Replica Letters of Marque

PoD

This is a custom made Letter of Marque that can be issued by Queen Anne, King George the first or King George the Second.

pylos1.jpg

pylos2.jpg

pylos4.jpg

It is 18" x 25" like many of the original ones and has the strip of seals at the bottom like like original documents of the era too. It was researched as much as I could from actual letters or marque, royal charters and indentures to make it as authentic as possible. It is witnessed by the correct secretary of state for the perod and a representative of the Admiralty and features the seal and signature of the King or Queen. All the signatures are actual reproductions of surviving examples.

It can be customised with your name, the name of your ship and the type of ship.

It is printed on a heavyweight parchment vellum which feels and looks as close to an original 1715 vellum indenture that I could get (I know as i own one. Modern leather vellum seems very brittle compared to this 18th century one). It folds down into a more transportable 4.5" x 8.5" also based on surviving indentures of this period.

$55

http://www.etsy.com/listing/72020806/replica-letters-of-marque

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• 3 weeks later...

This is the Queen Anne version of the Letter of Marque

il_fullxfull.239891355.jpg

il_fullxfull.239876668.jpg

Queen Anne Letter of Marque issued by Joseph Dudley, Esq; Captain General and Governor General in Chief, in and over Her Majesties Provinces of the Massachusetts Bay, and New-Hampshire in New-England in America.

It is 18"x25" like many of the original ones and has the strip of seals at the bottom like like original documents of the era too created by folding the bottom of the document up then fixing it with paper loops that are held in place with the seals. It was researched as much as I could from actual letters or marque, royal charters and indentures to make it as authentic as possible. It is written by Issac Adlington who was secretary to Joseph Dudley, and is signed and sealed by both men and Queen Anne. All the signatures are actual reproductions of surviving examples.

The document can be customised with your name, the name of your ship and the type of ship.

$55

http://www.etsy.com/...tters-of-marque

bannerad.jpg

By any chance do you have one for Elizabeth I or Charles II?

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

By any chance do you have one for Elizabeth I or Charles II?

Hawkyns

I can certainly have a look at doing a Queen Elizabeth the first one. I have done one of the smaller ones for Queen Elizabeth before

bannerad.jpg

• 1 month later...

Beautiful work Mate! I have to add that your charts and maps are outstanding! We be seeing some charts and maps in our future

This is the Queen Anne version of the Letter of Marque

il_fullxfull.239891355.jpg

il_fullxfull.239876668.jpg

Queen Anne Letter of Marque issued by Joseph Dudley, Esq; Captain General and Governor General in Chief, in and over Her Majesties Provinces of the Massachusetts Bay, and New-Hampshire in New-England in America.

It is 18"x25" like many of the original ones and has the strip of seals at the bottom like like original documents of the era too created by folding the bottom of the document up then fixing it with paper loops that are held in place with the seals. It was researched as much as I could from actual letters or marque, royal charters and indentures to make it as authentic as possible. It is written by Issac Adlington who was secretary to Joseph Dudley, and is signed and sealed by both men and Queen Anne. All the signatures are actual reproductions of surviving examples.

The document can be customised with your name, the name of your ship and the type of ship.

$55

Will King

Kings Forge and Muzzleloading

• 2 months later...

il_fullxfull.267789887.jpg

This is a custom made King Charles the Second Letter of Marque we have just finished making for one of the bretheren.

It is 18"x25" like many of the original ones and has the strip of seals at the bottom like original documents of the era too. It was researched as much as I could from actual letters or marque, royal charters and indentures to make it as authentic as possible. The artwork has been reproduced by hand from an original 1669 Royal Charter and the text on this is taken from Henry Morgans 1669 commission. It is written by Thomas Modyford who was the Governor of Jamaica at the time, and witnessed by Prince James - the Duke of York who was Lord Admiral at this time too. All the signatures are actual reproductions of surviving examples where it has been possible to find them.

It is printed on a heavyweight parchment vellum which feels and looks as close to an original 17th century vellum indenture that I could get (I know as i own one. Modern leather vellum seems very brittle compared to this 18th century one). It folds down into a more transportable 4.5" x 8.5" also based on surviving indentures of this period.

Edited by PoD

bannerad.jpg