All those prettty maps and brass thingies...

Kaylee

Enigma -

Are those arcs steam bent or sawn? My eyesight what it is, I can't make out the grain well enough in the picture to be able to tell. Also, a detail I would like to see is the method of attachment for the vanes. Do they run in a groove? Are they held in place by a bit of spring steel (like latitude hooks etc. reccomends if I remember correctly) or something else entirely?

Ropework_Header.jpg

Capt. Sterling: Any particular detail of the backstaff you want to have a looksie at? The sights? The scales? The joints? The maker's plate?

GOF & Ed: I have considered selling them, but the exotic woods are very hard to come by. Originally, I wanted the frame to be ebony, but that was simply unobtainable. I have to admit that althogh I was a bit annoyed at first, I now think that is was a good thing in the end: The contrast between the ebony and the cherrywood arcs would probably have been too big.

The Scales, and sights, and the maker's plate if you please, sir.

And if you aren't game to make the backstaff for sale, would you think about the astrolabs? They are a piece of art as well!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Dang, Foxe beat me to it!

I must confess that I am something of a Davisophile...

GOF & Ed: I have considered selling them, but the exotic woods are very hard to come by.

If that's the only obstacle I'd take one in ash or oak... :)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

And if we supply the wood?

Greg

GOF, great idea...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Surely you have a gift good Captain Enigma. Such fine craftsmanship is visable in the photos. I can only imagine what they must be like in ones own hands.

My thanks to the others for the reading suggestions. I would sincerly enjoy having a better understanding of the tools & techniques of navigation without the "bells & whistles" of modern technology.

"If part of the goods be plundered by a pirate the proprietor or shipmaster is not entitled to any contribution." An introduction to merchandize, Robert Hamilton, 1777

Slightly Obsessed, an 18th Century reenacting blog

Naw, not ignoring anybody, just kinda busy at the moment. I will post the requested pix in the next days.

As for the questions concerning the selling of my instruments: I might sell the bigger one of the astrolabes shown, but only for a hefty sum - after all, I spent 500 hours of work in the making, plus it is gilt and silvered. So you can figure that it's not gonna quite be a Woolworth price. :rolleyes:

GOF: I am currently at pos. 54° 09' 55.67" N, 10° 32' 55.87" E. Hope that helps. :ph34r:

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Ok, here are the pictures that I promised.

The big arc

It is not steam- bent, but - like the original instruments - sawed from a massive cherrywood board. The smallest divisions are 10 minutes, 6 of them to each degree. That represents an accuracy of 10 nautical miles or better, which was a huge improvement over instruments like the quadrant.

bigarc.jpg

The small arc

It too was sawed from a massive cherrywood board. The smallest division is one degree. This arc does not need bigger accuracy, because the fine tuning was done with the large arc.

smallarc.jpg

The general layout

This is what one sees when sighting with the backstaff. The shadow vane is placed at a convenient spot on the small arc and then the navigator sights through the hole in the sighting vane and moves it up or down the big arc until the shadow of either the upper or the lower edge of the shadow vane matches the line on the horizon vane, while the upper edge of the slot matches with the horizon. The angle between sighting and shadow vane equals the angle of the sun above the horizon.

sighting.jpg

The horizon vane

horizonsight.jpg

The shadow vane

shadowsight.jpg

The sighting vane

eyesight.jpg

The back of the sighting vane

Note that the brass strip acts as a spring and presses the vane against the wooden arc. Thus the vane can be moved, but will stay in its place.

eyesightback.jpg

The maker's plaque

Like most historic instrument makers did, I sign all my instruments. I predate the year of making by exactly 400 years (hence "1605") and sign them with a latinized version of my first name, Wolfgang. "INCESSVS LVPI" means "the wolf's walk", which is a literal translation of my name from the German.

mark.jpg

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

banner.jpg

"The floggings will continue until morale improves!"

Ooooh -- that's incredible work! How fascinating.. I might have to try one of those someday.

I don't suppose there's a good source for say historically correct versions of the rulers and dividers and all?

I did just find a copy of "Taking the Stars: Celestial Navigation from the Argononauts to the Astronauts" and it's just all kinds of fascinating..