What's your favorite bird?

I was standing on a loading dock yesterday with a guy, and while we were talking a bald eagle flew overhead about forty feet up, fairly close. I think it was a younger one, wingspan probably less than four feet. The WI DNR has been reintroducing them in the area (central state), although they're pretty common on the Mississippi.

It was cool to see, and they really are majestic birds (despite Ben Franklin's low opinion of them).

It's nice to see that kind of natural beauty in the course of a day. Made me feel good.

Pauly caught a bullet

But it only hit his leg

Well it should have been a better shot

And got him in the head

They were all in love with dyin'

They were drinking from a fountain

That was pouring like an avalanche

Coming down the mountain

Butthole Surfers,

PEPPER

Peregrine falcons

About 5 years ago I was sitting out in my yard, with my kid, the neighbor & her kids and the multitude of local dogs. About 20 feet away drops a peregrine falcon! I believe my exact comment was "What the hell kind of bird is that. Is that a....oh my god!"

The falcon sat there in the yard for a long minute then hopped, and I mean hopped into the tree behind him, sat there for a while and then glided, very low down the center of the street.

As it turns out, the old nuclear power plant in the town just south was known for having several peregrine falcons living in the towers. I guess they are known for living at the tops of the tallest skyscrapers too. We were just the lucky ones that he felt like paying a visit to.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

My favorite bird is this one.

This is a picture of him playing with us in the bathroom a few weeks ago. He really likes his new friends ( a 3-way bathroom mirror)

hook055.jpg

I am not Lost .,I am Exploring.

"If you give a man a fire, he will be warm for a night, if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life!"

The Corvidae family.... Very intelligent....

and Accipiters...

My family coat of arms features a Falcon... of course I like 'em!

:blink:

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Parrots. They were considered a delicacy in Port Royal. Would have liked to have tried one.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

songbirds.........in particular cardinals and chickadees

Mud Slinging Pyromanic , Errrrrr Ship's Potter at ye service

Vagabond's Rogue Potter Wench

First Mate of the Fairge Iolaire

Me weapons o choice be lots o mud, sharp pointy sticks, an string

Yum - love squab on a stick...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

At the moment, for me it would have to be a raven - naturally ;)

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Chapman... I agree with ya about the Bald Eagle. They are awesome to watch. Oddly enough, during the winter season, there are at least 5 perhaps 7 Bald Eagles in Cedar Rapids. And will see at least 1 a few times a year.

Peregrine Falcons are an awesome sight, too. A few in downtown CR.

The Redtail Hawks are a joy to watch and see often.

But I have to admit... my fave... has to be the small Sparrow Hawks. They look much like a falcon and there are plenty around here. Oddly enough, there is one that is around the Equestrian Center at Kirkwood and I consitute it as a grand sign.

I'd LOVE to do Falconry someday. And if I do... I'd want a Sparrow Hawk. They remind me of the Egyptian Falcons that represent Horus.

And of course, as myth... the Phoenix.

~Lady B

:huh:

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

What's your favorite bird?

Not the one folks like to share out their car window... :ph34r:

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

<_<<_<:o

I'm also rather fond of the Ospreys that live in our neck of the woods. To see one dive over the river and grab a fish is pretty awesome. Especially when, during concerts in the park, they perch in the trees and drop fish parts on people!

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Actually, the Bald Eagle is not my favorite bird. It was just really cool to see one in such an unexpected place. My favorite bird is the bluejay. Why, you ask? Well, I can't think of a time I ever went out hunting when I didn't have some loudmouthed bluejay announcing my presence to everyone and their last removed cousin, and I respect people or things that aren't afraid of things bigger than them. Also, years ago myself and a crew (construction kind) got kind of attached to one particular bluejay.

There was an enormous mulberry tree in the back forty of the subdivision, and since we were building some bazillion-dollar mansion we were there for a while. This bluejay would come by every day and eat fermented mulberries off the ground until he was too drunk to fly, and by around 2 PM he was usually too drunk to even hop.

We'd seen some stray cats around, and since the general consensus was that getting eaten for overindulging was kind of a stiff form of DUI, we started taking care of him. This guy Bob built a box out of molding scraps and nailed it up in the tree, and for a couple weeks, one of us would go out every afternoon and check on Jay, and if he was too drunk to get up, we'd put him in his little box to sleep it off.

The general (contractor) thought we were nuts, but we kind of liked Jay.

B)

Pauly caught a bullet

But it only hit his leg

Well it should have been a better shot

And got him in the head

They were all in love with dyin'

They were drinking from a fountain

That was pouring like an avalanche

Coming down the mountain

Butthole Surfers,

PEPPER

Harris hawks. They looks like a red tail but lives in family groups. Its not unusual ta see 4 or 5 within a hundred yard radius. Noisy critters when they be all lined up across the chicken coop hopin' fer roof failure :huh:

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.