Common Sailor Clothes

JohnnyTarr

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much for just a buttonhole?

Smartass...

The hole is actually free...It's the stitching around it that gives the elves problems.

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Kass,

I'd like to officially order one of your frock coats. Let me know what you need! Thanks! BB Oh, how about a waistcoat as pictured?

Capt. William Bones

Then he rapped on the door with a bit of stick like a handspike that he carried, and when my father appeared, called roughly for a glass of rum. This, when it was brought to him, he drank slowly, like a connoisseur, lingering on the taste, and still looking about him at the cliffs and up at our signboard.

"This is a handy cove," says he, at length; " and a pleasant sittyated grog-shop. Much company, mate?"

My father told him no, very little company, the more was the pity.

"Well, then," said he, "this is the berth for me."

Proprietor of Flags of Fortune.

• 5 years later...

Can't seem to find a better place to put this link, or if it's already been shared with the group. Here's an example of existing sailor's clothing from the period (dated _very_ broadly). In the Museum of London collection:

http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/Collections-Research/Collections-online/object.aspx?objectID=object-83032&rows=1&start=0

If someone can figure out how to actually post the pic rather than the link, I'd surely appreciate it!

Jendobyns -

Good link, thanks !

Talk about patches upon patches. :wacko:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Must've belonged to a fisherman, it's got herringbone... ;)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Must've belonged to a fisherman, it's got herringbone... ;)

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Is that all that surprising? There are pictures of 16th century seamen with pockets...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Ah, I didn't realise it was a reenactor myth...

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

There, now it's perfect.

sailors_garb_izod.jpg

I had also heard that garb from the GAoP didn't usually have pockets. These slops look sort of like something from an earlier period from what I've been told. (Not that I know that much about clothing, mind you.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I think it had been oft stated that pockets were uncommon (as in the minority), and often messages like that are perceived/taken to mean "don't do it at all" rather than the intended "avoid using it to prevent making the uncommon seem commonplace".

That happens a lot with re-enactor favs that have evidence of existing, but as an uncommon item.

Michael_banner.jpg

Mission, that's wonderful. Do you think you could add the detail pictures as well?

Wonderful? Look closer... :lol:

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

If you want to add the real pictures (as opposed to my doctored one - I am the surgeon after all), you can do it like so:

1. Click on the image you want to display in the Museum's "Other Images" selection beneath the image.

2. When the image appears above as a large picture, right click on it and select 'Copy Image Location' (This will save the URL of the image to your clipboard.)

3. Reply to this topic, select the photo icon (looks like a green/blue/orange Poloroid in the menu above your post).

4. Right click, select Paste, then click OK.

5. Viola!

53_101_1b_va.JPG

I'd do the rest of them, but that would take all day. ;)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Thanks! I'll try that in the morning when my eyes are cooperating.

If you want to add the real pictures (as opposed to my doctored one - I am the surgeon after all), you can do it like so:

1. Click on the image you want to display in the Museum's "Other Images" selection beneath the image.

2. When the image appears above as a large picture, right click on it and select 'Copy Image Location' (This will save the URL of the image to your clipboard.)

3. Reply to this topic, select the photo icon (looks like a green/blue/orange Poloroid in the menu above your post).

4. Right click, select Paste, then click OK.

5. Viola!

53_101_1b_va.JPG

I'd do the rest of them, but that would take all day. ;)