Getting tentage ready for PIP

callenish gunner

i have a new vendors type tent with a large fly and a side stoage tent(s) i have finished cutting and pinning the poles ....did some simple stain and wax on the poles but now i'm doing the fun :D bit the doing all the eye splices for the guy linesi have 20 lines to do

bought a 500 ft spool of hemp line will have to candle it and do an eye splice on each section and then once the sliders are put in place do an end splice with a captured bead

dluxsmall.jpg

when the entire project is finsihed i'll show the pics and post the process as well

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So can we talk tentage yet? I'm not so patiently waiting here.

I'm looking at a basic tarp to tent set up. I like the flexibility of layout/design with a single sheet of fabric. I'm anticipating that the open diamond design will be used most often.

My question for the expert/been there done that folks, what size finished tarp would be suggested for a basic 1 1/2 to two man shelter? I'm hoping to use said shelter at other events besides PIP & do need to account for having my little swab with me at least some of the time.

Also, yardage suggestions for rope would be appreciated. I want to start planning this now so I can price out & save up for the proper materials.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

For one person, ultralite, weight crazed, modern backpackers consider 5'x8' about as small a tarp as possible, and too small for beginners. Another way to look at it is a tarp should be at least 18" larger all the way around than your ground cloth. So assuming "little swab" is not baby huey or even if he(?) is, a 10x10 diamond shelter should be good. You might even go a little smaller, but be careful here as some sutlers use the size of the cloth they start with, and not the finished tarp size. I myself, ie baby huey's bigger brother, am thinking of a 5x9 or so, if only to see if I can get away with somthing that small. If I do go that small, I will have some 4 mil poly hidden away and if things get really bad, I'm able to afford a last minute room.

As to cordage needed, a standard 50' length should be way more than enough. If you need a better estimate, set up in the back yard with something really cheap like chute cord, or even old clothes line, and measure what you use. When you do start cutting your laid rope, remember to whip the ends.

do need to account for having my little swab with me at least some of the time.

How old is yer little swab..... less than 8 years old.... then your going to be sleeping together... if he/she/it be over 8 years old.... then make then thier own tarp.....

they can't be longer than 8 feet... so an 8x8 (dang.. even 6x6) tarp will work (and for a long time.........) heck... 8x8 is big enough for an adult..... not too large.... and not too small..... 6 1/3 yards of cloth... (pre-shrunk of course)..... some ties , and let them play with it all Summer.... figure out how to set-up thier own tarp..... (oops... I'm still thinking about a "swab" over 8 years old.......)

6X6 is slightly smallish but do-able..... 10X10 is a bit to largish (well if your going to be carrying it)....

So we have room to debate size here.......

(and I know there are going to be a bunch funny post about "size"....)

Hack... hack... cough....cough.... $165.00 ...... sputter sputter......

You can hand sew one outta linen or Hamp camvas for a heck of a lot cheaper than that...........

If you don't wanna hand sew.... you can still make one for a lot less than that..........

And if you don't care if it's linen or hemp canvas...... you can make it even cheaper.......

$165.00 for a 15 x 15 foot chunka (cotton..... ok treated ) canvas........

NO WAY.........

for many years i traveled in the canadian & alaskan back woods and lakes with a 12'X12' canvas tarp it weighed about 12-15 lbs. but i also was able to set it up various ways depending on the weather terrain etc. ....setting it up in the diamond shape you'd expressed is fairly easy and it only uses minimal rope lengths ...with the further most down corner to the prevailing winds it's very aerodynamic and it will shelter you and 1 or two others and your gear even in tropical downpours i usually would use a small make-shift pole in the middle just to keep the center from drooping too low.with another configuration you can also set it up as a long A frame style to shelter more folks/gear ....that size would also have been about the size of some smaller sails ....the smaller size canvas is almost survivalist measurements B)

also folded and rolled/ tied up properly it can also be a very versitile way of packing your entire kit to about the size of a medium sized duffle bag

a 12'x15' canvas painter's drop cloth can be obtained from lowes or other home supply centers for under $35 (if you trim it to square you can use the excess for reinforcements in the corners) doing some hand work like puting rope in an outer hem and handmade grommets in the corners and on at least two edges will give it a great period appearance. then make sure you pre-wash it and then add some sort of waterproofing either commercial or there are homemade recipes for a good mixture ...even coated these tarps shouldn't weigh more than 10 pounds ...and perhaps one more thing you might want to learn would be splicing your ropes ...eye splices and end splices

thanks for the perspectives gentlemen.

The little swab is currently under 8, however, knowing her, she'll be crowding into my tent until she's a teen. That's why I asked to see a size range.

The purchased tent is good perspective too, but I agree with Mr. Hand. I'll be making it myself to save & for the fun of doing it. Plus we have an (ahem) source for hemp canvas and hemp rope & I intend to use it.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Sorry if I sounded snooty in my last post.... but I still think that by making one yourself, you can save a lot of money....

I can get medium weight canvas for $5.00 a yard..... so an 8x8 tarp would only cost $30.00 (extra canvas to allow for shrinkage...)

a 15' x 15' tarp would cost about $75.00.... but I think that's a bit too large for a tarp.........

I started to write-up a How-to make your own tarp... I figure by the end of this weekend, I can type it up, and scan and post the drawings....

we have an (ahem) source for hemp canvas and hemp rope & I intend to use it.

COOL

If your going to that much trouble might I suggest "The Rigging of Ships in the Days of the Spritsail Topmast, 1600 - 1720" by R.C. Anderson ISBN 0-486-27960-X Dover $12.95. It has a chapter about how sails were made in our period. Just got mine from Borders and haven't finished reading it yet, but it looks helpful.

figured i post a shot of a friend who uses his 12x12 tarp for french and indian war encampments ...his is dark canvas but other than that it would fit into our encampment perfectly

periodfly.jpg

he was sleeping 2 under it for a five day encampment and 2 of those days we had heavy rains

Now when it comes to tentage in new areas, the 1st thing I have to ask is what was the weather like last year and how bad was the bugs and vermin???

If you've ever had critters nipping at your toes and / or seen one of you're buddies carried away by mosquitoes... You'd understand!!!!

;)

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

Oi Mistress Diamond, any chance of a period correct bug spray from our darling herbalist?

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Sorry if I sounded snooty in my last post.... but I still think that by making one yourself, you can save a lot of money....

No, Patrick, it didn't sound snooty. I always mention Redhawk because I'm a satisfied customer and I know their product lasts forever. However, I do think that many should make their own if they have the knack and the time. It would be cheaper, but it must be done right.

See all testimonials from Silkie in 2006.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Last year only bugs were ants, a problem that will be addressed this year. Temps in the 80's during the day, high 60's at night. Some rain, moderately heavy for about 30 minutes. Humid as Hell's humidor.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Sounds perfectly charming... :blink:

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

the one thing that we found camping in that area before was the fact that were lots of sizeable pices od coral laying upon the ground ....so i will be bringing a rake with me to at least clear out under the tent and try to keep our walkways cleared to keep the attendees from twisting an ankle....i'm sure that piliing the excess coral around the roots of the trees while we're there would make the camp more appealing to the crowds :blink:;);)

Last year only bugs were ants, a problem that will be addressed this year. Temps in the 80's during the day, high 60's at night. Some rain, moderately heavy for about 30 minutes. Humid as Hell's humidor.

In 2005 we only saw dragonflies. I never witnessed any other insect that year. The days were warm and the nights were cool and we experienced almost no real humidity. And we had no real rain but for a solitary whisp of moisture on one night.

It's amazing how much it can change from year to year.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

Excellent!

This is exactly why I posted my questions!

I was trying to decide if wanted to bring my bugbar with me for at night.

Are we talking, wake up soaking humid?? Sounds like Ft. Benning!

Good move with the rakes CG! Plus if we can somewhat clear the area we're fighting in, we won't have any ER trips!

Rats

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!

How to make a tarp.

A few things to consider...

If you are going to set-up the tarp as a wedge or diamond, (Like Capt. Jim did) you will want your tarp square. If you will set it up as a lean-to, you can make it rectangular.

8'X8' is a good size, it is not too large nor is it too small. These directions are for an 8x8 tarp, but you can modify the demotions to suit your own use...

On Canvas...

Heavy canvas makes a tarp that is ...... well heaver. You don't have to use heavy canvas for a tarp; Medium weight canvas will work just as well. I have a Wheeland style lean-to that is made out of sheeting, and it is light enough to carry, and still works.

The medium weight canvas that I use, is 60" wide, for an 8x8 tarp, I'd get 6 yards (this allows for shrinkage.) I get the canvas for $5.00 a yard, so for an 8x8 tarp, it would only cost me $30.00 to make.

A very important step before you start sewing... Wash the canvas in HOT water, and dry it on the hottest setting...you want to shrink the canvas, or it will leak...

Measure the width of the canvas, and at 50" (4 feet, plus 2" for seam allowance) snip and then if possible tear the canvas, so you have a long 50" wide strip. (The reason to tear the canvas, is so it comes out perfectly straight, cutting with scissors, you may make the edge slightly off)

Now measure, snip and tear, so you have two 98" panels (8 feet, plus 2" for seam allowance)

Sew the panels together, using a flat felled seam (see a-1, a-2 and a-3 below)

Turn and hem the outside edges (b-1 below)

And you have a tarp.

You may want to add Ties, or grommets.... In the next post, I'll explain how to set-up a tarp, and some ways of tying ropes to the tarp...

tarp.jpg

Note of caution:

No matter how much you try to shrink it Acrylic canvas will still leak. Acrylic canvas stands up better to the environment and is thus commonly used for umbrellas (oops make that sunbrellas), awnings, chairs etc. but it won't work for tents! Be sure to use cotton canvas. Oh and cotton thread as well.