Shipwrecks

wreckvalle

• 1 year later...

Here's a period account of the wreck of most of a fleet that's great fun from Dampier's New Voyage Around the World, first published in 1697,

"The Count d'Estree lost his Fleet here [on the "Riff or Bank of Rocks...[which] runs along the East-end to the Northward about 3 Mile, then trends away to the Westward making, as it were a Half-Moon [on the Isle of Aves]]... Coming from the Eastward, he fell in on the Back of the Riff, and fired Guns to give warning to the rest of his Fleet: But they supposing their Admiral was engaged with Enemies, hoisted up their Topsails, and crouded all the Sails they could make, and ran full sail ashore after him; all within half a Mile of Each other. [ :huh: ] For his Light being in the Main-Top was an unhappy Beacon for them to follow; and there escaped but one King's Ship and one Privateer. The Ships continued whole all Day, and the Man had time enough, most of them, to get ashore, yet many perished in the Wreck; and many of those that got safe on the Island, for want of being accustomed to such Hardships, died like rotten Sheep. [Like rotten Sheep. Dampier's a wit!] But the Privateers who had been used to such Accidents lived merrily, from whom I had this relation: and they told me, that if they had gone to Jamaica with 30l. in their Pockets, they could not have enjoyed themselves more: For they kept in a Gang by themselves, and watched when the Ships broke, to get the Good that came from them, and though much was staved against the Rocks, yet abundance of Wine and Brandy floated over the Riff, where the Privateers waited to take it up. [bloody pirates!] They lived here about three Weeks, waiting an opportunity to transport themselves back again to Hispaniola; in all which time they were never without two or three Hogsheads of Wine and Brandy in their Tents, and Barrels of Beef and Pork; which they could live on without Bread, well enough, tho' the new Comers out of France could not. There were about Forty Frenchmen on board in one of the Ships where there was good store of Liquor, till the after part of her broke away and floated over the Riff, and was carry'd away to the Sea, with all the Men drinking and singing who being in drink, did not mind the Danger, but were never heard of afterwards." (Dampier, p. 43-4)

Isn't that great?

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

• 1 month later...

Edward Barlow's Journal just contains so many interesting accounts of things going on during period.

“[1680] And a little before we came [to Jamaica], there happened a great loss and accident: a good ship of near 400 tons, having delivered all her goods ashore, and had taken about thirty hogs of sugar and some log-wood, being hauled off the quay and ‘rid’ at her moorings, she, being a little top-heavy, would not bear herself very well; and all the men running over on one side to do some work, she was fallen over and overset and sunk down to Rights, and about ten or a dozen men ‘drownded’, and all the sugar lost. She was sunk in nine fathoms water, yet there being several good divers, with great cost and trouble, she not being laden, she was weighed again and recovered, being new fitted and prepared again, having had no harm but only the cost and loss of the men’s lives and goods, which was one thousand pounds damage to the owners of the ship and merchants.

And had it been in many places, the ship and all had been lost, but the harbour being a fine smooth clear harbour, they, with much trouble, did save the ship.” (Barlow, p. 331-2)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg