An earring for your perusal...

JoshuaRed

I think Mr. Foxe led the way in surrendering to the fact that people did wear earrings. I think the issue is whether it was the fashion of seamen, thereby commonplace, or simply someone's individual preferences, much as it is today. I would think the latter is the most likely. It was the larger attempt to justify it as a standard issue of seamen and therefore pirates, to accent their fetching eyepatch, parrot and pegleg.

As for the parrot, when someone asks me where it is, I simply respond, "We ate it," given that buccaneers considered it quite tasty.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say, what's with all this OT banter?

Yep, we're seriously off track for Twill. I think if we want to continue this discussion about earrings, perhaps it should be moved to a more appropriate place for it (in Twill) and let this thread die? I know I've seen pics of earrings here before.

Oi, PoD,

Shift all yer great earring images over to : My link

And we'll all go over and debate and enjoy them there!

(I have 6 earrings and hate having to take 'em out at events... you can see them in all the images at FTPI)

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

Propria Virtute Audax --- In Hoc Signo Vinces

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

Ni Feidir An Dubh A Chur Ina Bhan Air

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

http://www.colonialnavy.org

I think Mr. Foxe led the way in surrendering to the fact that people did wear earrings. I think the issue is whether it was the fashion of seamen, thereby commonplace, or simply someone's individual preferences, much as it is today. I would think the latter is the most likely. It was the larger attempt to justify it as a standard issue of seamen and therefore pirates, to accent their fetching eyepatch, parrot and pegleg.

That's precisely it! Yes, there are pictures of people with earrings (though I will note that several of those posted by PoD are from the late 16th to mid-17thC, when we know earrings were generally fashionable), but that doesn't make them widespread. Yes, there are pictures of Dutch sailors wearing them, but how many of us play Dutch pirates? I know of no evidence for Anglo-American sailors, 1690-1730, or indeed pirates of the same period, wearing earrings. End of. So no, we can't say that no pirate of the period sported an earring, but we can say for absolute and definite that they weren't common in any way, and we can definitely say that all the convoluted reasoning, such as prevention of seasickness, has absolutely no basis in historical fact. That such a respected journal as the National Geographic can blithely state not only that pirates wore earrings, but also why, is an illustration of just how far the rot has spread.

As for the parrot, when someone asks me where it is, I simply respond, "We ate it," given that buccaneers considered it quite tasty.

I've long cherished a plan, for when I'm doing 16th century events, to mock up some dodo feathers and leave them in a mess around the fire, over which I'll have a turkey spit-roasting...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Man, I have GOT to get over there and meet you - preferably at an event where you have some time to chat. You, dt and PoD are definitely on my list of UK folks to meet...

Mark, if you ever make it to the UK and don't look me up one way or another I shall take it as a personal insult.

For the record, I'm not claiming that my adulthood hasn't been misspent too, just that the earrings have been in since I was 17 or so.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

Oi, PoD,

Shift all yer great earring images over to : My link

And we'll all go over and debate and enjoy them there!

No Problem. How do i do that then? Cut and paste doesnt seem to work. Is there some secret knowledge to it or do i have to put all the picture links in manually again?

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

No Problem. How do i do that then? Cut and paste doesnt seem to work. Is there some secret knowledge to it or do i have to put all the picture links in manually again?

Allow me to assist with this... Give me a few moments, and I will remove all the posts pertaining to earings from this topic, and add them over to the other.

Michael_banner.jpg

Thankee Kindly, Moderator Bagley...

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

"If I whet my glittering sword, and mine hand take hold on judgment; I will render vengeance to mine enemies, and will reward them that hate me." Deuteronomy 32:41

Envy and its evil twin - It crept in bed with slander - Idiots they gave advice - But Sloth it gave no answer - Anger kills the human soul - With butter tales of Lust - While Pavlov's Dogs keep chewin' - On the legs they never trust... The Seven Deadly Sins

Pay no mind to this...

Edited by Dorian Lasseter

Truly,

D. Lasseter

Captain, The Lucy

LasseterSignatureNew.gif

• 1 year later...

That's precisely it! Yes, there are pictures of people with earrings (though I will note that several of those posted by PoD are from the late 16th to mid-17thC, when we know earrings were generally fashionable), but that doesn't make them widespread. Yes, there are pictures of Dutch sailors wearing them, but how many of us play Dutch pirates? I know of no evidence for Anglo-American sailors, 1690-1730, or indeed pirates of the same period, wearing earrings. End of. So no, we can't say that no pirate of the period sported an earring, but we can say for absolute and definite that they weren't common in any way, and we can definitely say that all the convoluted reasoning, such as prevention of seasickness, has absolutely no basis in historical fact. That such a respected journal as the National Geographic can blithely state not only that pirates wore earrings, but also why, is an illustration of just how far the rot has spread.

I've long cherished a plan, for when I'm doing 16th century events, to mock up some dodo feathers and leave them in a mess around the fire, over which I'll have a turkey spit-roasting...

Not talking reenacting but history there were Dutch pirates (Robert's and e.g whydah crew) and there were actually even few indians aboard but indeed earrings were not ĂŻn commonplace in GAoP. Other stuff like rings and fine buttons ot buckles were in more popular use but earrings were rare...

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

Of course there were Dutch pirates in the GAoP, but only a tiny tiny number. Charles Johnson was more or less convinced that there were none at all and ascribed it to the Dutch herring fishery soaking up the unemployed seamen.

The same theory might also hold true for other nations such as the Spanish - any Spaniard who wanted to plunder at sea was welcome to do so in the Guarda Costa, in peace as well as war.

Foxe

ETFox.co.uk

Of course there were Dutch pirates in the GAoP, but only a tiny tiny number. Charles Johnson was more or less convinced that there were none at all and ascribed it to the Dutch herring fishery soaking up the unemployed seamen.

The same theory might also hold true for other nations such as the Spanish - any Spaniard who wanted to plunder at sea was welcome to do so in the Guarda Costa, in peace as well as war.

Reason for that there were only few Dutch is that that United Provices (people often dont't rememder that "Holland" was actually republic in tis time) did not done same blunder with unemploiment privateers that English and French did. I have found Gaop pirate crew that had large number of spaniards but I dont know where..... I am not fully convinsed of that johnson's theory but indeed it is partly true. I think t´hat Bart Roberts had even Greeks but it is only recollection so I am not sure....

In any case there were some Dutch here and there in GAoP.....

"In late September 1720, Captain Nicholas de Concepcion and 140 pirates (Spaniards “and others of diverse Nations”) cruised the waters of Virginia and the Chesapeake Bay aboard a well-armed Spanish brigantine from Saint Augustine." This story is from bage and it seems to bee real...

http://www.cindyvall...ackpirates.html

Edited by Swashbuckler 1700

John Paul Jones

It seems that period writers were not always informed of things and even their writings (espicially Johnson's) should be treat with critisims...

I found this: there slave has earring but since picture also has mythical creatures it could be better..... (note that slaves could often become pirates) It is title bage of Pere labat's book from 1725 http://jcb.lunaimagi...&mi=100&trs=127

Note Dutch illustration. So it seems that earrings have someting to do with Dutch... Also on the backround there is interesting sailors with Dutch style caps and interesting hair. is that a pony tail?

John Paul Jones

• 2 weeks later...

I found this: there slave has earring but since picture also has mythical creatures it could be better..... (note that slaves could often become pirates) It is title bage of Pere labat's book from 1725 http://jcb.lunaimagi...&mi=100&trs=127

Note Dutch illustration. So it seems that earrings have someting to do with Dutch... Also on the backround there is interesting sailors with Dutch style caps and interesting hair. is that a pony tail?

here is another pic with slave with earring ( and dandana) circa 1700 front piece of one edition Buccaneers of America (and guess what it is Dutch)

http://jcb.lunaimagi...~2&mi=14&trs=32

sorry for posting this in different post I promise to get rid of that habit.

John Paul Jones

• 3 weeks later...

I would be happy if someone could delete those posts there (the ones which say Moderator delete this. content is moved to other post) Please ;)

thanks

I was wondering is this earring or not. It is likely that it is not but....

( those are Dutch mariners from 1695) I think it is possible that there is earring (that left fellow?) but it seems it is not but who know. Maker's style is bit shaky, so it may be an error.

31651cartouche.jpg

John Paul Jones

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry for multiple posting

Here is Dutch picture (frontpiece of BoA from 1700) there is a slave with an earring (he seems to be African rather that indian) I believe that dutch were the biggets earring users since many pictures of Dutch and Dutch sailors show them. So small pearl earrings in Ducth use are not an errors but looking pirates there was a few Dutch pirates but no really many.

http://jcb.lunaimaging.com/luna/servlet/detail/JCB~1~1~3744~5860004:-Title-page-?sort=Normalized_date%2CCreators%2CPublisher%2CTitle&qvq=q:pirates;sort:Normalized_date%2CCreators%2CPublisher%2CTitle;lc:JCB~1~1,JCBBOOKS~1~1,JCBMAPS~1~1,JCBMAPS~2~2&mi=26&trs=78

John Paul Jones

• 3 weeks later...

That post before can be deleted its stuff is now here!

Sorry for multiple posting

Here is Dutch picture (frontpiece of BoA from 1700) there is a slave with an earring (he seems to be African rather that indian) I believe that dutch were the biggets earring users since many pictures of Dutch and Dutch sailors show them. So small pearl earrings in Ducth use are not an errors but looking pirates there were only a few Dutch pirates but no really many.

http://jcb.lunaimagi...~2&mi=26&trs=78And

the new stuff now

Well we know that earrings don’t jump out of English seaman's wills but has anyone studied any Dutch sailor wills? There might be some earrings....

John Paul Jones

• 7 months later...