1680 Port Royal

hurricane

Greetings all!

The Buccaneer encampment is rollilng right along. We will be portraying life in Port Royal in 1680, just at the end of the buccaneer era there. Port Royal was at the height of its prosperity and power at this time, the devastating earthquake still 12 years away.

Since pewter-ware has been arriving here in the past few days, we wanted to share our excitement and enthusiasm for the project.

We have 10 to 13 in the camp so far. Most of it is our own crewe but others are welcome.

Over the next few weeks I and others will be posting more about our activities. Suffice it to say, our adventures in period Port Royal will be a lively affair, with a cast of historical characters including the likes of Harry Morgan and the German Princess.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Okay, so there is to be a Port Royal "camp" and a careening camp at PiP this year?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Aye. Hurricane volunteered to bring his expertise on the subject of Port Royal to bear at this year's festival.

We will also have a "sutlers camp", and with some repairs being made to the fort this year, the exact placement of these camps has yet to be determined, but there will be three for certain.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Well we don't "sutle" anything at the moment... although with the past sock monkey thing... :rolleyes: . So, say if we were to fill in the gap and come as the heavies... either privateer/pirate hunters (God only knows how many redcoats we will accomplish by then... they are in the works) could we still occupy a place in one of the camps to be filler when not "attacking" opposing pirates?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Good to know... the wheels have commenced turning, will keep you posted.

Crewe of the Archangel

Ahoy there!

Yes, we finally got around to posting. We've been busy making basic plans for the buccaneer impression, which will be Port Royal, circa 1680. We think it will be a tavern or inn of sorts, since it is a good place to discuss the politics of the time. We'll be striving for an accurate presentation, though I'm told we can't serve manatee. Pity, that... I hear tell it tastes a bit like veal. But no matter.

We have begun to acquire goods - we already have some of the pewter ware that would have been around at the time, using photos of the artifacts from the city at the time.

It should be a grand time. Sir Harry was acting governor at the time, so it was an interesting time there. Pirates were being hung, but his fellow buccaneer cronies were still encouraged to do a bit of "trading" on the sly while enjoying the rights of landholders, having been granted plantation land by the acting governor. Imagine that!

As most of you know the city's wealth and stature rivaled that of colonial Boston. Trade was brisk and goods were bought and sold from Europe to the Far East there.

For those seeking costuming, Kass has perfect period pieces from the time for men and women. Check her stuff out.

Our own crewe is having regular sewing sessions every other weekend or so between now and then to fashion the necessary clothing. As for gear, we have a solid idea of what we need and will have that in the near future.

We have already been testing recipes that would be appropriate to Port Royal in 1680. Made some killer Onion Soup that all enjoyed this evening.

More coming soon!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Although we originally wanted to build an entire tavern at the fort (we have the set pieces), we decided to go with a tented solution instead. A painting of period Port Royal shows a tent across from the Catt & Fiddle tavern near the waterfront, and it is providing our inspiration.

In essence, we will be an overflow of the tavern, part merchant, part tavern in the space. These were actually fairly common since merchants were eager to make a buck regardless of how they had to do it. So there was a lot of multi-function enterprises in town.

Since a full fledged tavern would have required us to have 5,000 clay pipes in it (that's what they found in the tavern that was excavated there, the one we're patterning ours after, we will cut some corners obviously where it doesn't affect the impression.

We envision a fairly large tent area since it will house re-enactors and serve as the tavern itself with benches for people to sit. We expect to have a few flagons on hand by then as well as serving pieces. Anyone who wants to participate is welcome to bring along their own period ware. We can provide direction, using Simon Benning's pieces that were recovered from the site.

As I said earlier, life was as good if not better than it was in London at the time. Thanks to the large amount of smuggling and trading going on as well as the raids on Spanish, if you could think it up back then you could get it in Port Royal. Fashions were equal to London and mirrored the times.

I can supply a list of people who were in town and their occupations if you like to give you an idea of who was who then.

Once I get back from PyrateCon I will have some photos to share of the fashions of the times, every day wares, and architecture.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

More likely under a large open tent. The illustrations and few paintings of PR at the time show temporary businesses in any of the open spaces, particularly near the harbor. This would be one of those places. With 8000 people in town on 55 acres, there was little room for new buildings so everyone just picked a place to do business until one of the available retail buildings opened up.

Here's a typical building of the time. This is what one of the inns would have looked like. The lower level was for shops, taverns and such with the upper floors used for the inn. The merchant homes were even more splendid in size and design.

cox-inn-m.jpg

A little ambitious for us to tackle... :P

Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

cox-inn-m.jpg

A little ambitious for us to tackle... :P

Hurricane

Aye, but should you ever wish to, you have my blessing. That's a nice little parcel of a building, isn't it...? Still, the tent tavern is going to be loads of fun. I look forward to it very much.

• 3 months later...

Ahoy, is there any update of the actual layout of the 3 - 4 different camp and sutler, tavern areas that will be occupied ? the buccaneer emcampment will there be the tavern tent close by or next to the camp tents ,shorter wobble back to my bunk. or is it more of a setup as you get there ,any update as of yet ? i'ma getting excited 4 mounths to go, i was there in 05 missed 06 and looking forward to 07

Ahoy, is there any update of the actual layout of the 3 - 4 different camp and sutler, tavern areas that will be occupied ? the buccaneer emcampment will there be the tavern tent close by or next to the camp tents ,shorter wobble back to my bunk. or is it more of a setup as you get there ,any update as of yet ? i'ma getting excited 4 mounths to go, i was there in 05 missed 06 and looking forward to 07

In a word, no.

There are some details which cannot be completed until the fort gets the go ahead on repairs this year. They were supposed to have started them in June, but Harry is still waiting for word on the matter.

Government funding. Government timetable.

Only the individual kits are being discussed. Hurricane can answer any questions about the 1680 encampment as far as the placement of the tents for his group, but the other two camps are primarily just tent towns with the various sundry props.

I am also awaiting a map of the exact camping areas. Once I have that I can show it to everyone.

Please maintain this level of enthusiasm. All will be answered in time.

We just received word from Harry. We will be inside the fort.

Our store will be where it was last year in the casement. Our encampment will be to the right of it, if you're facing the fort. We will have a tentage extending out from the casement. Our tavern (The Catt & Fiddle - which was there in 1680) will be in the casement itself. We will have benches and tables.

The front will have an awning under which we will be playing period games for kids. The tavern will have period games as well for the grown ups. We will be having lively discussions of upcoming voyages, past adventures and island politics. I will be seeding you all with history and information.

As for camping, we will be in the casement behind our store and Port Royal. The sleeping quarters will only be visible after hours at the fort when it's bed time so no need to be period. All camping gear will be under tarps and crates and in our barrels during the day.

We have period pewter plates and wine goblets we've stolen from those Spanish bastards in Panama. We will be having a listing of provisions soon ----

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny