17th century Pistols

AllByMeOnesies

NOTICE: DISCLAIMER OF CRABBINESS

Is anyone tired of this thread yet?

I am. I hate logging on and seeing the fascination with it.

Kenneth, who works at a funeral home, knows.

Anyone else, go get a job as an EMT, get a life, and clean up after a suicide once. Then you'll know and stop bothering everyone.

Pauly caught a bullet

But it only hit his leg

Well it should have been a better shot

And got him in the head

They were all in love with dyin'

They were drinking from a fountain

That was pouring like an avalanche

Coming down the mountain

Butthole Surfers,

PEPPER

Personally, I'm still fascinated with this thread. Yes, it has been a bit graphic, but it relates directly to piracy. Pirates killed and were killed. Back then, death was just more commonplace for a variety of reasons, from disease to harsher punishments. Discussing it in detail is no different from discussing dress, food (which can put off your stomach as much as this thread), ships, politics of the timeperiod, or weapons. Sure, it is a morbid topic. Turn on the news, watch any horror or action movie, and it's the same thing, but with actual graphics. You don't need to keep reading this post if it upsets or offends you. Quite frankly, I view death itself is rather fascinating. I know I'm not the only one, or there wouldn't be movies like Hannibal, Murder at 1600, Boondock Saints, and The Devil's Own (just a couple that stood out on my shelf). Like all topics here, it'll run it's course until people get either bored or run out of new information.

Coastie :blink:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

I have to go with Coastie on this one. Aside from the historical significances of the discussion, this thread serves one other purpose: to show the uninitiated what the consequences of screwing around with these pistols could be.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

I'm okay with being told.

I stand down. Enjoy.

Pauly caught a bullet

But it only hit his leg

Well it should have been a better shot

And got him in the head

They were all in love with dyin'

They were drinking from a fountain

That was pouring like an avalanche

Coming down the mountain

Butthole Surfers,

PEPPER

Capt. Sterling I cant remember exactly what size gun John Wilkes Booth used ? I think a derringer type .44 or 45. caliber ?

My question would be more the size of the load as opposed to gun type.

For example it could have been very low ? I am curious if it is known what the powder quantity was ? (or probably was ? ) 25 to 30 ffg .,may be less 20 to 25 ffg ?

This would almost guarantee a non exitting bullet for a more guaranteed problem.

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

The pistol that shot Lincoln was a rifled .44 caliber percussion cap Derringer. Another interesting note is that it had a left-handed rifling, whereas the norm is right-handed.

These pictures, as well as an article about the firearm that killed Lincoln came from the FBI website at http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/jan...2001/schehl.htm

pistol1b.jpg

pistol2b.jpg

pistol9b.jpg

Coastie :angry:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg