PYRACY PUB ARTISTS

Ransom

I have seen several examples of artists joining together to make artist's journals. It involves a group of maybe 10-12 artists, each with their own blank book. They decorate the cover and the first two to three pages. It is then rotated among the rest, who each embellish two to three pages with their artwork. At the end of the prescribed time, each artist ends up with a book containing work from all the other participants. There is usually a theme. Naturally, this one would by pyracy, which leaves the subjects for artwork wide open - anything from tropical islands, to pictures of parrots. The mediums used could be anything from rubber stamps, stencils, clip art, to photographs. With the stipulation that it be a medium based work, not word based, although words, and quotes could be included in the artwork.

IT WOULD INVOLVE A COMMITMENT. Books would be forwarded on in rotation either by month, or 1st and 15th of the month. If once a month, you wouldn't get your book back for a year. If the 1st and 15th, it would only take six months, which is the time frame I recommend.

To be brief. 12 artists max. Books passed on the 1st and 15th, gives each artist at least two weeks to do two to three pages. Keep the books fairly small - such as the easily available black, 9" x 6" ring-bound artists sketch books. These fit easily into a mailing envelope and would make forwarding the books on to the next artist relatively cheap. All books would be in rotation at the same time, so all books would be finished at the same time. I would also suggest we keep it to artist within the US and Canada, due to the overseas mailing expense.

Once the rotation started, the project would become closed to any late comers wanting to join in.

So, anyone out there interested? I think it would be a fun project, that would leave each participant with a great keepsake.

Ransom

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pondering this heavily. And may step up to the challenge. Sounds like fun.

Aye, add m' name to the list.

~Lady B

:lol:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

If this project is a go, I won't start it until after Pt. Washington, due to the preparation others, and maybe myself, will be doing. That gives people a little more time to think it over, and hopefully join in the fun. I think to make it worth the effort, we'd need at least five artists. However, if it ends up being just us four, and you all still want to do it, then I'm fine with that.

If we get five to sign on, then each could be working on their cover and three - four pages, then the rotation would be ready to go, say, by June 15th. I know that seems a long time out, but if I end up going to Pt. Washington (I'll know by tomorrow - it's a matter of plane schedules) then I'll have to make coat, breeches, and a weskit in a month - and at this point, I don't even have fabric!

If Port Washington turns out to be a bust for me, and if Lady B isn't snowed under with preparations, then we could start earilier, say May 15th.

Any suggestions/questions are more than welcome. :unsure:

R

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

'Twould be a goode way for me t' keep my story notes in line.

Sounds like fun. Pen-and-ink, pencil, or whatever suits you?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

This is soo kewl. More the merrier.

Any art work style/medium is fine. This is not "fine art" nor is it meant to be "period". It is a fun project with a pirate theme. I have merely made suggestions. You can google Artist Journals and get more ideas. Each book can and will be different. They don't all have to be the same size. I only suggested the 9" x 6" because they are easy to find and cheap. Your book can be smaller, but for mailing ease, I wouldn't go bigger.

Materials, as I said, can be anything from rubber stamps, stencils, paints, pencil, crayons, clip art, to your own personal drawing. I tend to do collage, with my own drawings as part of the whole, but each person can do what is easiest/most fun for them. FUN is the main idea.

It turns out I will be going to Port Washington, so will be madly sewing and getting some kind of kit together. I won't be home until 6-4, and will probably need three days to recover! :lol: So, it looks like June 15 will be the start date.

I am also wondering about the reliability of the postal service. On the first rotation, lets see how long it takes each of us to get the books, then decide how much time between rotations we may need. I don't want someone to not get a book until the 8th and only have a week to work on it.

I am so glad you want to participate, and as before, any suggestions/questions - fire away!

R

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

X count me in!

My only problem is that I know how lax I am with any project. I vote for the 2 week time frame it will force me to attend to it as soon as it arrives. If we could know in advance when the journal would be arriving that would be helpful.

I'm so glad more of you have signed on! The first rotation will start on June 15th. Right now I'm too swamped by preparations for Port Washington, to be able to get a journal out. That gives you plenty of time to prepare the cover, and two or three pages of your own work in the book before the rotation starts.

Let me refresh the rules a bit. Each person does just one journal. That journal is then passed around the loop of artists every two weeks - 1st and the 15th of each month. At the end of the project, each artist will have his/her journal back full of artwork by all the others. This is NOT like the plunder thread, where you had to make a gift for each person participating. You only need one book to pass around. ***Also, due to the short time frame between rotations, the cost of mailing, and the risk of loss, I still would prefer to keep the books in the US or Canada - at least for this first time.*** If all goes well, we can do it again on a monthly rotation, which would give more time for the books to travel across the pond.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

The roster and rotation order is this, so far. "V" means who would pass their books on to whom. The rotation would stay in that order - I would then pass Silkie's book on to Boots, he would pass mine on to Patrick...etc.

Ransom

V

Boots

V

Patrick Hand

V

Lady B

V

Captain P.E.W

V

Silkie

V (to me, or the next to sign on before the deadline)

If for any reason you feel you can't commit, please post it here before the rotation starts. Once it gets going, you really must finish it, to make it fair for eveyone. After the rotation starts, the project is closed to any late comers wanting to join in. It would get too confusing.

The fun begins June 15th. :D Any medium you want, any style you want. :D

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I'm so glad more of you have signed on! The first rotation will start on June 15th. Right now I'm too swamped by preparations for Port Washington, to be able to get a journal out. That gives you plenty of time to prepare the cover, and two or three pages of your own work in the book before the rotation starts.

Let me refresh the rules a bit. Each person does just one journal. That journal is then passed around the loop of artists every two weeks - 1st and the 15th of each month. At the end of the project, each artist will have his/her journal back full of artwork by all the others. This is NOT like the plunder thread, where you had to make a gift for each person participating. You only need one book to pass around. Also, due to the short time frame between rotations, the cost of mailing, and the risk of loss, I still would prefer to keep the books in the US or Canada - at least for this first time. If all goes well, we can do it again on a monthly rotation, which would give more time for the books to travel across the pond.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

The roster and rotation order is this, so far. "V" means who would pass their books on to whom. The rotation would stay in that order - I would then pass Silkie's book on to Boots, he would pass mine on to Patrick...etc.

Ransom

V

Boots

V

Patrick Hand

V

Lady B

V

Captain P.E.W

V

Silkie

V (to me, or the next to sign on before the deadline)

If for any reason you feel you can't commit, please post it here before the rotation starts. Once it gets going, you really must finish it, to make it fair for eveyone. After the rotation starts, the project is closed to any late comers wanting to join in. It would get too confusing.

The fun begins June 15th. :D Any medium you want, any style you want. :D

Is it just oversight, or is there a specific reason why I'm not on the list of contributors?

No insult intended, HildeKitten. I've PMed you, and hope you understand.

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a reminder for those participating in the journal exchange, that June 15th is the first rotation date. Anyone wanting to join in can do so up until then, but after the rotation starts, it's a closed game.

I'll be leaving for Pt. Washington tomorrow, and won't be back until 2 am next Tuesday morning. After recuperating for a day or two, I'll start on my journal pages.

Please, please, those of you who have signed on for this, promise that you will stay with it until the end, so the exchange is fair for everyone.

I'll post another reminder once I get back from PW.

Those that have already agreed to play, please reconfirm one more time before we start.

THANKS!!!! B)B)

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

I made a sketchbook....

One sheet of cardstock, and then 15 sheets of paper (folded in half so it makes 60 pages).... I sewed them all together through the center, and then glued on a leather cover..... it came out nice, and it is small enough to send through the Mail....

But I thought of something......

If there are going to be 15 Sketchbook in circulation..... and all of them sent out at the same time (twice a Month) that means that each of us will be receiving and sketching in, and sending out 15 Sketchbooks every two weeks.......YIKES !

Maybe it would work better if we only sent them out once a month.... it would give us more time to do our artwork, and would not be such a hastle to get them mailed on time.......

So it would take over a year for them to compleate thier circuit, but it would sux for the project to break-up because of frustration due to too tight of a schedule.......

I made a sketchbook....

One sheet of cardstock, and then 15 sheets of paper (folded in half so it makes 60 pages).... I sewed them all together through the center, and then glued on a leather cover..... it came out nice, and it is small enough to send through the Mail....

Sounds excellent Mister Hand. Any chance at a picture? As for the paper inside, what thickness art paper did you use? Finished book size would be roughly 4"x 6.5"?

But I thought of something......

If there are going to be 15 Sketchbook in circulation..... and all of them sent out at the same time (twice a Month) that means that each of us will be receiving and sketching in, and sending out 15 Sketchbooks every two weeks.......YIKES !

Maybe it would work better if we only sent them out once a month.... it would give us more time to do our artwork, and would not be such a hastle to get them mailed on time.......

Aye. I have the summer off, but it would be nice not to have a "deadline" as such. If there are 12 contributors, then a completed book would take a year to return?

Pieter_Claeszoon__Still_Life_with_a.jpg, Skull and Quill Society thWatchDogParchmentBanner-2.jpg, The Watch Dog

"We are 21st Century people who play a game of dress-up and who spend a lot of time pissing and moaning about the rules of the game and whether other people are playing fair."

DOH.... I figured it out..... they would all go in a circuit, so each person would only be getting one each period... not 15 at once......

For example..... each period, I would recieve one of the sketchbooks from Captain P.E.W., and be sendning the one that I finished drawing in to False Ransom....

So maybe twice a month isn't too much to do....

Here is a photo of the Sketchbook that I made....

Sketchbook.jpg

Closed, it measures approxamently 7" x 5 1/5"

DOH.... I figured it out..... they would all go in a circuit, so each person would only be getting one each period... not 15 at once......

For example..... each period, I would recieve one of the sketchbooks from Captain P.E.W., and be sendning the one that I finished drawing in to False Ransom....

So maybe twice a month isn't too much to do....

Here is a photo of the Sketchbook that I made....

Sketchbook.jpg

Closed, it measures approxamently 7" x 5 1/5"

That's it exactly, Patrick. You only get one book at a time, not 7. That would be WAY too much to ask of anyone. Each book goes in a circle until it gets back to it's original owner.

Whew, back from PW, very tired, and with no voice (was fighting a cold all weekend). But, ready to get the books started.

Your handmade book is awesome, Patrick. Is there anything you can't make? :huh:

I know I've said it before, but I want to restate it again. This is not meant to be a period correct journal. It is for fun, and you can use photos, ink, pencile, clip art, stamps, stenciles, paint, crayons...literally anything you can glue or stick on a page - as long as it stays with the pirate theme.

So, June 15th is the deadline. Here is the rotation order again. IF YOU WANT TO BACK OUT, NOW IS THE TIME.

Ransom

V

Boots

V

Patrick

V

Lady Barbossa

V

Captain P.E.W.

V

Silkie

V

Ransom

Let the fun begin! :huh:

RAKEHELL-1.jpg