ye in the right direction fer the purchae of said weapon.

there have been several websites mentioned and the pub's own callanish gunner sells weaponary

so dinae be afraid to ask around to find what you are looking fer.

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

define cheap ......cheap guns are often not made well and can be disappointments in the long run ........... a well made gun that is safe and capable of firing a blankload or a live (shotted) load will most likely start over $200. used ...you have to be sure that you want to make such an investment because with that you'll need almost another $100+ in nessessary accessories such as -powder both priming and actual load powder (the wrong powder can get you hurt or killed) a powder horn, and measures, and cleaning kit ,and priming horn/auto measure primer, flints, lead shot, a lock box for transport in many states

....... not a hobby for the frugal

you could go for a kit and make your own new gun and they start at about $225 for the pedersoli queen anne through dixie gun works or other shops

other period replica firing kits and guns can go up from there ....

i sell period replicas that start at $280 and up ...i do occasionally get a few used guns either in trade or through local auctions

so it is your choice to keep the inexpensive prop gun for now or invest in a real gun that will be able to have the ability to actually fire either just blank loads or live rounds .....but they are still not toys and even blank loads are capable or injury or killing someone ...that's where the expression point blank range comes from!!!

and the one thing most important is safety lessons it only takes one accident to ruin your life or that of someone around you!!!

i am bit of a black powder enthusiast anyways... B) ..so i am a bit ....oh ....lets say i have strong opinions about the subject or replica vs. repro... B) ..i have several "repros"...all working, able to be fired "live".. :huh: .i personally will never go back to the other side again.... :huh::ph34r::huh:

speaking of saftey.. :ph34r: .did you fellas happen to see the "safe blank" vs a watermelon trick before?.... :ph34r: .whhhhhoooooooooooooohhhhhhoooooo!

boy....these are called "hand cannons" for a reason... B) ..and i like it!

sorry for the double post...had a notheer thought....

i agree with not buying the cheapest "lock" out there...lots of problems with soft parts...bad timing, no sparkys.......just a very heavy paper weight.

but i also agree donot buy the most expensive either...usaully not that much better than any other....

do your homework...know what your buying...and what you'll use it for...and buy from someone you trust...and who stands behind their work...several places come to mind...and i personally have had a good working experience with them....

no offense mister callendish...just haven't seen your wares yet...but looking forward to it next we meet.....

but i definately, whole heartedly recomend buying a "reproduction"(ie a working)...rather than a pretty replics(non-shuddershudder-firring)....

but then again...i am a powder snob

Yah... I'm still having a hard time getting my doglock to spark properly..... and the doglock is too long to take to PiP..... So I'm working on another plan....... :ph34r:

In defense of the non-firing replicas.... other than most of them looking like toys, and you can't fire them..... if that's the best someone can afford, , they do make ok props.....or garb accessories.....

That said..... a real firing gun IS the best way to go...........they just cost more, and you have to know how to safely handle them......

To jump back to the original thread for a second, if all goes well and I get the time off, I will be driving down from Virginia, as theres some friends/places I want to visit along the way. I will be sure to pack a few spare cans myself if it all goes well..... And I have several spare cartridge boxes laying about, too, so no worries there, either....

BDC

• 2 years later...

Any powder plans in the works for 2009?

If it works well I should be bringing at least 2 cannon, several small mortars, a large buss, small buss, and a few pistols. Most of these will be available to share but I can see needing a fair bit of powder but not enough to warrant ordering my own (25 pounds). I can carry powder to the even but I can't afford to buy 25 pounds

id.jpg