Sailor's paste times - Knotting

MadL

Not sure t' put this here in Captain Twill or in The Thieves Market, but th' way I sees it them blaggard thieves would just steal it so I chose here.

Ok now, there be tons o' books on Knots 'n even more on th' net but what I be trying t' find is an instructional aid for making them fancy wrapping, braiding if ye will, on tool handles? Like the ones ye see on most any true sailor's knives, fids, or anything else he get he's hands on with a handle, like these here:

Frayed Knot Arts

On that particular page he mentions a "needle-hitch" o' which I have had no luck finding information on.

Ya I know, I have many 'knot books' and through th' years with me Da, a fishing tackle designer/entrepreneur, I have many, many, many queue cards, flash card, hand outs, fold outs, wad ups, and booklets o' all th' basic knots; but Not One what speaks t' how t' carry th' wrapping down th' length of a shaft?

I have woven me own hammocks (but find a true Yucatan th' most comfortable o' all!), I have Macrame books but again they do not speak t' 'wrapping it around an object'.

So, now that I find me self unemployed for a spell I would like t' spend some time learn'n this trade but can find No information on it, just more o' the same knots and more o' th' same - Where are these masters o' wrapping hiding their secrets???

:P

~All skill be in vain if an angel pisses down th' barrel o' yer flintlock!

So keep yer cutlass sharp, 'n keep her close!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ashleys Book of knots should have it.... but I haven't seen a copy, so yer stuck with Hervey Garrett Smith's commonly avalible book....

Here it is on Amizon.... but it's an easy book to find..... (and you may be able to find it cheaper if you keep yer eyes peeled...)

http://www.amazon.com/Arts-Sailor-Knotting...k/dp/0486264408

Awh heck just to show ye wot a good illustrator hi is, and how cool the book is....

needleHitch.jpg

Sailor's paste time? What do sailors paste? Where do they paste it? What do they do with it once it is pasted?

Just curious.....

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Hey they Gotta use paste for Dead Hand Dan ate all th' glue!!

Aye Patrick, I have had Ashleys' book in me Amazon basket for some time, but it carry quite th' price and has gone up another $8!!

I think I may be able t' swing $10 for Hervey's book, is that th' one ye show a sample from? if so then he shows th' needle hitch!

I found one on a couple other hitches but naught as nice. Frayed knots shows th' graphing, but me thinks th' needle hitch looks much more better, fancier. That fender hitch look right nice too.

well, back t' drink'n me paint thinner cuz someone drank up all th' rum too! :blink:

As much as I love Amazon - they are practically on my payroll based on the regularity with which I send them money - and particularly Amazon Used, sometimes you must have an ace up your sleeve.

I recommend using BookFinder.com when you can't find something. To save everyone the trouble (the search is a might slow), I looked up the Ashley book, the Bookfinder results are here.

It looks like you can get it for about $50 through them. Note that I have bought from each of the three cheapest vendors in both the new and used categories and have been quite satisfied with them.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

There is a paragraph in the Ashley book on needle hitching. pg 561 # 3544. With two similar stitches #3545 & 3546.

As much as I love the Ashley book. I think the description and illustration is better in Marlinspike Sailor

If you like, I will type out the entire paragraph for you.

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

A friend of mine that I'm learning to sail the Exy Johnson with is a bit of a sailor's knot junkie and has spent more money on knotting books then he cares to admit. I hit him up for a suggestion on a good all purpose - basic sailor's knotting book. He grabbed a beat up - fairly used book right off the top of the heap that he claims to use more than any of his other - more expensive books.

The Art of Knotting and Splicing by Cyrus Lawrence Day

He wouldn't let me leave the house with it, even after emptying a bottle of grog with him, but I picked up an old hard cover version used from Amazon for about $8 bucks. It uses photographs to illustrate everything, tools, splicing, how to tie knots - it covers enough ground to keep my wee little hamster wheel of a brain running when I would rather it go to sleep.

Ashly tends to be a bit archival, and not very instructional. If you are searching for a book that has illustrations that are easy to follow, I recomend "The Arts of the Sailor" by Hervey Garret Smith. Also "The Marlinespike Sailor" by the same author.

Additionaly I recomend "The Complete Riggers Apprentice" by Brian Toss

Ashleys Book of knots should have it.... but I haven't seen a copy, so yer stuck with Hervey Garrett Smith's commonly avalible book....

Here it is on Amizon.... but it's an easy book to find..... (and you may be able to find it cheaper if you keep yer eyes peeled...)

http://www.amazon.com/Arts-Sailor-Knotting...k/dp/0486264408

Awh heck just to show ye wot a good illustrator hi is, and how cool the book is....

needleHitch.jpg

I tried my hand at this "past time" after seeing that every illustration.

PortBottle1.jpg

And no I have not had time to do the other 3 bottles I have.

Wow Skynner, that is great looking!

I wish I had the time or patience for that kind of work... But the last thing I need is another hobby... ;)

Thanks, Mate. An exercise of patience I promise you. I can't say it's a craft I'll continue, but I had to try it.

Capt Skynner that is AWESOME! I notice ye do not have a Turks head or anything covering th' top (which I am assuming th' beginning o' yer work). That is where I am currently in delemia is in how t' start and how t' finish th' wrapping, books and tutorials only seem t' describe th' wrap itself and never focus much on where t' begin and where t' end....ye aint seen how I sew!!!

Good news is th' Ashley book has decreased $8 again! but with recent loss o' steady income I think I be look'n at th' cheaper ones for now and wait t' see if Ashley's lowers even more...like perhaps after I secure me work once again ;)

Thank'ee all for remind'n me about th' Amazon Used Books, I forget about them little links but just found I can get both The Arts of the Sailor" and "The Marlinespike Sailor" for 'bout half th' regular price o' both! Still hesitant t' hit th' button thou as I be count'n coin real close....damn car payment....damn fool who wrecked me car what was full paid for! - can I kill someone now?

;)

Well, I am certainly take'n this all in, got knife on th' table and three sizes o' hemp twine sit'n ready for me muse t' kick me in th' arse.....that bottle o' Synner's certainly look sweet, Sweet Enough T' Fill With Rum!!!!

(damn, Pusser's just went dry! only Gosling's Gold left now..)

Willie Wobble is being VERY HUMBLE........

i was at Pip this past year--- and HIS KNOTTING & GEAR IS FREAKING AWESOME.........!!

if i was a theif, i would have considered stealing.......

i will go thru my silas' pics and post a link-- his handiwork is evident and amazing!!

i personally watched him work his magic hook thing and make a nettting type of covering for glass bottles....

i asked him earlier to give us his secrets........ he has been quiet about them-- his shy and humble nature.....

and can i reccomend ANOTHER SOURCE for books at VERY LOW PRICES... as long as you dont mind the books being used....... and the prices beat amazon hands down { once shoppign there, doubt you will choose amazon for much after the moeny saving experience}

WWW.ALIBRIS.COM { alibris means book in latin -- bet yah all knew that though!}

i got nora waughs and alice whats her name and marlins spike sailor and ashley book of knots CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP--- as long as you dont mind a used copy.... i have gotten books there for as low as 2 bucks.... shipping was 2.50.... BARGAIN HUNTERS PARADISE!!

as far as Willie Wobbles abilities---- AWESOME--- HE IS YOUR MAN FOR PICKING HIS BRAIN AND EXPERTISE ON TEH SUBJECT!!!

and if i could find some object that he needs or wants made as far as piratical clothing, i would trade himfor his knot work ....... there is your offer Willie...! think about that---NEED any more shirts? sailors jackets? breeches? you are about the same size as my dh--- already got patterns ....

Lady constance

I tried my hand at this "past time" after seeing that every illustration.

PortBottle1.jpg

And no I have not had time to do the other 3 bottles I have.

Wonderfully done! Ye need to teach that to Maddogge... perhaps then one of his onion bottle might survive PiP!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

WOW! Very nice, quite impressive. I cockscombed my ridge pole sleeve for the tent I made.

:D Jack Roberts, what ye do in th' privacy o' yer own tent should Really STAY in yer own tent!!

Why th' last time someone walk'd in on me while I was combing me ......er, never mind :D

....well, two more buttons t' sew then I gonna tackle me knife :D

• 2 weeks later...

Aye Joe Pyrate, I have many o' their tutorials as well a I have been spending time at Knot Heads World Wide where I found Louie Barrtos, author of "Making a Sailor's Traditional Ditty Bag and Sea Bag", be an active member in their forums. btw, I just got his book, very nice with great detail and explanations, of course it does not cover GAoP for as explained elsewhere his research appears t' conclude that actual 'ditty bags' did not occur until After th' GAoP period....still waiting for his explanation on th' Sailor Barrels that he did find however, but his description o' seams and stitches could well work with making of my next Market Wallet, also I plan t' make me a ditty bag for th' practice as well.

Anyone have any good resources for Decorative Knot Supplies? Even throughout th' knot forums I have been browsing it appears t' be quite difficult t' find good twine that is not of modern material, I have a good source for hemp but they 'polish' it smooth, American Rope has some FANTASTIC tarred marlin but at a price of course and the fine stuff they only sell in hanks. Anyone know of a good place in the USA (to avoid them VAT taxes) t' find some 2 ply and 3 ply twine of jute, hemp, or even linen? I want t' do some small hitch work to some handles but the stuff I have is too large. Also any good resources for sailor needles of all sizes and shapes, I managed t' get some #14 and #17 but still need some both smaller and larger....I am finding some but mostly places what prefer t' deal with not with small purchasing individuals.

I did find this like through Knot Heads World Wide: Rope Werehouse

but they do not have online purchase set up, need to call them next week and find out more but they are setting up this fantastic collection of twine, rope, and tools just for the knot heads out there who be interested in decorative knots!

Oh, also; Captain Skinner: I wanted t' ask, when tackling a bottle with Grafting, who do ye judge how long t' make yer Fillers? I have "The Arts of the Sailor" and "The Marlinespike Sailor" now and they give explanation of th' work itself but they do not go into any 'preparation' or even discuss how ye would finish off th' work when doing something such as a bottle? So also, how do ye finish off th' work on th' bottom - th' books assume only a straight poll or handle where one would cover th' ends of th' graft with a Turk's head....

:blink:

Edited by MadL

ok...first attempt..... :blink:

monkey's fist

P2013156-1.jpg

using 1/4"

P2013155.jpg

then slpiced back into with a bowlin' knot for a hand loop.....

P2013154.jpg

could see where this could be a hell of an attention getter!?!?

who else...show them darn pics...!?!?

Edited by M.A.d'Dogge
th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg