Getting tentage ready for PIP

callenish gunner

Awww.... Come now these sharkies aren't all that bad. I surf Central Florida all the time. They really don't mess with you. Most of the time. :huh: Although would defer to Capt'n Jim on this one. I wouldn't see it as a big issue. Now "ya'll" west coaster have got the bigun's to deal with. Have seen a couple of Portuguese Man-of-wars that make me a bit nervous.

One of these days I'm going surfing fully garbed (well mostly) and going to have some pictures taken. Just for the fun it. :huh:

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for reference...

PC100012.jpg

This was on the beach with about three dozen of it's kin in West Palm Beach this past December....

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Dont worry about those pesky Man o' wars....got a sure fire remedy for whom ever gets entangled with one...a full bladder of beer/rum/grog from the night before...undo a few buttons....and there be the cure...im talkin about amonia...takes the sting out...only hard part is to keep the victim talked into keeping still long enough for a bunch of pirates to make water on them...trust me.... :huh:

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

for those of us flying in from the inland gulf states(michigan)...with tentage/tarps...how easy are tent poles/stakes/or various sticks can be rumaged from the nearby shores? Key west isn't exactly known for their forest...excet for the mangroves that is..... :huh:

The Fort has some tent poles avalible for our use..... and there is a Hardware store in town if we need to buy some more........

I'm not sure about tent steaks and rope..... but that's light enough to fly with... (As long as your arms don't get tired .......) :lol:

for those of us flying in from the inland gulf states(michigan)...with tentage/tarps...how easy are tent poles/stakes/or various sticks can be rumaged from the nearby shores? Key west isn't exactly known for their forest...excet for the mangroves that is..... :lol:

Fear not. There's a Home Depot on Roosevelt. A visiting Pirates headquarters it is...

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

and i'll make sure i have at least a dozen extra pins to top the poles with and a drill ... i'll try to bring a few extra poles to leave at the fort as well .... :lol::lol:;)

i sure want to do whatever it takes to make this as big as we can to draw the crowds in ....

Thanxs mates for the poles....just heard that our capn (of the archangel) may just be driving down (from virginia)...the capn might be able to stow some of the crewes gear poles included...as long as i meet up with them before december....if thats the case might be bringin a bigger camp kit...more canvas and stuff to fil it!??!...i know the keys are a lot of sand on a lot of coral....hows the ground for stakes? do ye need to bring extra long or extra strong stakes? or should we just find a "new recruit" to stand there and hold the ropes for the night? :lol:

:lol::lol: He be holding my tent first!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Oh now there's an idea... :lol:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Well I guess the easy thing to do would be to buy some yardage of hemp. Make a small model of a wedge tent. Put something in the tent to check for leakage. (Bathroom tissue comes to mind.) Start up the hose and sprinkle the tent. See what happens. I would try it except I haven't bough any hemp canvas yet.  :rolleyes:

A friend of mine once made a handsewn wool tent and used this exact same means of testing... It worked well (both the tent and the means of testing it)...

I've priced out hemp canvas for the size I need... and well let's just say I can't quite afford that this year... :rolleyes:

I know I have seen cotton/linen blend canvas for a pretty reasonable price before (I think it was a 55/45% blend). A quick search on google has found me some of this, but in colours I would rather not use. Does anyone know off hand a link to a seller of this type of material that has "natural" colour?

For others that may want to do an upgrade from cotton canvas (which sells at most Walmarts for as little as $4.44 a yard) but can't afford to spend the $16 to $20 or more average price for Hemp or Pure linen canvas, this may be a good middle ground if it can be found. B)

Edit - in case anyone may be interested in the linen/cotton canvas for cheap on sale, but only in colours, here is the link -> Linen/Cotton Blend Canvas

While I didn't find the specific link I was thinking about when I wrote my previous post.... I did enough searching around to learn that linen/cotton blends are called fustians... and then a google search and some browsing through the results found me this Fustian canvas source that is AMAZINGLY cheap. in various weights...

Fustian Canvas source

It seems that Fustian canvas can be got for almost as cheap as cotton canvas for those who are leaning towards making their own shelters.

Michael_banner.jpg

So I was thinking about getting my fabric from here. (Recommended by GoF)

I wanted to know if the 18.5 oz. will be too heavy or just fine. Anyways probably going to get some in the next week or 2. Thanks!

HempTraders

Great source on canvas! Good prices! Thanks for sharing that.

As for the weight, Patrick Hand seems to have the most experience with this, in a previous post by him (I forget if the post was on Twill or here), I think he recomended a mid-weight (10 or 12 oz.?) as ideal....

The 18.5 oz. I am guessing would work just as good if not better than the lighter stuff, it would just be more of a pain to lug around. If you aren't planning to do any trekking with it though, i would guess that the 18.5 oz would be perfect.

I guess it is a case of intended purpose and desired versatility.

Michael_banner.jpg

????? tent poles, i've already painted them primer gray for my wedge tent and dinning fly,or do they need, have to be natural . i'm in hurricanes crew, "buccaneer" but wouldn't a wedge tent be closer to the 1720 type camp?

hmmm...I don't know about the color, but I doubt the wedge will be out of place in the buccaneer camp. Since the camps will be relatively close to one another, you might consider yourself of both camps, but being a part of Hurricane's crew...

...I'm talking in circles. Sorry. You may choose where to stay.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I wanted to know if the 18.5 oz. will be too heavy or just fine.

Good question. Tarp or tent? How big? Hand sewn or machine? period panel width, ie. 2' between seams?

Their 12 oz is "tightly woven" so it might be more waterproof than the 18.5, it is more than 1/3rd lighter, a bit cheaper, and should be easer to sew (18.5oz is too heavy for most machines, in fact 12 oz is pushing it)

On the other hand the 18.5 is probably more like what was used for large sails. For smaller sails?

As I said Good question!

We are gettin' too stinkin' wierd.....

hemp... linen tarps..... cool.....

Hadnsewn cool.........

BUT.... that is not required .......

A machine sewn cotton tarp..... still is just as acceptable......

No one is going to go up to your tarp....tent... whatever... and "feel" the cloth to make sure it it period correct......

And they couldn't tell anyway.....

We are a bunch of hard-core reenactors talking abot what tent "WE" would have..... but we have forgotten that not everyone else is as " Rabid" as us.................

Rabid ... is cool...... but that dedication is not required for PiP.......

So can we get it back to two different discussions.....

Period ....Tents/Tarps....

Semi-Period Tents/tarps....

Both work....

If I show up at PiP with a hand sewn hemp sail/tarp...... it's just because I'm kinda stupid... and think that's fun.... If you show up with a chunka canvas....make it into a tarp... that is just as cool.............

Hey.. maybe a key West............. PiP... Kinda thing........................

Well said my friend!

It it works use it... only leave the coleman pop tent at home....please!!

I'd rather see the time and $$ into the other areas of their kit...

JMO

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

I guess I was coming off a little too serious... :( I tend to do that sometimes... (too many times so I am told)

As Patrick said, and I'm sure it has been posted several times in most of the threads about PIP, any reasonable effort will be great.

But there are a few of us keeners out here that are trying to aim high (we have plenty of time to do so as we have started early enough)... I'm aiming to not have to upgrade as my stuff for futures years or other re-enactments as much as possible. So if I can make stellar stuff at the get-go, that is what I will be doing. Much of the stuff I make for this effort will see use both before and after PIP in other venues as well, which is why I am aiming so high.

For those who don't have the time or resources, please don't let the insane efforts by those of us with too much time on our hands diminish what efforts you are willing or able to put into this, or make you feel like you have to try to put more into it than you reasonable have time for. Not everyone has the same amount of free time or the resources to sink into this as some of us do, and I'm sure all efforts will all be equally valuable and appreciated as contributions to making PIP a great event for everyone. B)

Michael_banner.jpg

Don't apologize for being too serious. We need a good mix of serious and relaxed, and those who can make expert kits should do so. I'm glad to see so many trying so hard. It means that PIP will have a fine camp that will make simple and great kits all look good.

If no one objects, I plan to take a lot of camp pictures for some painting projects, so I may ask a lot of you to lounge about the camp drinking and working for a photo op or two. I need a lot of references for some new art.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Sorry about that. :rolleyes: I was just wondering about that canvas. After pricing it out I think I may just go with a chunk of cotton canvas anyways and sink other funds else were. Still we can dream right? I need to make a whole lotta stuff and aquire shoes for both my wife and I and grab a flintlock or 2. Anyways just pointing that out for other to see. I'll keep you posted.