ROYALISTE/ Beaufort

Ahoy and Avast!....After a trying voyage up the Intercoastal Waterway, this battered privateer now sits in port with the brigantine MEKA II in Beaufort, NC. I gotta admit, it looks pretty salty with a privateering duo at anchor in a small town location such as this. Many thanks to all who have helped us out from the disaster over a month ago. Sadly, now the real work is just beginning. We are scheduled for haulout next week, and the repair list just keeps growing. I'm searching out some wood this morning, and then I'll start the layup for the mizzen boom repair. Might just finish it before we haul. Once the ship hits the boatyard, it'll be helter-skelter starting the work in several directions at once, as most things require either drying, glueing, caulking painting or sanding, leaving time in-between ops.... If you're in the area, stop on by and say 'Yaaargh!'.....Careful, tho', as Blackbeard's ghost is rumoured to roam hereabouts!....

:o

Aye, a great and pirate-friendly port to be in, and ye could not hope for a finer friend than Capt. Sinbad of the Meka II. Be sure to explore the old cemetary if you have a chance while in port. Many other things of interest to see if time permits....

>>>> Cascabel

Welcome Back to NC. Dr. Nateman & crowd should be most willing to help you in your needs. Also, William in the Boat House, across the museum on Front St., can help you in your woodshop needs. Swell woodshop with giant planers! Of course, Sinbad is quite proud of his wood shop. Hope to see ye in May at the Wooden Boat Show.

Best regards to ye & yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Best of luck with the haulout. If you make it up to Alaska in the next few years, I'll definitely come down and give you a hand (and, what all tall ship sailors wish for after being at sea: a shower, a full kitchen, a good meal, and a bottle of yer favorite poison). Glad to see she's back on an even keel. Best of luck!!!

Coastie :rolleyes:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

....(puts down planer, drags carcass to the ladder, and crawls aboard)...Funny you should mention it, mate...We'd gladly take any and all the help available....Cap'n Kat 'n me onesies are draggin' butt in this 'ere humididity....If'n ye be serious, we're in Core Creek Marine, next to Jarret's Bay..U.S. 70 to 101, then a frew miles out to Steel Tank Road..Right turn, then another right at the Jarret's signage..Straight ahead until ya see a square-rigged Pyrat Ship!.....email for my cell #

• 5 weeks later...

WOOOOO-HOOOOO!!!!............ROYALISTE relaunch!..We're back in the water again!...After a long month on the hard repairing the bottom and all else critical, and a hard recovery and even harder work since January, ROYALISTE is afloat and feeling frisky, and docked at the Old Beaufort Seaport. Don't get me wrong, there's still a ton of work above the waterline and on deck getting things workwise for the season. We're here livin' up to our accord with the North Carolina Maritime Museum, open to the public four days a week from 10 to 5..A pile of school groups bent on learnin' more about piracy this week, and the Wooden Boat Show next week. As far as the Tallship events, we've decided to cancel everything north of the Chesapeake..Canada is devastated,( they were really looking forward to 'pirates') but we figure it best to do Hampton, and Norfolk, then head back south to make changes and more repairs instead of beating the ship for a hard season after the grounding. We're really sorry to have to make this decision, but sometimes you have to regroup, and then expand once again... Personally, I'm really bummed( a nautical term) but it's a huge thing, trying to run this show on my meager disability retirement.....

:ph34r:

ROYALISTE Back from Davy Jones' Locker..........

Good news, indeed. Continued good luck in your season, and with on-going repairs. :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

...i know my son is looking forward to sailing with you beginning in Hampton

Since we are only appearing in Hampton and Norfolk, are you sure he's still interested?? ( Kathy had asked him to start an email dialog a while back, and she never heard from him again)..I have to send off a crew list to Norfolk tonight for homeland security,( I should have had it in by last week, but I've been overrun with the school tours singlehanded) so we'll add him to cover our arses anyhoo.....

:lol:

yes he is very interested i wasn't aware of that he should have been posting emails to Kathy .....i'll make sure he posts asap ....he's out at his prom this evening but when he's in tomorrow i'll strap the computer to his forehead so unntil he posts he can't do anything else!!! :ph34r::lol::lol::lol:

That'd be right proper,mate...We have a few blanks to fill in; not sure yet where we'll be betwixt Portsmouth and Hampton, altho' we will be in Hampton by Thursday....After all the hubbub in Norfolk, we're still in irons as for additions to the adventure, and we're not 100% on returning straight to Beaufort......

Well it sounds like a fine plan by the look of it! I got your emails and I can act and sing a bit, but I don't sing too well. I know some sailing, but it might be a little practice before I get it right. I do have to warn you though, I can't take commands that have colors in them because I am colorblind. It is rather odd that my father is a painter, but I colorblind... it doesn't make sense. I can't wait to hear from you! :unsure:

Good to hear from ya, matey!..We'll either tighten up them thar sailin' skills, or confuse ye totally!..We'll have along 'Desert Pirate', who's been around the ship for years, and he'll keep ya tuned up as far as the riggin'..Aloft it'll be, one time or another..As far as 'gunnin' goes, well.....RRRRRR gun s have spoken loudly on three coasts now, and once aqainted, methinks you'll become fond 'o the carronades....Aye!

Photos from NC Wooden Boat Show, May 5-7

Royaliste and Meka II docked at Olde Beaufort Seaport:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/100_3622.jpg

Repaired Starboard Stern of Royaliste:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/100_3627.jpg

Capt'n Gary & Coast Guard as visitors disembark:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/100_3628.jpg

Neat sail rig on a log-type canoe at Saturday's Show:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/2go...se/100_3629.jpg

• 5 years later...

Sound collision !
St.Helens, Oregon Maritime & Heritage Festival Opens with a Bang. Friday (July) 13, 2012. Portland Sternwheeler backs up and crashes into Pirate Ship Royalist, who then takes on water. Edited by Bright

Privateer Royaliste, the Sternwheeler Portland and the Very Bad Friday the 13th

Posted on July 18, 2012 by Rick Spilman

Correction: Based on local news reports, we originally posted that water pressure from the steamer Portland‘s paddle-wheel damaged the Royaliste. We were incorrect. The Portland clearly backed into the ketch, which was tied up alongside the dock. See the video below, which shows the impact. Thanks to Captain Larsen and Robert Kennedy for pointing out our error and to Alaric Bond for forwarding the video of the collision.

Friday, June 13th, should have been a great day at the first St. Helen’s Maritime Heritage Festival for both the 55′ privateer ketch Royaliste and the 186′ historic stern-wheel steamer Portland. Both ships were making debuts of a sort. The Royaliste has been undergoing extensive restoration for several years and her first public re-appearance was last Friday. Likewise, the sternwheeler Portland, built in 1949 and owned by the Oregon Maritime Museum, was carrying its first passengers down the Columbia River since a mechanical failure nearly sent it plummeting over the Bonneville Dam in 2008.

Unfortunately, things did not go well when the vessels crossed paths. The Royaliste was at the dock when the Portland came backing down. The sternwheeler’s rail struck the ketch’s starboard side, opening several seams in the ketch’s planking. (See the video below.) The Royaliste immediately began taking on water and was saved from sinking by portable pumps provided by U.S. Coast Guard and the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office marine unit. According to its Facebook page, the Royaliste has made it back to its home port in Schooner Creek and is being kept afloat by pumps pending the arrival of the insurance surveyors.http://youtu.be/ZsBOifSZOCc