Solid lead pencils?

Still curious if that be actual lead or graphite.

According to Jas Townsend & Son, mechanical pencils date back to 1680.

http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=382

Writing with a solid stick of lead(?) should be even earlier than that.

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

More....

"Graphite came into widespread use following the discovery of a large graphite deposit in Borrowdale, England in 1564. Graphite left a darker mark than lead, but was so soft and brittle that it required a holder. At first, sticks of graphite were wrapped in string. Later, the graphite was inserted into wooden sticks that had been hollowed-out by hand! The wood-cased pencil was born."

http://www.pencils.com/history.html

-CS

As we say in Ireland let's drink until the alcohol in our system destroys our liver and kills us.

guns_boobies2.jpg

Firstly, continued contact with a lead pencils led to lead :D poisoning. :D

Secondly: In the Middle Ages, the lead was usually alloyed with silver, hardening the pen. This meant that paper would have to be specially treated, or it would rip under the pressure necessary to abrade the pen.

Lead pens like the one shown were mostly used by carpenters to mark the wood.

Also, the graphite deposit from the Borrowdale mine was at first mistaken for lead ore, hence the name "Bleistift" (lead pen) in German. The Borrowdale graphite, which was the only one considered good enough for writing, was primarily used for military purposes such as cannonball founding, so Britain issued an export ban.

Pencils with a wooden exterior as we know them today were only used after the beginning of the 19th century. Up to then, the writing instrument of first choice was the quill.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Firstly, continued contact with a lead pencils led to lead  :D   poisoning.  :D

Question: Did they know this though? Considering the pewter dishes had lead in them and some of the women's make up contained lead as well (although not sure if this type of make up was still in use during the GAoP).... just wondering.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Another thing on Jas T. site....

http://www.jastown.com/blog/?page_id=27

a more simplified 'lead holder' for this... but it's dated a bit past GAoP....

And to answer a question about lead poisoning, No they didn't quite understand lead poisoning just yet, and lead in food was still about later on, and in makeup...

On a side note there, I believe arsnic was take by the ladies in small amounts to keep their complection pale (!) Ahhh, to be fashionable, the sacrifices one must make...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

Some sort of lead holder or possibly quill holder was found on La Belle. As for the lead lead pencil, I have one, but generally never have time to use it.

And lead poisoning... gotta remember folks, these people are working under a completely different set of rules... completely different.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

And lead poisoning... gotta remember folks, these people are working under a completely different set of rules... completely different.

People may not have realized back then that they were getting dumber by the minute, that their continuing nausea had the same reason as their ab(d)ominal pain or their vomiting.

However, the lead was just as poisonous and lethal back then as it is today. The only difference is that people did not realize what killed them in the end.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

• 2 months later...

I cast one up just fer experimentin' purposes. It be 3/8x7/16x 6" long. Works fine on modern papers leavin a light line like a 4F draftin' pencil wi' a dull point. The weight (3/4 lb) be unwieldly an makes writin' slow. You'd not want ta be carrin' this in yer pocket. Just too heavy an the sharp end would weevil its way through course fabric very quickly. Oh well, another conversation piece fer the junk box.

cap_029.jpg

cap_030.jpg

(Ponders how soft aluminum, zinc or magnesium would work) -_-

PIRATES!  Because ye can't do epic shyte wi' normal people.

• 2 weeks later...

I've made several of these in a pinch. A large caliber lead ball can be hammered into shape on a vice or anvil. They work just fine!

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

Well, I'm curious, tho..... whats the consensus of the lead holder Jas. Townsend's selling? I'm going to buy one just for my carpentry work around the shop, as it looks way cooler than the modern ones, and the leads refillable! But is it at all correct for GAOP impressions? I'm terribly un-versed in period writing implements........ :-( Course, probably if I learned how to write it might help...... ;-)

BDC

Can't help you on that.... I have to try looking it up myself.......

Silverpoint..... lead.... ink..... I know what they had in th 14 th century..... but ... hey... what WAS common in the GAoP....... heck... I'm not sure.....I can make some good guesses..... but I can"t be sure.....

Can't help you on that.... I have to try looking it up myself.......

Silverpoint..... lead.... ink..... I know what they had in th 14 th century..... but ... hey... what WAS common in the GAoP....... heck... I'm not sure.....I can make some good guesses..... but I can"t be sure.....

Well, looks like we have our work cut out for us,huh, Patrick? Lol.... I wonder if anything like this has been recovered from the Whydah or the QAR ? I'll try to do some digging around on the web this weekend and see what I come up with. Maybe trip down the street to see if the Mariners Museum has anything on display. ;-)

BDC