Some PiP Experienced Pirates, pls?

Beowoulf

Good Lord ... the more I look through this site, the more threads I find branching one off of another - all on important and/or interesting topics.

In the view of speed and necessity (the time of PiP grows CLOSE!), I need some advice, guidance, secret info, etc. etc.

I will be flying down from Montreal, probably getting there on Tuesday afternoon. I think i have place to lay my head once Fort Taylor begins, but that leaves Tuesday and Wednesday evening. I figure the Admiral Benbow Inn will be full wink.gif so can someone recommend something? (I'd like to be close to the action, of course .... close enough to "stumble" home Tuesday and Wednesday nights.)

Any help will be SO appreciated!

There shouldn't be much competition for rooms in town. There's nothing else going on except PiP and a lot of PiP campers don't come in until they can set up at the fort. So most places are vacant. The biggest trick is finding something close enough to where you want to be. For example, on Tuesday through Wednesday all the action is in town on Duval and out at the Schooner Bar at the seaport. So you would want to book a room near there rather than farther out.

If someone is in town they may be willing to pick you up instead of you taking a cab. There are lots of helpful people on the pub here who are going.

--

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

I should be getting there around 3 on Tuesday (airport) .... Just called the Doubletree hotel ... $149 per night and 3.5 miles from downtown ... kinda far

It's actually $109 with the special Conch Republic Navy code I gave you. They have a shuttle that runs into town constantly until midnight each night.

Key West is expensive in general. On Kayak, to get close to Old Town, you're in the neighborhood of $100 a night regardless. Good luck on your search and we look forward to meeting you.

-- Hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

I should be getting there around 3 on Tuesday (airport) .... Just called the Doubletree hotel ... $149 per night and 3.5 miles from downtown ... kinda far

It's actually $109 with the special Conch Republic Navy promotional code. They have a shuttle that runs into town constantly until midnight each night.

Key West is expensive in general. On Kayak, to get close to Old Town, you're in the neighborhood of $100 a night regardless. Good luck on your search and we look forward to meeting you.

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Yeah, but the Doubletree is not even close to downtown - it's in New Town. (If you want easy access, my advice would be to avoid anything that doesn't say it's in Old Town. I don't remember where the trolley drops you exactly but I'm almost sure it's in Old Town...which is 2-3 miles from New Town. That's a long walk.)

The closest and cheapest place I found last year was the Pegasus. It's a simple, old-fashioned hotel, if nothing to write home about. It's about 3/4 of a mile from the site; unfortunately, you can't get much closer than a 1/2 mile, and that's only if you stay in the Truman Annex where you must stay a full week in a condo. Still, it's walkable and the Pegasus is fine place to lay your head and wash up. Once you get into the event, you probably won't use your hotel for much more than that anyhow.

If you really despise walking, find out where the trolley drops you and find a hotel near that. Just remember that the trolley probably stops service at some time and if you are at the fort past that time (which is entirely possible and even likely), you have to walk back to your hotel.

Other places within walking distance off the top of my head (but further out and probably more expensive than the Pegasus) include the Holiday Inn La Concha (expensive), Best Western Hibiscus (reasonable for Key West) and the Southernmost Hotel (reasonable for KW). For more choices, see this thread.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

No, no it's not. But with the discount I get a much nicer hotel for the same price and have a shuttle. And it is the event's (PiP) headquarters and major sponsor.

Again, there are all sort so choices. But this one isn't any cheaper, just closer. Always tradeoffs. I always err on the side of comfort these days.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

No, no it's not. But with the discount I get a much nicer hotel for the same price and have a shuttle. And it is the event's (PiP) headquarters and major sponsor.

Again, there are all sort so choices. But this one isn't any cheaper, just closer. Always tradeoffs. I always err on the side of comfort these days.

What's not? The Doubletree? The one I found is near the airport, which is on the other side of the island. Is there a DT shuttle to/from downtown? What are its hours?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

The Doubletree is on the other side of the island, that was my orignal reference. It has a shuttle all day until midnight to and from Old Town and the Seaport.

While I certainly don't speak for anyone else here, our own crewe tries to support the major Pirates in Paradise sponsors whenever possible and they knocked off almost 50% of their nightly rate for participants as the official headquarters. So we default to supporting our fellow sponsors.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Ah. They're sponsoring the part of the event taking place in town, then?

Based on my experience with DoubleTree hotels, it would certainly be a more comfortable hotel than the Pegasus, although, again, I never spend much time in a hotel except to sleep, wash and get on the internet. Even the internet usually takes a back seat during PiP. (Although this year I'm going to try and keep a shortened version of the Surgeon's Journal Web page with photos while the event is going on, so my plan is to put in some more intensive hours during the morning...but I digress.)

I guess it all depends on what you want, Beowulf. The downtown part of the event is about 3/4 of a mile from the fort and that is the shuttle I was talking about. (Someone did say there will be a shuttle between the fort and the downtown part of the event, right?) You are going to pay $100+ a night unless you stay in a youth hostel or find a really amazing deal. It's Key West.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Actually, Mission, Pirates in Paradise is the entire 10-day festival, which includes the Fort Fest and the Pirates Village and Thieve's Market at Truman Annex on the final weekend. It also includes events during the week in town, including the lectures, historic and ghost walks, artist and author's series, dinners, sails aboard the WOLF, antique weapons expo, lectures, tryal of Anne and Mary, and the National Walk the Plank Championships.

As a newcomer Beowoulf you will find many things going on from Wednesday until the Fort Fest opens on Friday. In fact, you should be there in plenty of time for the Most Buxom Wench and Bad Ass Pirate Contest at the Schooner Bar, which is at the Historic Seaport, Wednesday night and on Thursday at 3:30 (time change) it's the walk the plank championships aboard the Schooner WOLF.

All the non period vending and food have been moved over to the annex to accommodate the space needs of the re-enactors in the fort. The entertainment stage is also over there now, along with a pub that is open all day. Lectures, the tryal and other events in the fort in previous years have been moved to the annex as well.

I have not heard of any shuttle running back and forth between the fort and town this year. That would be cool! Perhaps Fayma or Lily knows more about this than I as it is not part of the Pirates in Paradise Festival but may be offered by the Fort Fest planners.

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Hurricane,

I feel that I must interject here, The Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion is most certainly a part of Pirates in Paradise. It is a separate event, and as such has something different to offer folks. We are doing the period correct, living history aspect of piracy from the Buccaneers to the Wreckers. Please do not say that we are not a part of PiP. That offended me.

That being said, there is going to be a shuttle from downtown to the Truman waterfront then over to the Fort. It will repeat the cycle throughout the day and will stop running around 10 pm or so. I have not confirmed the exact timelines, as I am waiting to see if there is a sponsor location for the downtown aspect, since Pirate's Soul has moved out of town.

If there is a need for an airport pickup, I have folks ready, willing and able for most times to pick up or drop off, for the duration of PiP, not just during the Fort Taylor Pyrate invasion. Pirates don't let pirates take expensive cabs in Key West when it can be helped. Please feel free to contact me for arrangements.

The Friends of Fort Taylor and the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion fully support the use of our hotel sponsor. It is a great hotel, and they are giving a good deal. Hurricane, would you please pm me with full information, so that I can get that to some of our "hotel" folks that may need it? It would be greatly appreciated.

Hurricane,

I feel that I must interject here, The Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion is most certainly a part of Pirates in Paradise. It is a separate event, and as such has something different to offer folks. We are doing the period correct, living history aspect of piracy from the Buccaneers to the Wreckers. Please do not say that we are not a part of PiP. That offended me.

That being said, there is going to be a shuttle from downtown to the Truman waterfront then over to the Fort. It will repeat the cycle throughout the day and will stop running around 10 pm or so. I have not confirmed the exact timelines, as I am waiting to see if there is a sponsor location for the downtown aspect, since Pirate's Soul has moved out of town.

If there is a need for an airport pickup, I have folks ready, willing and able for most times to pick up or drop off, for the duration of PiP, not just during the Fort Taylor Pyrate invasion. Pirates don't let pirates take expensive cabs in Key West when it can be helped. Please feel free to contact me for arrangements.

The Friends of Fort Taylor and the Fort Taylor Pyrate Invasion fully support the use of our hotel sponsor. It is a great hotel, and they are giving a good deal. Hurricane, would you please pm me with full information, so that I can get that to some of our "hotel" folks that may need it? It would be greatly appreciated.

Fayma, I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I only wrote that a shuttle was not part of the PiP side of the event (as far as I knew). I never said that Fort Fest wasn't. The Fort Fest has taken PiP to a whole other level and I would never ever say that that they were separate or apart. It was simply a reference to the shuttle question, which I was referring to. I apologize for the confusion and there was certainly no sleight intended at all.

That is exciting news about the shuttle. Woohoo! I will add that to the website schedule for PiP.

I PM'd you the hotel information so others can get the festival rate there.

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Hey Fayma,

Good talking to you, today as always.

As for locations for pick up, is there a space to load and unload near Mel Fisher's, the Wrecker's Museum or the Government House? I know the Conch Train has a lot of that space to themselves, but something near there or even pulling through near Mallory Square could work. Just trying to figure out something fairly centrally located since Pirate Soul is gone.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

TARNATION, YE PYRATES!!! Ya has me head spinnin'!

Can I presume upon your better judgment? I want cheap, close, and comfortable. A 3/4 mile walk is nothing (unless your feet are bleeding!) I would also like to be where pyrates be staying! I know it is all a trade off and we can't have it all. So! Let me simplify .. I just wanna have FUN FUN FUN!!!!

What day should I come down (from Montreal)? I WAS going to come on Wednesday, cuz that's when Jim Wakefield said he was coming. But then Tuesday started to look good. Now Monday is starting to glisten.... Would probably fly in in mid to late afternoon. A ride to where ever this all is would be great!

A thing that bothers me is that I could walk right past most of you I am communicating with right now, and I wouldn't know it is you .. and thereby miss an opportunity for an adventure! I guess name tags are right out, huh? lolol

I believe I am staying in the Fort Thursday thru Sunday .. tho my body may use its veto power on that idea after a night or two on the ground.

I just want to hang with you guys, drink, party, make a fool of myself (ok, a fool in moderation) and learn a lot of new stuff.

SOMEONE JUST TAKE ME BY THE HAND AND SAY, "JOHN, YOU WHINING LITTLE BABY, YOU'RE GONNA DO THIS, THIS, AND THIS!! CASE CLOSED!!" (And that way, if I don't have all the fun I am expecting, I won't have to blame myself .... leaving ... let's see ... who to blame? LOL)

This is just so hard walking into this thing blind!

Breathe John Breathe.......................... :rolleyes:

No matter what day you arrive, there is a lot of stuff going on and tons of things to see and do. It's Key West. You'll have to work pretty darn hard to not have fun. Embrace your grand adventure.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

Exactly, Lily. Once you step off the plane, everyone will be taking care of you. It truly is the land of pirate love and all are welcome and all are cared for.

All of us involved are ready to "hit this year out of the park" and make it the pirate event to come to. So book your flight, let us know your plans so someone can pick you up at the airport and take you wherever you want and get ready for the time of your life. You're about to meet 200+ of the most amazing pirates - from hysterical to historical - you'll ever meet in your life. As Fayma always says you have your real family and then you have your pirate family, and they're all waiting for you in Key West.

There are plenty of helping hands to be had. Just extend yours (sans cutlass) and one of us are here to help. That's one of the great things about Pirates in Paradise).

Think of it as PyrateStock, my friend. All good, all the time.

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

Sounds like folks will take care o' you me friend!

Not to worry - I've done the same thing- arrived at events where I only knew folks from a messageboard- and I've never had it turn out badly, yet!

Made some amazing and long lasting friends, I have!

You will be fine! But- if ye want t' be recognized at any event- think about somethin' that'll be unique to you- yer signature piece as 'twere- and ye'll be alright!

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Well! Looks like it is on! Gonna arrive in KW on Tuesday just after one. Shuttle to the Pegasus hotel. Hope to be bunking with Gunner on Thursday night. I THINK William invited me to hang with the Mercury crewe. Is Gunner part of that crewe?

Anyway, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

I think everyone is invited to hang with the Mercury Crew. We're kind of like that. It would be helpful if you posted a photo of yourself in your profile so we know who we're looking for (preferably in garb - we all seem look different in plain clothes - well, most of us).

I came to PiP 2007 not knowing a soul and was immediately greeted by the ambassadress of PiP, Mama Ratsey (aka. Fayma Callahan). Then I met Harry (who is since gone to live in some godforsaken southwest state) and Papa Ratsey and the Sacred Heart Scooby Gang. Then I met THE quartermaster, William Redwake, Haunting Lily and Keith/Edward/Darth and it was all good. There are very friendly folks at PiP and even though I didn't know a one of them, they made me feel very welcome when I introduced myself.

Personally, I have stayed for several weeks in Key West totally solo and had a fine time just staggering around exploring the island and Duvall street. If you get really bored, rent a moped for three hours and become a hazard to everyone on the road. (You won't get that bored, but put that card in your hip pocket in case you do.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

On Tuesday you'll find all the pirates down at the Truman Annex Waterfront celebrating the End of Hurricane Season with a ceremony, the traditional burning of the pirate flags and entertainment. That's a great place to introduce yourself and get to know some of us. Just ask where the USS Mowhawk is or just head toward the fort (on Whitehead go westish from the Green Parrot Bar at Southard and then bear right after leaving the Truman Annex) if you're hoofing it. Be in costume, we all will be. We're there from 3 until 9ish partying and enjoying the entertainment.

And yes, the Mercury folks (as is everyone else) are absolutely terrific and will make you feel right at home.

Edited by hurricane

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

The Green Parrot bar (which is straight down the Southard a few blocks from the Pegasus heading SW - it's on the left on the corner of Whitehead) is also a great place to meet some of the locals. Last time I was there, the drinks were pretty reasonable too (for Key West). Still, you won't find more reasonable prices than with the rest of the pirates. If you find the right bunch and go barhopping the tourist girls in the bars might buy drinks for you. (Well that's what I heard... ;) )

Mission_banner5.JPG

I THINK William invited me to hang with the Mercury crewe. Is Gunner part of that crewe?

Anyway, I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Invited. Signed aboard. Press ganged. However you wish to explain it to others, its the same. Hugh (Callenish Gunner) is one of ours (as much as anyone can be in the Mercury crew) and he's a right, good fellow, found under the most spacious of tents.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg