Getting tentage ready for PIP

callenish gunner

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wish you were closer. Red cedar is abundant and farmers will let you have all you want. It is rot resistant, bug proof, and weathers well forever if stored indoors when not in use. I give them away and make pole sets for people all the time.

Bo

How do we work out a deal to get some shipped to Fort Zachary Taylor for PIP?

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Sophia, I live in Missouri actually, not Louisiana, ;)

William, I don't know but I suppose I could talk to the folks at UPS. They have always been very freindly and are used to me shipping oddities such as swords and guns and stuff. I am surrounded by the stuff and we cut it off the roads and horse ranch constantly. Something to look into anyway.

Bo

Sophia, I live in Missouri actually, not Louisiana, :blink:

William, I don't know but I suppose I could talk to the folks at UPS. They have always been very freindly and are used to me shipping oddities such as swords and guns and stuff. I am surrounded by the stuff and we cut it off the roads and horse ranch constantly. Something to look into anyway.

Bo

LOL...I just caught that Bo (and I lived in MO for a short while..geez). :blink:

Shipping some of those down for PiP sounds like a very good idea. That'd help out alot of folks that might not find decent pole makin' materials.

Perhaps we'll meet again under better circumstances. ---(---(@

Dead Men...Tell No Tales.

Welcome, Foolish Mortals...

I may have a soloution if we can get enough interest. "What if..." I put together a small home-made trailer from salvage parts, lash on as many poles as is safe to do so, then; we start a relay from here to there with people that can meet and exchange the trailer . Each person pulls it a little further along until it makes it to Harry at the fort? Feedback?

Bo

I may have a soloution if we can get enough interest. "What if..." I put together a small home-made trailer from salvage parts, lash on as many poles as is safe to do so, then; we start a relay from here to there with people that can meet and exchange the trailer . Each person pulls it a little further along until it makes it to Harry at the fort? Feedback?

Bo

I would be interested in said arrangement, if Harry is willing to store the poles. That would solve a tent issue for myself, and, I should think, a number of others.

MDtrademarkFinal-1.jpg

Oooh, shiny!

We would have to ask Harry, but what if we could find some place around the Fort to kinda store tent poles (and they would be available for other use) Hey... a few years ago, the Civil War guys let us use their poles to set up our tents...)

A stack of poles is outta the way.. it adds some ( well very little ) ambivalence, to the setting...

And besides the way... Harry is so dang cool....not that we would ever take advantage of him.... but he is so willing to work with us, and let us do our thing... right about now.... I wanna hear three chears for Harry...

HIPP HIPP WORRA....

HIPP HIPP WORRA....

HIPP HIPP WORRA....

He talks to the State... (ergh... that has to be interesting...) he lets us do our stuff... ( hey we play within reason)and... he get sloshed with us wit rum.... wot more is there to think....? <funny picture should be posted here... but there is a possible bribe... so ......Pyrate... I gotta work on that first...>

Hay... it is all doable....

cool

I have access to about two hundred old boat trailers to modify for very little cost. I will inspect/replace bearings, make sure tires are good and there is a spare, lights are working, etc. Title for home-made trailers in MO is easy and cheap, so I won't have to put alot of coin in one. Once the trailer is there, Harry can decide if the fort can use it, or it can be auctioned off to donation for the fort. (Who cannot use a good cheap gear trailer?) Of course the title will be sent signed along with the trailer. I also have some tent stakes from a couple years ago that I didn't get sent. If Harry cannot keep them at the fort, maybe other arrangements can be made with someone local if the trailer and poles are kept together? Just some more brain droppings.

Bo

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy all!

Benerson Little wrote me today with an interesting addendum to his book on buccaneers, the Buccaneer's Realm. It's about tentage during the buccaneer era.

Here it is:

Page 41, 2nd paragraph, mosquito netting. According the anonymous author of a pamphlet on making war against

the French and Spanish in the New World, boucaniers and others who traveled through the “woods or such like

places” had “his pavilion to sleep under, and defend him from gnats....This pavilion is made of thin canvas, in such a

form that, being spread and supported upon some sticks planted in the ground, a man lies under it, the canvas falling

like the curtains of a bed, and so leaves no room for gnats to get in. The man has his fusee [flintlock musket]

between his legs, and lies upon some grass or leaves, and in a march carries his pavilion like a shoulder-belt....This

is the buccaneers fashion, and by these means their incampments are soon made and soon raised.” (See Anon.

“Proposals for Carrying on an Effectual War in America, Against the French and Spaniards.”

His work on Pyrate Hunters is on hold until a dispute with the publisher is resolved. Sorry, Sterling! :lol:

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Nice!! I envision something akin to the civil war soldiers' blanket rolls. Good find Hurricane!

Got the trailer, still interest in this proposal?

Bo

Aye, though I'm too removed to be one of the transporting members. Please take pictures of the whole ride from start to end with pictures of the meeting parties in between.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Ahoy all!

Benerson Little wrote me today with an interesting addendum to his book on buccaneers, the Buccaneer's Realm. It's about tentage during the buccaneer era.

Here it is:

Page 41, 2nd paragraph, mosquito netting. According the anonymous author of a pamphlet on making war against

the French and Spanish in the New World, boucaniers and others who traveled through the “woods or such like

places” had “his pavilion to sleep under, and defend him from gnats....This pavilion is made of thin canvas, in such a

form that, being spread and supported upon some sticks planted in the ground, a man lies under it, the canvas falling

like the curtains of a bed, and so leaves no room for gnats to get in. The man has his fusee [flintlock musket]

between his legs, and lies upon some grass or leaves, and in a march carries his pavilion like a shoulder-belt....This

is the buccaneers fashion, and by these means their incampments are soon made and soon raised.” (See Anon.

“Proposals for Carrying on an Effectual War in America, Against the French and Spaniards.”

His work on Pyrate Hunters is on hold until a dispute with the publisher is resolved. Sorry, Sterling! :D

-- Hurricane

Hurricane,

I was able to the find the source quoted. Its available for download. Page 517 last paragraph.

PROPOSALS FOR CARRYING ON AN EFFECTUAL WAR IN AMERICA,

AGAINST THE FRENCH AND SPANIARDS.

From a Quarto Edition, printed at London, in the Year MDCCI. 1701.

"Proposals for Carrying on an Effectual War in America, Against the French and Spaniards" in The Harleian Miscellany

Edited by CaptSkinner

Great find! I downloaded it and am reading it now. Thanks!

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I am putting my oldest to work cutting poles this weekend so we can peel them before the spring sap comes up. I am in no condition to cut, but am going to pick the best ones and point them out. Peeling is the icky part, that's where all the gooey stuff is. Getting anything longer than 12 feet begins to run into size/weight problems as the bases run an average of 4-5" for a good stout, straight 12 footer. Could you all give me an idea of how many and of what length so I can begin the planning stages for the trailer conversion as well please? It is an old boat trailer that is rated for a 16 ft. aluminum boat with an old Johnson 35 hp outboard. I cannot find the weight sticker on the trailer, but I think I should keep things around 750- 1000 lb limit. I plan on putting a standard 4x8 plywood deck on as well as "goal-post" racks for the poles. Thanx...

Bo

• 1 year later...

I have not posted of the pub because I am new to the pub but not to re-enacting. That I have been doing for nye on 30 years and I must warn you that If you intend to make your shelter yourself you shouls consider that all of the canvas you and the others have mentioned will leak in a hard rain. Having raised two girls in historic re-enacting I can tell you the fastest way to discourage their participation is to have them soaking wet. If you are going to use canvas treat it with a water proofer and a good one. Even then know that if you touch the canvas during a rain storm it will drip on you. Others may have other opinions but I have tried all of the things you can try and they just about all have drawbacks. Tentsmiths makes a trail tarp the is treated with the same stuff as the drovers coats and it won't leak in the worst stor even if you touch it. It also rolls up to the size of about 12" by 6" and weighs about 5 or 6 pounds. I have used the one that I have for going on 10 years and it still turns water and sleeps great. Also to have room for a little swab until teen I suggest the 10 X 10 . They are not cheap but cheap gets you uncomforable Hope this helps

If you intend to make your shelter yourself you shouls consider that all of the canvas you and the others have mentioned will leak in a hard rain.

I don't waterproof my canvas,it makes the canvas to heavy... (I do wash it in HOT water and Dry it on High so the fibers shrink as much as possible) .... It does leak (for a bad leak.. it you run your finger from the leak down the wall, the water will follow that)... Hey... my tarp/sail has grommeted holes through it for reef lines.... ;)

My Buccaneer shelter is only light weight cotton (yeah.. I should make it outta linen)and it is also only shrunk to make it kindof water resistant.....

What it does is stop most of the rain....My linseed oil treated ground cloth is what keeps me and my blankets dry...

(It's the dang coral at PiP, and the too narrow hammock at Searle's that cause alla th cursing.... ;) )

• 3 months later...

I just spent the evening reading this whole thread. I'm bumping it because there are some great info here for those who migh be coming down for the first time.

Animal

Buccaneer - Services to the highest bidder!!!