Disney will have 2 new cruise ships

Lady Alyx

Yesterday I heard on the radio news that Disney will have two new cruise ships in their line up soon (2011 and 2012). Too bad one or another in the future could be devoted to a Pirate Ship cruise...wow! Have one for the east coast and one for the west coast.

~~~~Sailing Westward Bound~~~~

Lady Alyx

bateau-sailor-jerry-tatouage.jpg

After spending money on airline tickets for a family of 4 to do the Disney Cruise last year, I would appreciate not having to fly across the nation. And I've been wanting to do an Alaskan cruise forever! :huh:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.

Rumba, thanks for the update, I thought I heard one on each, but I was listening to this bit o news from another room. I wish there was a stationed Pirate Ship off of Long Beach Terminal that was a restaurant and bar at the same time. Perhaps in San Pedro at Port's O Call. I haven't been there in a long time. If any one in San Pedro reads this post...please update me as to what has happened to Port's O Call village.

Lady Alyx

Ports of Call, the last time I visited this past summer, looked like the bottom of a bilge pump. I raided the village in search of a sea going vessel so I could sneak up on the Pearl docked down the way and out of sight. Alas, the place was a ghost town with little or no redeeming value. I don't even want to begin describing the food we ate there.

Off-topic: I ended up commandeering a ship out of the Dill Pickle Yacht club and getting my peak of the Pearl up close. The crew of the Pearl were a bit surprised to see us, but waved gallantly anways.

Ports of Call and the surrounding area are a lost opportunity for the City of Los Angeles. It's too bad they don't revitalize it like Rainbow Harbor in Long Beach.

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

Oh wow Pearl, that is what I feared. Last time I was down there it was going down down down as well. That is too bad it is a cute little place with all it's shops. They really really should re-vitalize that, since it is so close to Princess cruise lines and would be a great extra tourist trap. Wow, that is a shame indeed! You are absolutely right that it could be a great spot for L.A. to revamp! Wonder if Donald Trump would be interested in buying it and making it a Pirate port? I wonder if I could even send him that idea.... :huh::huh::huh: I mean after all he is revamping that golf course on the other side of Pedro.

Lady Alyx

This may interest you...

The Rose is currently in San Diego and still set up as the "Surprise" from the Master and Commander movie. According to the docents at the Maritime Museum, when Fox's lease is up on that ship, they are turning it into a pirate boat and doing cruises around the area.

RHJMap.jpg

Not as of yet. This is just something that we heard from the docents about the boat. However, there's a piratical exhibit on the Rose/Surprise right now. Check this out:

Pirates Take over the H.M.S. Surprise

SAN DIEGO—The Maritime Museum of San Diego has been transformed into a pirate’s hideaway with the museum’s newest exhibit Pirates of the Pacific on board the HMS Surprise. Some of the most notorious pirates in history prowled the world’s largest ocean. Pirates of the Pacific will highlight the exploits of William Dampier, a sophisticated buccaneer who mixed an interest in natural science and geography with a lust for adventure. The exhibit will also focus on Chinese pirates that threatened merchant ships in the South China Sea for nearly 100 years before a squadron of Royal Navy warships destroyed the pirate fleet. Pirates of the Pacific will satisfy people’s timeless fascination and insatiable curiosity about these outlaws of the ocean with a marvelous collection of artifacts, pictures and hands-on exhibits.

Pirates of the Pacific opens at the Maritime Museum of San Diego on Saturday, May 27, 2006 and continues through October, 2007. (Except for 2/12/07 - 3/1/07, when she'll be in the shipyard.)

And four hours south might make for a nice weekend trip...

RHJMap.jpg

Ports of Call, the last time I visited this past summer, looked like the bottom of a bilge pump. I raided the village in search of a sea going vessel so I could sneak up on the Pearl docked down the way and out of sight. Alas, the place was a ghost town with little or no redeeming value. I don't even want to begin describing the food we ate there.

Off-topic: I ended up commandeering a ship out of the Dill Pickle Yacht club and getting my peak of the Pearl up close. The crew of the Pearl were a bit surprised to see us, but waved gallantly anways.

Ports of Call and the surrounding area are a lost opportunity for the City of Los Angeles. It's too bad they don't revitalize it like Rainbow Harbor in Long Beach.

Be this the Port's o'call village betwixt Long Beach an Seal Beach, or the old Pier Point site near the bottom of the VT toll bridge? Pier point was a'roarin' fyne an dandy when last I run aground there bout 2 year ago.

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

As I understand it, both will be on the west coast. One will travel to Mexico area, the other to Alaska.

Alaska is only a part of the year destination? Would it then do Mexico during the Alaska down time, or would they bring her east for the winter?

I will have a look see throught the travel trades and see if I see anything.

:lol:

There are two threads on this subject. One I started before this one in Ports of Call. There, I have a link directly to the Press Release on the ships. As a Castaway Club member, I received this link directly from Disney.

Here is a link to that discussion. Pyracy Pub Ports of Call Link on Disney's Two New Ships

IMO, One of these ships will be assigned to the West Coast specifically for a Mexican Riveria itenary and perhaps both, one doing an Alaska/Canadian itenary.

The Magic (Disney's 1st Ship) is making it's second repositioning to the West Coast in May 2008. As stated in the Press Release, this itenary (which went on sale Jan. 31) sold out in hours. The Magic will then return to the East Coast in Aug. 2008. This comes just after the Magic returning from a successful run in the Mediterrean and the Wonder just coming out of an extensive drydock. Something I think the Magic is in desperate need of as well.

Yes, I know, it appears I'm addicted and yes, I am. So much so, I have my spot on the repositioning cruise. New Car or Cruise through the Panama Canal? Which one would a pirate take?

~Black Hearted Pearl

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.

I toured the Rose when she was set up with the "Master and Commander" props/sets. It was a lot of fun. The Lady Washington was visiting the museum at the time and I HAD to go see her. :o

A group of us are going to "board" the Rose during the San Diego Comic-Con International convention in July. I'm working on a scruffy Norrington outfit for one of the guys. I have the cement mixer in the backyard ready to "distress" the coat. :lol:

hook_banner2.jpg

Captain, we always knew you were a whoopsie.

Rumors of my death are entirely premature.