Fugawee Shoes

In case anyone is interested, there is a sale going on from Fugawee. It's not listed on the website but from Jan 5th through Feb 20, all shoes and boots (in stock only) are 20% off.

The brocade shoes are not included. I tried, lol

http://www.fugawee.com/

If you're gonna give me a headache, please bring me an aspirin!

http://www.forttaylorpyrates.com/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damnation!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

:::whimpers::: Ehhh, will have to wait for that pair of boots. ::Le sigh;::

Brocade shoes? oh, now who wouldn't want a pair of fine an' fancy shoes? Hell, I had hoped I'd have a pair fo RF5. But, not able to. Not yet at least. Maybe next year. :)

Thanks for th' heads up though.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I sold a bunch of stuff on Ebay and now I get to buy my shoes, thank goodness there's a sale!

I'm quite enamored with the "connie" but I want to make sure she's appropriate for GAoP, and if so if the natural color (should they have them still) would be an OK color, as I really like it.

Any help is always so very much appreciated!

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

I have the Connie in black. I got a half size larger than my street shoe to allow for extra room for insoles. You will need insoles. The shoe itself is very comfortable and molds to fit the shape of your foot very quickly. You would never know they were straight lasted shoes, unless you're staring at my feet.

I think several people have gotten the Barbara but don't quote me on that one.

Being a self-admitted PC clothing retard, could some knowledgeable person tell me which Fugawee shoe models are PC for us? I prefer rough side in shoes for my character (and myself), but I didn't see anything like that. I may have missed them. I really need to get some shoes...

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Most of the Fugawee shoes are based off designs from later in the 18th century (1750s+)... So strictly speaking, they aren't PC.

That said, they were the closest available style for a reasonable price for a VERY long time, and as such are widely used for late 17th/early 18th century (pirate era) re-enactors.

But now, for a comparable price to the Fugawees, one can get the Loyalist Arms shoes, which are correct (okay there are some fussy details they could improve :blink: ). So, basically, I can't see anyone giving anyone grief over the continued use of Fugawees (or their very similar cousins by Jarnigan), but for those wanting to take it up a notch, Loyalist Arms is the way to go (although extreme patience is required for the Loyalist shoes).

Make sense?

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

Most of the Fugawee shoes are based off designs from later in the 18th century (1750s+)... So strictly speaking, they aren't PC.

That said, they were the closest available style for a reasonable price for a VERY long time, and as such are widely used for late 17th/early 18th century (pirate era) re-enactors.

But now, for a comparable price to the Fugawees, one can get the Loyalist Arms shoes, which are correct (okay there are some fussy details they could improve :blink: ). So, basically, I can't see anyone giving anyone grief over the continued use of Fugawees (or their very similar cousins by Jarnigan), but for those wanting to take it up a notch, Loyalist Arms is the way to go (although extreme patience is required for the Loyalist shoes).

Make sense?

Ah but my fugawee shoes were passed by Kass herself... so they do fit the bill, problem being they are the women's shoes but they were making them in larger sizes for awhile, up to 13, I believe... and may have some left... I just got a new pair and larger than the first... but then I have relatively small feet... any who, my only complaint about fugawee shoes is that they have dance soles on them... i.e, thin and not much good for heavy duty trekking... so that lets out a lot of guys because you want to get them large enough to fit an inner sole...

I would invest in the Loyalist but still waiting for them to work out the kinks and truly, I am not very content with the large, shovel like toe... at least in prints of the time, the domed toe appears to be much finer...Williamsburg makes them with the much better toe, and I believe so does Sarah Juniper, so it obviously can be done...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Make sense?

Ah but my fugawee shoes were passed by Kass herself... so they do fit the bill, problem being they are the women's shoes but they were making them in larger sizes for awhile, up to 13, I believe... and may have some left... I just got a new pair and larger than the first... but then I have relatively small feet... any who, my only complaint about fugawee shoes is that they have dance soles on them... i.e, thin and not much good for heavy duty trekking... so that lets out a lot of guys because you want to get them large enough to fit an inner sole...

I've never discussed shoes with Kass... But okay. I'm not entirely sure what is meant that she "passed" the shoes. Passed them as close enough? Passed them as dead on? Passed out on them? :( There is an awesome thread over on the brethren forum that really goes into period shoes (both period images and the few extant pairs) and some great discussions analyzing the "ideal" recreation. Most of what I am going from here is based of those discussions, and most of those discussion lead me to believe the Jardigans/Fugawees are close enough no one will (should) ever say anything, specially since they were the best option (price and closeness) until less than a year ago. But for those really intent on perfection, without spending the small fortune on Junipers....

I do remember a really good discussion from about a year ago (just after PiP, so around this time of year), in the discussion the Fugawees were compare to the Jardigans, and both were found to be good, but the opinions by those who shared them were that the Jardigans had the thicker more stout soles. Not having any experience with either shoe, so I cna only repeat what I recall being posted.

I would invest in the Loyalist but still waiting for them to work out the kinks and truly, I am not very content with the large, shovel like toe... at least in prints of the time, the domed toe appears to be much finer...Williamsburg makes them with the much better toe, and I believe so does Sarah Juniper, so it obviously can be done...

Yeah a smaller squared toe is definately one of those details I think that can be improved by Loyalist. Sarah Junipers, while they may be the best... too rich for my blood, but different people may have different views on what to spend on re-enactment shoes.

As for Williamsburg shoes... They sell them? How much? Comparable to Juniper pricing? Or in the same league as Fugawees/Jardigans?

Michael_banner.jpg

The cordwainer in Williamsburg (Al Saguto) is somehow known to many of my reenacting friends. (I'm not sure how, I think he may have been a fellow Marklander back in the day.) Anyway... back when we were doing RevWar this question came up, and from those conversations (of a decade or more ago) I gather that you'd be looking at prices akin to Sarah Juniper's.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

:blink:

See, they're on sale and I want the Cliff Notes version of The Idiot's Guide to What Exact Pair of Shoes a 1720s Sea Surgeon Might Purchase. The words "on sale" are quite appealing to me. Are they just not good enough? I've considered the Godwin Gentleman's Shoe for quite some time (almost ordered 'em but they were out of stock when I tried), so that is the benchmark. Still, I cannot get over the words "ON SALE." I would sort of like to avoid reading the full and, no doubt, extensively correct and thoughtful debate that I would no doubt find in Twill. I want SIMPLE and STUPID as it fits my shoe-buying intelligence quite nicely.

I want to stand on the shoulder of the giants of research.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

:blink:

See, they're on sale and I want the Cliff Notes version of The Idiot's Guide to What Exact Pair of Shoes a 1720s Sea Surgeon Might Purchase. The words "on sale" are quite appealing to me. Are they just not good enough? I've considered the Godwin Gentleman's Shoe for quite some time (almost ordered 'em but they were out of stock when I tried), so that is the benchmark. Still, I cannot get over the words "ON SALE." I would sort of like to avoid reading the full and, no doubt, extensively correct and thoughtful debate that I would no doubt find in Twill. I want SIMPLE and STUPID as it fits my shoe-buying intelligence quite nicely.

Cliff notes version, Yes, more than good enough. for about $25 more, you can get almost perfect.

Michael_banner.jpg

Cliff notes version, Yes, more than good enough. for about $25 more, you can get almost perfect.

What shoe, what vendor?

Mission_banner5.JPG

"On Sale" is quite appealing to me as well. Plus, I am not sure HOW long I can wait for perfect shoes. Certainly not 6 months or a year... I recall people saying something about that kind of wait. *eek* I'm just not so patient barefoot in cold weather.

So I guess my next question, would it be a "good" idea to get the crappy "colonial" shoes off ebay for $40 and wait 'till next year for expensive, long wait shoes? Or should I get the Connies and upgrade when my "allowance" gets an increase? And is there a shoe more appropriate than the Connies (even though I really love them).

*sigh*

Cook and Seamstress to the Half Moon Marauders

Lady Brower's Treasures, Clothing and other treasures

Hell Hath No Fury like the Wrath of a Woman... No that's it. She doesn't need a reason.

www.myspace.com/halfmoonmarauders

www.myspace.com/faerienoodle

What shoe, what vendor?

Fugawees (almost any style, Concord seems to be favoured) are more than close enough and currently about $80 (pending style) with the 20% off sale.

- Keep in mind buckles are seperate and generally run about $25 to $30

Jarnigans are about the same price as Fugawees and just as more than close enough (but not not on sale), but have thicker tougher soles. So you are looking at about $100 for these, plus $25 to $30 for buckles

Loyalist - Almost perfect, cost $125 and include buckles, but probably will cost more for shipping. These also take forever to order (3 to 6 months?)

Edited by michaelsbagley
Michael_banner.jpg

Oi Mickey at the time, it was the style of the shoe, so that the look passed...

Crewe of the Archangel

"On Sale" is quite appealing to me as well. Plus, I am not sure HOW long I can wait for perfect shoes. Certainly not 6 months or a year... I recall people saying something about that kind of wait. *eek* I'm just not so patient barefoot in cold weather.

So I guess my next question, would it be a "good" idea to get the crappy "colonial" shoes off ebay for $40 and wait 'till next year for expensive, long wait shoes? Or should I get the Connies and upgrade when my "allowance" gets an increase? And is there a shoe more appropriate than the Connies (even though I really love them).

*sigh*

Lady Brower,

I think you might be confusing the debate about the mens shoes from Loyalist. If they are in stock, Fugawee's take about a week to arrive. At least they did when I placed an order last week. No one has complained about my shoes being inappropriate and I have the connie's. As I mentioned before I believe the Barbara is also a popular and appropriate shoe for females.

The cordwainer in Williamsburg (Al Saguto) is somehow known to many of my reenacting friends. (I'm not sure how, I think he may have been a fellow Marklander back in the day.) Anyway... back when we were doing RevWar this question came up, and from those conversations (of a decade or more ago) I gather that you'd be looking at prices akin to Sarah Juniper's.

Aye he said the shoes, IF they were ever to sell them to outsiders, would run about 480 to 525 a pair... this was Halloween 2007, at that time they would not make shoes for anyone outside of the foundation. But I hear tell they are now making wigs for outsiders... so maybe their policy on shoes has changed as well. After aching feet with fugawees, and all the nonsense with loyalist, it would be worth investing the larger sum for a good pair... and these looked built to last a good long time... but unless their policy has changed...

got the sewing and the leather work down...guess I need to learn to make shoes...

Crewe of the Archangel

I've considered the Godwin Gentleman's Shoe for quite some time (almost ordered 'em but they were out of stock when I tried), so that is the benchmark.

I'll sell you my pair. I'll even throw in the buckles. For... I dunno... $110? I'll take it a step further... I'll give you my word that I'll never complain about them if you wear them to an event.

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Sarah Juniper I mean just look at these... at this point after what's being produced else where and the problems still associated with them, saving for a pair of these would be worth every second and every penny... Edited by Capt. Sterling

Crewe of the Archangel