Ripley's Key West

Matusalem

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, my dearest apologies for needling you all for a topic that didn't get much response. I happened to attend the PIP festival for one day last November (I have family in FL. so I couldn't resist).

For anyone who knows Key West knows of the Pirate museum. Next door to that is Ripley's Believe-it-or-Not. When one walks by this place, one cannot miss, in the front window, the man in 18th century clothes and bucket boots, physically climbing up and down the rope. He also happens to have no head. The animatroinics were quite realistic.

I was not fortunate to enter Ripley's and ask the staff what the story behind this. I also cannot find much information on the internet such as a "headless pirate", particularly something that would relate to Ripley's., soooooo..........I would ask again.

I am beginning to take a passionate interest in this topic, merely because I am more of a special effects kind of person, and less an actor. I am designing and assembling a costume, using period era clothing (so much for the magician's rule of giving away secrets), and therfore I am trying to build a 'street act' of sorts. If anyone knows of such a tale, with any kind of information, big or small, I would be more than grateful. you can email me at @ffairlane57@yahoo.com if you like.

SHIP2-1.jpg

A very curious thing indeed! There's probably not a particular significance to it: it's probably just used to draw attention. :unsure:

Did you check to see if Ripley's Museum has an Internet site? :lol:

Capt. William

"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"

Sorry to dissapoint but when Ripley's opened there originally oh so many years ago, the pirate had a head. Obviously, it fell into disrepair because it hasn't been fixed for five or so years now. Just a once wonderful animatronic without proper maintenance.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• 1 month later...

Thanks, Hurricane, that's a good start. I had a dream the other night about this silly thing....can't remember anything about it now. I was under the impression there was some story about a headless pirate, you know....me living on the opposite side of the Tappan Zee bridge from Sleepy Hollow, NY, such a story would seem logical.

SHIP2-1.jpg