‘Drunken Pirate’ sues school that nixed degree

Originally Posted by AP via MSNBC

‘Drunken Pirate’ sues school that nixed degree

Woman lost teaching degree over Myspace picture showing her drinking

Updated: 6:49 p.m. ET April 28, 2007

MILLERSVILLE, Pa. - A woman denied a teaching degree on the eve of graduation because of a MySpace photo has sued the university.

Millersville University instead granted Stacy Snyder a degree in English last year after learning of her Web-published picture, which bore the caption “Drunken Pirate.”

“I dreamed about being a teacher for a long time,” said Snyder, 27, who now works as a nanny.

The photo, taken at a 2005 Halloween party, shows Snyder wearing a pirate hat while drinking from a plastic “Mr. Goodbar” cup. It was posted on her own MySpace site.

Although Snyder apologized, she learned the day before graduation that she would not be awarded an education degree or teaching certificate.

Jane S. Bray, dean of the School of Education, accused Snyder of promoting underage drinking, the suit states.

The federal lawsuit seeks at least $75,000 in damages. Millersville spokeswoman Janet Kacskos referred questions to a state System of Higher Education spokesman, who declined comment."

This is the offending picture...and yes, it is silly.

0426072pirate1.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Yeah but who knows what's in the cup? Silly schools...

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help....

Her reputation was her livelihood.

I'm a pirate, love. By nature and by choice!

My inner voice sometimes has an accent!

My wont? A delicious rip in time...

When I first read the story, there was no picture included and I thought "It must be one awful picture". I did not imagine a stupid plastic pirate hat and a Mister Goodbar cup.

This is what I was thinking...

33598033_3263c8b016.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

That's just crap.

Drinking is required to be a teacher.

Hmmph.

This is what I was thinking...

33598033_3263c8b016.jpg

That was our end of the year party last year...

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

:blink:

I agree. That was just stupidity upon the school's part. Discrimination in my opinion. Besides, they had no right to segregate her for something on MySpace!

Discrimination in my opinion! Shoot! They should have NOT given the whole class their diplomas cause guaranteed they all drank, too!

Hopefully this woman is awarded MUCH more than what she's sueing for.

~Lady B

:blink:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 1 month later...