Cartouche Boxes, old subject

sutlerjon

Arrrr right,

Now it's my turn to step up with a version of the Cartouche Box. In keeping with an older thread in "Twill" about how not all boxes would be exactly the same as the Whydah box, here is the start of my hybrid Whydah/Phips box. Whne complete you will have your choice of wooden liner or no liner. It's gonna fit a 3" belt, and if someone wants I can even adapt it to a shoulder sling.

No this really don't belong in "How to Address a lady" (Widow Phips.... reaching, but, hey ...)

It's not finished yet, but, it's comin' along nicely though.

closed ....

100_0685.jpg

open ....

100_0686.jpg

always tryin' new stuff!

Edited by sutlerjon

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net

Well for closure.....

I'm gonna break up after a long goodbye ...... Crap! ... wrong forum!

I'm going to use the rolled leather toggle method like the Whydah Box, I just haven't got that far yet, I was anxious, like summa my dating experiences.

I wanted to get a pic up to check response.

As to the other question, how much, I'm thinkin' $ 400.00 ..... but that'll never fly.

So I'm gonna be askin' $50.00 without a liner ,and because of the planin' an' gluin' and cussin' an' such..... $65.00 lined. Would've been more, but I enjoy the cussin' part!

Aye but dread Pirate McDrago you're probly wonderin' why I'm playin' with .........

you thought I was gonna say my ;) ...... this project an' not your scabbard, well I'd already started this when we talked earlier an' well I was cussin' an' havin' fun an' all, well I'll start yers when I get back from Charleston, gotta go blaockade the harbor an' get some meds fer this nasty VD I contracted. ;);)

Edited by sutlerjon

Self Promoter Jim

Thanks Jim.....If'n I ever gets me a real firearm, I might be a wantin' on o' them nice, pretty boxes.

Until you get your working piece, these also make a nice, period correct container for certain anachronisms we are loathe to do without!

Edited by Quartermaster James

I interested also. Lets us know when you have one complte with some pics. Thanks!

I'll eat when I'm hungry. I'll drink when I'm dry. If the hard times don't kill me I'll lay down and die.

Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey! Rye whiskey I cry. If you don't give me rye whiskey, I surely will die.

Hi guys!

Just got back in the door from Charleston, am happy to say that they finally complied with my wishes, the symptoms should be clearing up soon. B);););)

I'll have some pictures up in the next day or 2 with a liner, I'll try to get one tomorra with the closure on it.

Self Promoter Jim

Indeed more pictures good sir. Iv been after a cartouche box recently and yours looks quite to my liking! Do you have an estimate on how many paper cartridges it would fit lined?

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

Newest shots, pre-liner, as threatened.

I made the flap a bit wider so as not to allow rainwater in .... made closure as close to the photo as I can, I'll be workin' on variations and can do black, natural, brown, or russet.

I was looking at Phips box photos earlier and can probably do that one justice as well ..... I'll keep ya'll posted.

100_0696.jpg

100_0697.jpg

Self Promoter Jim

Indeed more pictures good sir. Iv been after a cartouche box recently and yours looks quite to my liking! Do you have an estimate on how many paper cartridges it would fit lined?

the liner'll be about 3/8" thick so I'm guessin' 'bout 20 - 25 rounds

Self Promoter Jim

As the person who provided the dimensions (and assuming Jim used my suggested size) I have fit up to 40 blank charges into a box...

You can read the old thread here for more info about them.... I'm not sure if anyone else posted their experience with the number of cartridges they could fit or not.

I am borrowing the dimensions from Mr Bagley! And in a genuine effort to give belated credit where due ..... and the old thread bears repeating, I found it very insightful.

Thanks Mike!!

Edited by sutlerjon

Self Promoter Jim

vveerryy nice sir! i dare say i cannot wait to pick up mine at Blackbeards! *cough is that plast.. *cough ....i saw nothing.....

Monsieur René Truffaut - Sailor - grenadier - flibustier - free man (for now)

.........I am french, why else would i have this outrageous accent, you silly man!..........You don't frighten me, English sea dogs. Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person. I blow my nose at you, so-called "Capi-tain" you and all your silly English Pieeer-raghts........

• 2 weeks later...