Put-In-Bay (Ohio) Pirate Festival June 19th to 21st

michaelsbagley

Hello all (again ;) )

It's that time of year again, when you are getting sick of all the posts and advertisements on events all the event organizers are trying to coerce you to go out to.... :D

I'll keep it simple, the festival is open to all, has a wide variety of fun pirate activities, and some great shows and entertainment.... And the part that is nearest and dearest to my heart, the historical section where the reenactors are.

The web site to the overall festival can be found at this link http://pyratefest.co/

Anyone wishing to participate as a more historical reenactor should contact me. While this event does draw some great historical portrayals, I have always tried to keep the level of authenticity as high as possible, but have maintained a welcoming standard, that anyone can become a part of the event. I have endeavored to continually try to help those who desire to improve their historical portrayals on an ongoing basis.

Last year the historical area skimmed 50 strong, ... and this year (our 6th, and the festival's 7th) is looking to grow again. Please message me here, or on Facebook if you're interested, and I will ensure you get all the required information you need to get involved. The Facebook group is private, and we do somewhat screen who joins as it is preferred to have a little bit of privacy to discuss the organization without wider public intrusion or review. Here is the link if you need it https://www.facebook.com/groups/222356031123213/

Posts from previous year may also help you get an idea of what this event holds...

https://pyracy.com/index.php/topic/19350-put-in-bay-pirate-ohio-festival-june-20th-22nd-re-enactor-area/

https://pyracy.com/index.php/topic/19141-put-in-bay-ohio-re-enactor-camp-2013-june-28-july-1/

Michael_banner.jpg

And this year, the event was subtitled "Bagley's Bounty" by the event organizers in Put-in-Bay in homage to all the help Michael and Jess have given them in bringing folks out to lend an authentic pirate presence, so you really, really want to be sure to come out and be a part of it. (I suggest we all buy event T-shirts and point at our chests every time we see Michael. Well that's what I plan to do.) (Poor Michael..)

Seriously, if I could only attend one event a year, this would be it. It's just tooooo much fun. (Check out last year's Surgeon's Journal for proof. ;) )

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

From those who have attended in previous years... can ye give some pointers for any new attendees? Not certain if I can attend this year, but shall attempt to make the trip next year.

When to catch the ferry? Cost? Do's & Don't's?

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

If you're planning on attending as a spectator/playtron etc...

Ferries run about every 30 minutes if you take the Miller Ferry (the cheaper option).

See http://www.millerferry.com

Downtown is about 3 miles from the Miller Ferry dock, shuttle service to downtown can be gotten for a handful of $ ($3 last time I used it 6 years ago).

Strong word of advice, park in the mainland (there is a free lot down the street from the ferry dock) and cross on the ferry as a pedestrian. Not only is it cheaper, parking and driving around the island is more stressful than a convenience.

There is the island expess, I've never taken it, my understanding, it is a faster crossing, and drops you off downtown so no worries on shuttles, but I think it runs less frequently, and is more expensive than the Miller Ferry.

Outside that, show up have a great time! The only warning I can give, is this is a resort party island. During the day it is very family friendly... But after supper, it turns into a wild rouccous island wide college style party. The local law enforcement is VERY strict on open container laws, so do your drinking in the one of the many bars within a 5 block radius of downtown. Or if you don't want to drink in a bar, and have rented a hotel or other accommodations, drink in the privacy of those locations.

Now, for a reenactor participant.... Get in touch with me. It is one of the more challenging events logisticly to participate in.... But it is well worth it and lots of fun!!!

Michael_banner.jpg

The other ferry is the Jet Express. Their schedule is a bit wonky with approximately two ferries an hour during this time, depending on which of their locations you leave from. The ride is nicer, faster and puts you right in the middle of town. According to their website, it's $33 for a round trip ticket. It's a nice way to travel across and you can walk out and right across the street into the park where the event is happening. But it's definitely more expensive than Miller.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG