2011 Fort Taylor questions

michaelsbagley

I'm still very on the fence about coming (and the decision isn't completely mine to make)... But if I am able to make it, I will be flying. While I can book a hotel, I would rather keep it on the cheap. If I pack a bed-roll and am able to attend as a more "campaigner style" re-enactor, is there a chance of sleeping in one of the sections of the Fort that is relatively sheltered from the elements? I seem to recall this happening in the section where the canons are a few years back... But with the rules changing from year to year, I really don't want to assume anything.

Failing that, anyone have some extra space in their tent?

Lastly, in order to travel light, bringing a weapon i unlikely (although I own many), is there someone attending that may be bringing extras?

Again all of the above are based on a very slight chance of me being able to pull this off.

Michael_banner.jpg

Michael,

As to sleeping in the Fort, there is a chance. It's not so much as rules changing but safety. There are a lot of condemned areas to work around. What I'm not sure of is how much has been repaired during this year and what areas are open. I will get an answer for you asap. I'm sure we can work out the tent issue if needed.

Edward and I will be bringing all our weapons and quite honestly, I doubt I'll do much shooting so you are welcome to use mine.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

I could probably fit a pistol or two in my all new surgeon's chest. It has some extra space which I hope some day to fill. (A stuffed monkey would certainly fit...)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Yeah I figured the renovations would be the biggest factor in sleeping in any part of the fort. Thanks for the heads up and the offer of the weapon Haunting Lily.

I could probably fit a pistol or two in my all new surgeon's chest. It has some extra space which I hope some day to fill. (A stuffed monkey would certainly fit...)

Mission, how is your chest being transported to Key West? They TSA restrictions on how a firearms is transported does match your locked instrument box... So that may be an option. And I will make sure the monkey attends... even if I can't/don't.

Michael_banner.jpg

I will be working the cannons with Crudbeard and the viceroy which will leave me with multiple weapons available to use and you are somebody I can trust to use one. You should be able to use the Spanish blunderbuss (Isabella) or the new espignol (large blunderbuss with swivel yoke) if you would like something larger. They do use a fair bit of powder (220 grains in the smaller Spanish Buss), I also have a few smaller pistols.

I may be able to help you out with tentage as well.

id.jpg

I'm still very on the fence about coming (and the decision isn't completely mine to make)... But if I am able to make it, I will be flying. While I can book a hotel, I would rather keep it on the cheap. If I pack a bed-roll and am able to attend as a more "campaigner style" re-enactor.

Failing that, anyone have some extra space in their tent?

If you don't mind being out of your "time period", you may encamp with the" Wreckers" of a later date.

(Not to mention more modern conveniences too.)

D.B. Couper

The box is going with a padlock. Other than that, you'd have to 'splain what needs to be done. As the Mercury ship's surgeon, I prefer to have no truck with guns as they just make more work for me. ;) (I do not want to have gunpowder in there, though.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Okay, I just booked my flight. I will get a registration form completed and start to confirm other arrangements over the next few weeks. I appreciate all the offers for places to crash and weapons to borrow (both on forum and via private message).

See you all there.

Michael_banner.jpg

Cool! I look forward to seeing Lob. I mean you. :D

If you want me to ship your gun(s), let me know.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Okay, I just booked my flight. I will get a registration form completed and start to confirm other arrangements over the next few weeks. I appreciate all the offers for places to crash and weapons to borrow (both on forum and via private message).

See you all there.

Look forward to seeing you there Mr. Bagley!

background.jpg

Aye... Plunder Awaits!

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I have one last question.

Cooking. I have small portable cookware I can pack to bring, but will there be a cookfire? I haven't been since things moved inside the fort, so I haven't paid attention to how this is being handled. As long as there is a fire, or someone with a brazier willing to share with me, I should be good. (And I imagine this should be the case). I will likely be dining on the town at least one night (if not two) and with the pig roast Sunday my main concern is breakfasts and lunches.... and most importantly morning coffee (I will be bringing some of the Widow Black's coffee and a small coffee pot with me).

Other than that I should ne pulling up to Fort Zach at around 3:00 to 4:00 PM Friday afternoon. If anyone needs a ride from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West (or anywhere in between) friday afternoon shoot me a message and I will help you out.

Michael_banner.jpg

Last year they cooked a couple meals in the fort for all the re-enactors. And if Iron John and Paula are coming, there will almost certainly be food in Mercury area. Although keep in mind that you have dinner plans on Friday night. ;)

Mission_banner5.JPG

Update on meals. Aside from the pig roast, meals are not being provided this year. The Savory Sow will be in the encampment and will be providing items for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They will be open from 6-11 for breakfast, 12-4 lunch and 5-8 dinner, bar/snack food 4-11. Prices range from $4.00-$7.00 breakfast ($1.00 for coffee & tea), $3.00-$6.00 lunch and $6.00-$8.00 dinner, Bar/Snack food $1.00-$3.00. Menu's will be provided in your welcome packets.

If you plan on providing your own meals, there will be cooking fires available. Firewood will be on hand for your use but if you plan on using charcoal, you will have to provide your own.

My internet use is pretty limited so if you have questions that need answers right away, please call my cell. It's glued to my hand. 585 329 4625.

The weather is gorgeous.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/