PIP Update!

Diosa De Cancion

Ahoy all!

I am here starting the annual family gathering we call PIP and have a little info to impart on everyone.

First, just so you know, family is already pouring in. Had a FAB dinner with Fayma, Tony, Lily, and Klaus last night and chatted with Jamaica Rose and Michael McLeod (Aka Michael and Christine Lampe) and Powder Keg Paul, saw Mad Dog (no, not M.A.d'Dogge, a different one who is down here every year), First Mate Matt & Sarah but somehow missed out on Liberte doing henna.... hmmm...

Today we started set up of the PIP site... now for those of you who are heading down it is important to understand there are TWO PARTS to this event. I had folks asking how this all works....now that I have taken a look - here's the answer...

There are both the Pirates in Paradise Thieves Market and the Fort Taylor Pirate Fest. both are happening at the same time, but in slightly different locations. As you come into the Truman Annex area, to the right, where the USS Mohawk is, is where the Pirates in Paradise Village Market is. That has vendors of all kinds, a few period and many non-period, and an entertainment area as well as a big bar and food vendors.

Now, the historical area will be further down the road (and slightly to the left, but not too far left or you are trying to go on the Navy property :)) in Fort Zachery Taylor State Park. That is where all the living history folks are going to be camping and there will be pirate entertainments spanning a time line of piracy from buccaneer to wreckers as well as roving musicians, the battles and the ongoing living history demonstrations.

Anyways, that's enough typing for now, there are more people heading in to town....we just heard from Animal and he's not far away. Drop Dead and Great Scott are moving this direction. Edward O'Keeffe, Silkie and Galen O'Keeffe are arriving in the morning. So many people to play with so little time!!!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

Attended the History of Grog presentation last night - it was terrific. Learned the fascinating history of grog then descended into the depths of the La Concha to sample one of our crewe's homemade grog. Two bottles went away in a flash, thanks to help from Cyren, ArtzyGirl, Reuben, Michael and Jamaica Rose, Caribbean Pearl, Powderkeg, Klaus and Deadly Aim. Didn't know so many people could fit in those rooms. Lots of hilarious photos to follow, including the Neapolitan Pirates - a classic.

Ran into Drop Dead and Great Scott on Duval (well, Wendy's actually). Good to see the kids. And the price of beer at Captain Tony's is down this year. Oh, and I saw that the t-shirt that we left back in 1992 is still on the ceiling - go to the end of the bar toward the bathrooms, look up and you'll see the Northwest Pirates of the Coast shirt, still looking good after almost 20 years.

Off at 11 to set up the stage for the End of Hurricane Season party and get a last minute rehearsal before our show there tonight. It's lovely here so far - 80 degrees today, no rain in sight.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

.........and im still in virginia! blasted all, time is too slow!

Well Hurry up!!!!

We can catch up with you at the end of hurricane season party......

>>>>> Cascabel

Aye, we shall, just know I may look like the enemy...so don't fire too quickly! I received my commission as a Lt. in the Conch Republic Navy and am going to try to piece together my whites today... do not shoot :) I am a friendly!!

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

I'd rather be a pirate than a member of the King's Navy any day. :D

The Neapolitan Pirates - or a Michael Sandwich.

gallery_32_354_900936.jpg

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

Morning all!

Time for another update, but I shall likely make it pretty short as I have to get this day underway and there's a lot to do!!

Yesterday was the End of Hurricane season party as well as the Conch Republic Military Ball. There were many more pirates in town including Beowoulf who was wearing that blasted damn wig he showed in his 'introductory' pics. I paid for part of a beer to get him to take it off...and he did :) I saw Edward and Silkie who helped to dress me in my Conch Republic Navy Uniform, thanks for the help guys!! Greg was there but passed out on the sofa after the long drive. Chatted a bit with Capn'rob (Dutch), finally saw Cascabel, Braze, Leather back, Dead Eye and Scarlet Jai and I know there are plenty of people I am forgetting to add here... it was a long night :)

Drop Dead and Great Scott were in charge of making those hurricane flags go up, and they did! There was quite the fireball at one point and it was fantastic! Well done to the two of them!

I was picked on profusely for being in all Navy whites, with my Conch Republic Commission...and I would like to point out that no one picked on Fayma who was also dressed that way... hmmmm I find that unfair....

And today, well I am off to breakfast with Klaus, Salty Sam and who knows who else is gonna show up and then we're taking on a school for a couple of hours to at the least mess up the kids learning process and perhaps teach them something along the way. Then I'm getting advanced fire spinning lessons at the PIP site and tonight it's the most Buxom Wench and Bad Ass Pirate contest.

And my favorite moment of the evening was not at the event... it was back at Lily and Edward Okeeffe's condo. they were squirell-sitting Amelia for the day and I let her out to play a little bit. She decided Edward looked like a tree...and lept for him to which he responded by squealing 'OH JESUS!!' in a high-pitched voice much like a little school girl. He claimed it was because he was not expecting her to do that and that he would be fine the next time....she jumped to him again and he squealed a second time, cowering from all 48.8 grams (or just under 2 ounces) of flying squirrel....

C'mon those of you who aren't here yet, get a move on!!!!

Edited by Diosa De Cancion

Diosa De Cancion

aka Mary Read

www.iammaryread.com

The vendors over at the Pirate Village are well worth the visit. Lots of great stuff that hasn't been at PiP before, including lots of leather belts, tankard holders, socks and provisions. The stage entertainment was terrific there - Mike Emerson's big band had everyone dancing. Great times... everyone a little slow to move this morning. Can't understand why. :P

Since I don't have to man a camp (love the Doubletree here, by the way - warm cookies when you check in), I can finally go to the Buxom Wench and Bad Ass Pirate contest. Looking forward to it. I have a feeling that it's going to be a real donnybrook this year with Rebecca making her way to the event. Can't wait to see the show.

Getting ready for the Walk the Plank Championships tomorrow. Should be a great event and I know several have quite a show planned for the competition. It will be great walking them off the plank this year, our sixth now.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Now y'all remember to find the web cams located in Key west and ham it up a bit...we'll be watching. Like tonight at Schooner Wharf.

A list and links can be found here.

And here.

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

My occupational hazard bein' my occupation's just not around...

Lob has also just left on his merry way to Key West, according to the transport service (USPS) he will arrive no later than 3:00 PM on Friday (although likely sooner). Mission will be his gaoler... I mean custodian for his journey. Sorry I couldn't come myself. Have fun all. :P

Michael_banner.jpg

Damn Schooner Wharf webcam isn't working! I can hear the Wench/Pyrate competition but I can't see it! And I tested it earlier today and it was working!

3ff66f1f.jpg

Ahoy Mates, A lead contingent of the East Coast Privateers is setting sail this morning. We shall arrive sometime around 3 and head straight to the fort. Our Captain, Blackwolfe, has a family emergency and may not make it down until Sunday: that is still iffy. The rest of our merry band are scheduled to arrive Friday.

Avery

No one has heard of me because I never left any witnesses.

Well I said it was goinna be "th' Flight from Hell".....

Dug th' car outta th' snow and hadda jump start it at 1:00 AM... then drove to the Airport..... left Sacramento at 6:00AM and flew into Denver.... 3 hour layover.... then to Charlotte..... 2 hour layover..... finaly got into Orlando at 9ish PM....

Staying over in Orland, because our next flight dosen't leave untill 11AM....(a 14 hour layover ? )

So we should be in (Nice and Warm) Key West around noon today.......

The National Walk the Plank Championships had to be moved today - the wind and cold made it unsafe to do. So, it's now on Saturday at noon instead. Ah, the wonders of wind and weather, a boat, a plank and unwilling victims, uh, contestants.

Only going to get up to 69 today. Egad!

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

The National Walk the Plank Championships had to be moved today - the wind and cold made it unsafe to do. So, it's now on Saturday at noon instead. Ah, the wonders of wind and weather, a boat, a plank and unwilling victims, uh, contestants.

Only going to get up to 69 today. Egad!

That's a heat wave! Got down to 28 here in Jax, high today of 59 or 60....everyone better bundle up....all but Hurricane, he has his fresh baked cookies to keep him warm...LOL

Edited by Sgt Johnson

"For God and the King"

Sgt. Jeff Johnson

As I eat a cookie as I type, I have to say the highlight of the event was the presentation by the Montessori Charter school of "The Young Wreckers". Written and produced by the teacher, it had everything you wanted -- pirates, wreckers, native residents.... you name it.

Most important, it showed that some kids get to experience an education where the arts are important. The kids were amazing as performers. And they left us all with a lesson, not only about the wreckers, but about ourselves and the arts as a whole.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Many, many thanks to all those pirates that called last night! Especially to William for organizing the call.

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Aye, 'twas great to get that call, and thanks to the Quartermaster for arranging it. Mind you I didn't hear the phone as I was in the midst of 350 Cub Scouts in a dining hall at the time. But these fine Pyrates were kind enough to leave a message (in a bottle, as it were.) It made me laugh. I downed a dram of rhum, smuggled into the camp, naturally, and toasted to all of your fine health.

Now who was it that yelled, "You Bugger!" at the end of the call? I've a pistol ball wi' yer name on it, mate!

Cheers, all!

Jim

Edited by Captain Jim

3ff66f1f.jpg

Got a call myself Saturday night (while I was at a hockey game).. the message was so full of background noise I had a great deal of trouble decyphering it... so I called the number back and was gladdenned to hear the QM Brand's voice as well as many others. Thanks to all of those who took the time out of their revelry to try and include those of us left behind!

Michael_banner.jpg

The Fort Zachery Taylor Pirate Invasion was a blast! Never made it to the Thieves Market, I was having too much fun at the fort. :unsure: Hope all went well there, I know it did at the fort. The park people were pleased and so were we! Thanks all for a grand time.

Good to hear. The Thieve's Market went well. We had good crowds all day long. The pub traffic was brisk and I got to sample my very first Pumpkin Ale, a precursor to next year's Brew Off. The Walk The Plank Championship had quite a few civilians this year, which was what it was originally intended for, so that was nice to see, but of course, Klaus prevailed as King Neptune. Lots of gun and cannon fire, the stage entertainment was great, and the 1st ever Tall Tales turned into quite the donnybrook. But the Young Whalers musical stole the show, as did Harry, our first "Best Little Pirate" Costume Contest winner.

Next year, the vendors will be double to triple what they were and we'll be adding even more competitions and events to the Waterfront Annex.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny