serving mallet

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 adam cyphers

adam cyphers

Plunderer

• 336 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:03 PM

made a serving mallet...havent tried it out yet..here are some picsPosted ImagePosted Image

#2 silas thatcher

silas thatcher

Notorious Pyrate

• 752 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

looks pretty good mate !! now all you need is a rope or two to practice on !!

#3 Dutchman

Dutchman

Has anyone seen my cousin?

• Admin
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:42 PM

looks good. what did you make the handle from? i see lots of use in its future. huzzah

#4 Bos'n Cross

Bos'n Cross

Pyrate Captain

• 534 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

i am ssoooo jealous of all your projects WHERE ARE U GETTING ALL OF THIS!??!! i guess ill have to steal that mallet later........some of us "were" pyrates after all.....

-Israel Cross
-
- Boatswain of the Archangel
Colonial Seaport Foundation
Crew of the Archangel

#5 adam cyphers

adam cyphers

Plunderer

• 336 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:58 PM

well dutch remember those cut off pieces of oak for the pig?the head and handle came from them...and cross...how many times in dville did i tell you and others to get off your arses and make what you need instead of buying it...ive still got some left...i think ill make some fids:)and thank you silas dutch and cross.

#6 Dutchman

Dutchman

• Admin
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:29 AM

wow,good job! I didn't know you had a lathe. you know where there is a whole pile of scrap material. come get what you want.

#7 adam cyphers

adam cyphers

Plunderer

• 336 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 05:45 AM

lolm no lathe...18v dewalt drill,sandpaper, and a table saw

#8 Dutchman

Dutchman

• Admin
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:28 AM

show off. yeah get yer arse up to the farm. we need ya up there.

#9 Silver

Silver

Plunderer

• 329 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

lolm no lathe...18v dewalt drill,sandpaper, and a table saw

i need one of those, do you have a plan with measurments that you could share or did you just knock it out?

#10 adam cyphers

adam cyphers

Plunderer

• 336 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

sorry master silver i just kinda knocked it out...however if should be getting some more scrap when i go up to work on the luna next weekend...(thank you dutch)...i can post a tutorial then if youd like...

#11 adam cyphers

adam cyphers

Plunderer

• 336 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image got my helper out today:)

#12 Silkie McDonough

Silkie McDonough

Proprietress of the Sealkies Hide

• 5,617 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

Wow, some sailor. Aren't we always looking for an extra pair of hands ...Cyphers even comes up with a solution for that!

corrected1-1.png

Silkie is a noun not an adjective ...or is it? ...hmmmm,verb?

Crewe of the Archangel, The Sealkie Folk

Pencil portraits from photos for sale, trade or barter.

#13 callenish gunner

callenish gunner

Scourge o' the 7 Seas

• 2,125 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 09:27 AM

I can get you additional oak as well lad ;) ;) not that I'd be trying to bribe you into making a spare of those ;)
The Callenish Gunner -Hugh the Vagabond Celt - "Fairge Iolair"

Posted Image

#14 adam cyphers

adam cyphers

Plunderer

• 336 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

sure thing callenish...soon as i get my hands on some its yours...

#15 Silver

Silver

Plunderer

• 329 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

sorry master silver i just kinda knocked it out...however if should be getting some more scrap when i go up to work on the luna next weekend...(thank you dutch)...i can post a tutorial then if youd like...

i have some scrap oak, i need to check to see if it is wide enough. what are the dimensions of the head of the mallet and the depth and width of the groove? you have put a nice shape on the handle it looks like it would be comfortable to use.

#16 adam cyphers

adam cyphers

Plunderer

• 336 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:20 PM

lets see...the head is 1 11/16" at the face and 5 1/8" wide...and the groove 3/8"s deep and 11/16 wide...i think its a little deep though...but works great for me.the handle is 1/2 " at the head and widens to 1" at the base.

#17 capn'rob

capn'rob

Plunderer

• 345 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:01 AM

An old sailor's addage: "Worm and parcel with the lay, turn and serve the other way."

When the East Indiaman "Friendship", Salem, MA was struck by lightning it fried her whole rig. My cousins were having lunch at a resturaunt right next to Derby Wharf at the time!!
I got there while the re-rig was being done. The serving mallets they were using had heads of 6" diameter and were fitted with spools that turned that would be loaded with twine. They automatically "passed the twine for you"! I intend to fit a similar rig to my new, smaller mallet as I'm retiring my serious unit for now.

Edited by capn'rob, 15 June 2010 - 06:15 AM.

#18 adam cyphers

adam cyphers

Plunderer

• 336 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:14 AM

yes sir it is...for if you serve with the lay youll loosen the parceling...not good.serving against the lay tightens everything up...

#19 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

Bilge Rat

• 16 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:39 AM

Given the fact I am in truth a mountain man, I had never heard of a serving mallet before I read this thread. Not only is your work beautiful, but for me, informative as well. I use a mallet, but it's made from rawhide and not wood. I had to do a little research to understand the function! Do you use it for a prop or do you have a traditionally rigged boat that would make it a necessity?

Edited by Nighthawk, 25 July 2010 - 04:40 AM.

#20 Cascabel

Cascabel

Evil Drooling Henchman

• 778 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:28 AM

O.K.......

For those of us that are not real sailors..................... Exactly what is a serving mallet, and how is it used ?? I thought it might be nice to have an explanation before this thread gets too far along !!!

>>>>> Cascabel
Posted Image