Fort Zachary Taylor update for PIP 2007

William Brand

And that is Jim standing atop the fort wall on the left.

So it is! I'll bet that was just before/after I hailed you from the top, too.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we camped in the trees above the west beach (from the building center and left) several hundred yards from there to the point this shot shows some of the coral that was laying around on the ground

bootsKW.jpg

yeah i know the tent was selling boots but that year i was working renfaires and my boss wanted me to be in key west ....won't be making that mistake again!!! :blink:

To clarify then, the merchants (sutlers) and the encampments will all be in the same place, as will the entertainment and the all the activities. Also the part above the beach is ideal for cannon fire, far better than the fort if we're all over there anyway.

-- Hurricane

So from the pics posted by Mary Diamond, we'll be in the point and west beach area. Correct?

I have to agree with Hurricane. This seems like much more sense than trying to have the cannons shoot all the way over from the fort. It's better to consolidate the ship, the red cannons as well as the pirates on the shore closer... For the crowd that is!!

The idea machine is turning!!!

BTW: is there any compensation for Shark attack??? That would be totally legendary if 'ol Rats got himself nipped!!!

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

So from the pics posted by Mary Diamond, we'll be in the point and west beach area. Correct?

BTW: is there any compensation for Shark attack??? That would be totally legendary if 'ol Rats got himself nipped!!!

Aye, in the trees of the Southwestern area. As for sharks...we'll make a song about you and drink to you in every year to come.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

When the cannon fire was along the beach it was awesome because the ships can get in much closer to respond in kind. It's quite amazing with the flintlocks blazing, cannon going off on shore and aboard ship.

Also, it doesn't draw people away from the camps or the sutlers, which is important. In the heat it's not a pleasant trek from the beach to the fort and back. And many just would go to the fort, watch the cannons and leave the event... not good for all of us trying to teach, sell and entertain.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Then it's an excellent move to have the camp there!

Let's face it, we're there to have fun... But with out the spectator support, we're out in the cold and the rum is suddenly all gone!

Which is why we don't have a problem working with the reds. Besides, if there isn't an effective antagonist for the "good guys" there's no reason for mixing it up.

Any word as to how many reds and cannon are planning to show???

Rats

sig2.jpg

You do have to be careful running about because the coral is a dangerous thing. In the battle on the fort in 2005, I tripped in the coral at a dead sprint and turned my ankle. Of course, I kept my tongue and didn't make a sound because I had it in for redcoats and I wasn't going to let a turned ankle stop me from guttin' a soldier or two.

Still, in hindsight, I was very lucky I didn't do more significant damage.

Can the hanging be done on one of the Fort Walls?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Can't find any previous posts about PIP 2006, but I found these on my computer by accident as I was cleaning up , maybe you can find yourselves in there somehwere:

IMG_0680.jpg

From the left: Bawdy Be, Flintlock Jack (Amanjira), Meself, Rusty Wild Rice, Silky, unknown Pyrate, Patirick Hand and on the right, two unknown pyrates closest to the camera and Braze.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Can the hanging be done on one of the Fort Walls?

The walls are 25-30 feet tall. How's your safety gear?

Can the gallows be set up on top of one of the walls? as to our safety gear, tried and true...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

The gallows would be too far away from the bulk of the activities. Again, it's dangerous to keep moving people between two locations. Been tried there before. Failed miserably. We need to learn from the past and keep everything together at the beach during construction... You can't even see the fort from the location of the rest of the festival. You would have to move everyone out to the empty field which is a bit of a walk in the heat and is often used for overflow parking.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I take it the gaol would be a long haul as well, since I doubt its near the trees and beach? Okay need to pack all the shackles then...

any chance of a decent cart or wagon?

Crewe of the Archangel

It would be ideal for it to be Calico Jack that be hung since the tryal of Anne and Mary is on the weekend. Would be nice to see old Jack's body swaying in the distance.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

:lol: unfortunately for others (or maybe fortunatly) we prefer to hang those in our group...for obvious saftey reason...been practiced...and the rig pinches a little...a bruise to one of us, probably had it commin...to someone else we just met?...well we just don't want t hurt any feelings....tho any for our group could change sides/characters to fit nearly any scenario..... :lol:
th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

It would be ideal for it to be Calico Jack that be hung since the tryal of Anne and Mary is on the weekend. Would be nice to see old Jack's body swaying in the distance.

Yah know..... that might "tie in" nicely..... something to think about........

The "Hanging Of Capt Calico Jack" (even with the stupid Disney "tie-ins"... well the name....)

The Trial of Bonny and Mary is a tradition at PiP..... so it might work to do the hanging with some one that was Ol' Jack (that's Captain Jack...) <sorry>

What would it take to do so... a fancy coat... and some different dialog.......

Hey..... maybe something to think about..........

Yes, the gang that does the hanging can on of their own crew to be Calico - no one there does a representation of Calico. But it would be a cool precursor to the tryal...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

The location of the trial is in question due to the construction at the fort. With construction beginning in July, we might not know until then, and it may be a decision that is made once we are there. I will let all of you know once Harry has more information for us.

Great ideas folks!

I'm just wondering.... wasn't the idea to keep folks at the camps, the beach and the merchants and to assist the Wolf with their endevor...?? (3 times a day firing from the beach??) Avoid moving folks needlessly(heat, terrain, travel time, vendors??) to and from the fort (so they don't skin out early)...????

Also I think the real story is with Reid and Bonny... If I'm not mistaken, Calico was just their meal ticket and something of a goof.... To go through the trouble of a hanging for calico????

MHO... Let the ladies have their day in court and laugh at jack as he's marched off very patheticly to the gallows.... WHy go through the trouble when it's about the ladies???? It just takes away from their presentation... I think we should let the ladies have their day... They've been a regular show and they deserve the credit without having calico detract from what they do...

Now if a hanging is needed... One can be arranged.... Only it should be part of and help the bigger program..... or it can be done at the end of the day when we could care less if the crowds go to the fort and leave...

It might even be a good way to end the day..... hanging and big fanale free for all in the fort....

The crowds can even be led to the fort by the reenactors in a big group (like we have done at midway) to ensure proper and safe placement.... (especially with the constructiono) So as not to get in the way of the show...Then if they want to leave... Let em! The day is over and we the reenactors can enjoy the tavern in the fort.

JMHO

:lol:

sig2.jpg