small ships

Mungo

Okay, okay, so we all know that the mammoth ships of the line depicted as "pirate" vessels in the movies are beyond silly. I am, however, having trouble finding decent illustrations of smaller, 30-60' vessels from the Elizabethan period through the early 1700s. Most of the drawings are of larger ships, or hideously stylized dutch and flemish paintings.

Anybody got some good links? Mungo gots an alterior motive. .....as in building one.

M B)

If you are serious about 'building one, you might start at Mystic Seaport Museum; those of us who sail and build them do, as they are the caretakers of zillions of small (and large) vessel plans. They are not necessarily cheap, but you'll ne'er build a solid small craft without the lofting spec's, line drawings, table of particulars, and .....usually a class or ten in traditional boat construction. Building ships and boats from pictures is about as accurate as trying to build a bridge from one, although, after building many of each, bridges are easier, as they are square and plumb (less the appropriate camber), and ships are curved and canted.

:lol:

Morgan Dreadlocke, your Duckworks photo is in a members only area, is there any way you can post the picture or a link to it, so that we don't have to join Duckworks Yahoo group. I already have enough Yahoo groups that I can't keep up with them all, but I would enjoy seeing your 12 footer pirate ship.

No Fear Have Ye of Evil Curses says you...

Aye,... Properly Warned Ye Be says I

Let me do some upgradin' on this fossilized abbacus. I can't even access me own photobucket right now. ( Looks at computer on right side an big hammer on left side) B)

Might take a day ar two-

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

Arrrg. Well I don't know how ta link to a Photobucket album so heres another site ta try-

Site where me photos be at.

When the page comes up, click on members, an follow me name till ya gets to my page. The photos will come up as a slide show on the left side.

This be an example of wot a local handydude could be makin' in his backyard wi' a minimun 'o supplies, manpower an time. Reguardless if ye go wi' "stitch an glue ply" or "steamed white oak planks" a model will be helping ye understand the shapes involved. I gots this idea after lookin' at the "Beer Bards Brigantine Sabot". Search 'em up, they gots a very detailed site on building their craft. Decided that their alteration of an existing 8 foot plan was a wee bit too small, an that any thing over 12-14 feet would be too much fer one man ta muscle around on a trailer. Renn faire accurate only B)

Okay, okay, so we all know that the mammoth ships of the line depicted as "pirate" vessels in the movies are beyond silly. I am, however, having trouble finding decent illustrations of smaller, 30-60' vessels from the Elizabethan period through the early 1700s.

M :D

Hmm, I sort of figured this fella was lookin' for larger, boat/ship drawings. Neither did I read any reference to building a trailer sailer...There are actually zillions of stitch and glue sites...But then, since he hasn't responded, methinks mungo likes sheriff, not ships.. ;) ......(exerpted, of course, from 'Blazin' Saddles')

• 16 years later...

16 years has passed and I still ain't got me little boat built. The fat cat slept in and busted up the original model years ago so's I built another slightly larger sample. This one will carry 4  comfortably for cruzin' around small city park lakes.  Waterline length @ 11', beam 5" across the oarlocks, 4" across the bottom.  'Bout 6" draft and bottom of the rudder at @ 18". Small electric trollin' motor sandwiched in the rudder wi' the batteries hidden under the center bench. Aimin' for a christining at the '25 Hidden Lake Festival in Buckeye. AYE gots pics now, no more 'o this photobucket blackmail garbage. 1st pic is the original 2 man tub. Others are the 4 seater. 

cap_019.jpg

ps5.jpg

ps7.jpg

ps4.jpg

boat2 (2).jpg

Sounds similar to Buckeye Lake in Ohio.. a man-made (and unpleasant smelling) artificial lake. I recall chat of a winery on or near the shores of Buckeye Lake Ohio planning a pirate fest years ago.... but I never heard if that went off or not.

Michael_banner.jpg