Pirate re-enactment demo

michaelsbagley

Hey all,

This is more of an "after-action report" than an event announcement... But this past weekend myself and my wife and a handful of others did a demo style event on the reproduction of the Santa Maria here in downtown Columbus Ohio. We had a lot of fun, and got to meet some other local folks that are similar minded so it was a great day all in all.

My Photobucket account has a bunch of photos taken throughout the day for those inclined to want to take a peek. There was some talk about the possibility of doing a second "mini-event" of this type later in the summer or perhaps in the autumn, just in case there is anyone in the Columbus area that might be interested (or anyone not too far away that would want to commute).

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant! Great pictures M. Souris. Keep up the good work and you'll have a major event on yer hands!

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Thanks Sterling...

As much as I would love to take credit for this gathering, this small event was the result of another's hard work. Although I do intend to help grow and foster this as much as possible in any way possible.

I only wish our camera battery hadn't died and we had gotten more pictures of some of the others that arrived a little later... Despite the photos not showing this, it was a really good mix of more authenticity minded pirates AND pirates that dress more to the mythical archetypes fostered by movies and renn-faires.

Michael_banner.jpg

That poor bear....

Apparently the young men (and when I say young I mean late teens) who brought him have a mom who is an elementary school teacher and the bear is travelling all over the world this summer for a class project. I am pretty sure they won't expect the bear to come back with muskets pointed at it.

Cheeky- did you see my "King of the World" pose that I did on the bow of the ship? That was just for you. B)

Banner.jpg

Cheeky, I should also mention that I had a few "Reach for a Leech!" moments throughout the day....the other pirates thought I was nuts.

I couldn't bear to leave the ship and 'work the docks' without you though....it's just not as fun to lick windows alone.... :D

Banner.jpg

Cheeky, I should also mention that I had a few "Reach for a Leech!" moments throughout the day....the other pirates thought I was nuts.

Oh Kate...Do tell! I am sure we all would enjoy the stories.

I couldn't bear to leave the ship and 'work the docks' without you though....it's just not as fun to lick windows alone....

:D Fear Not, Kate! If Bess shows up at B-Town (NC event come this August) I am sure that working the docks (clearing throat - raising ones eyebrows) and licking "the devil's ordinary" windows for a free meal will be quite the thing to get the locals attention.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Oh Kate...Do tell! I am sure we all would enjoy the stories.

Well there I was toasty and exhausted and feeling a bit slap happy by the end of the day. Michael was off "dutchifying" his garb a bit more and I was alone on the quarterdeck save for some mundanes on the tour.

I launched into the leech tirade...though not as good as yours. For every ailment, REACH FOR A LEECH! Feet hurt (little kids whining about it)- reach for a leech!. Sunburn? Reach for a leech! And on and on. I was so tired that specific stories other than those two kind of elude me. The sun zapped my energy in its entirety!

Banner.jpg

Perhaps I'll stop at the local Hunting/Fishing store and pick up a few for B-Town. Though Bess is not a healer by trade, she would know some 'wise-woman' cures.

B) I can just see their faces now as you and I put leaches on them...

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

WOT!!! B) ....ya had yer selves an event...that close to me....and forgots ta call me????..... B)

oh yeah....that trip to Beufort might have just got a bit longer fer the tew of ya......

ya might just be both ridin in the trailer.....its ok kate....that "wind blown" look is in now.... ;)

my wife an i were down that away a year or two ago for a st jude benifit(she's a survivor)...and we went down and looked at the Santa Maria...

always wanted to bored her as a pyrate...or conquistador....or not wearring any pants ...... B) ......

anyway...i was busy this past weekend....sittin there....doin nuthin.... B)

oh yeah....gonna be a LONG trip to North Carolina now.... B)

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I'm really sorry M.A. D'Ogge...

We only found out about the demo on Tuesday of last week, and we didn't get the rest of the details until Thursday (or was it Friday?).... There were a few people we would have liked to invite from nearby areas, but as it was very last minute, and it was someone elses gig, we just couldn't this time...

Now that the first run is done, when and if we do another demo like this, we will definately invite you and others within reasonable drive... and Probably with more notice than we got too. B)

Now please, please, please don't stick us in the trailor.... I'm afeared of small dark spaces... B) Although I will be locked up in there with a really hot chick... B)

Michael_banner.jpg

I couldn't bear to leave the ship and 'work the docks' without you though....it's just not as fun to lick windows alone.... 

B)   Fear Not, Kate!  If Bess shows up at B-Town (NC event come this August) I am sure that working the docks (clearing throat - raising ones eyebrows) and licking "the devil's ordinary" windows for a free meal will be quite the thing to get the locals attention.

Damnation we have trouble a plenty now lads! The pressed members of the crewe be acting up again.

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

I'm really sorry M.A. D'Ogge...

Now that the first run is done, when and if we do another demo like this, we will definately invite you and others within reasonable drive... and Probably with more notice than we got too. B)

What would constitute a "reasonable" drive?

Not to fret Maddogge, the Souris being pressed men (and woman) just tie them to the bumper....

Crewe of the Archangel

I guess I would invite anyone interested, but as it would likely be a small event (1 day, actually we were only "on" from noon until 6PM so that is a 6 hour event), so I would guess that most would probably not want to drive more than 3 hours +/- for it... But I guess I could post any news of it here and let people decide for themselves what a reasonable drive was/is...

Michael_banner.jpg

Right then, back in the trailer with ye both. B)

Crewe of the Archangel

Michael was off "dutchifying" his garb a bit more...

B) Now it's a verb!

I launched into the leech tirade...though not as good as yours.  For every ailment, REACH FOR A LEECH!  Feet hurt (little kids whining about it)- reach for a leech!.  Sunburn?  Reach for a leech!  And on and on.

And on and on. I'm going to hear no end of this, am I? You know, sunburn hardly rates mentioning in the accounts I have read so far. It comes up in a left-handed sort of way here and there, but it is generally not talked about as a matter for the surgeon. Just thought that was interesting. I suppose once you were toughened up by the sun, you forgot about it.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

Now please, please, please don't stick us in the trailor.... I'm afeared of small dark spaces... B) Although I will be locked up in there with a really hot chick... B)

actually....the trailer in mention...is of the "opened air" variety....plenty of time(nearly 12 hours of it)...to catchup on yer suntan fer the drive....hence the "windblown look".....but no fret...should be comfortable back there...on top of me sword bag...or possibly the cast iron cooking gear....but definately bring a hat to share....might be expectin rain......

... And just think all the free food... mmm bugs...protein...

Crewe of the Archangel

yeah....BUT....

your a MARRIED woman now!!!!!...... B)

in the trailer ye go.....

wait.... :lol: ....wot kinda cookies???

nope...no matter ....in the trailer ye be.....

oh yeah...i forgot.....aye maried woman...means no commitments...............

Aye...bring LOTS of cookiesANDmilk....and ye can have yer seat back...in the backseat...but at least not in the trailer....

but the hubby???.....in the trailer now...and be snappy about it...and dont bend me swords!!!

B)

I just asked Michael to bake some cookies for me to give to you. B) He didn't find it amusing.

I will bring road trip snacks, however. Are you allergic to anything? Erm....email me....we're steering Michael's thread way off course, lol!

Banner.jpg

• 1 month later...

Now, here is the skinny... Mark (head of the Scioto Pirates, which is the local burgeoning pirate re-enactment group) has just suggested a POSSIBLE demo on the Santa Maria for Sept. 20th (in honour of "Talk Like a Pirate Day" which is the day before).

IF this comes together, it will likely be a small demo, similar to what we did in July.

I will let you all know as soon as I recieve firm word on this happenning or not. But it is looking promising as the ship does not have any other events planned for this day.

This small demo style event has a fair bit of restrictions attached to it (assuming we are stuck with the same rules/guidelines as we were last time).

Black Powder weapons HAVE TO REMAIN on the ship, or be packed up to be transported to or from the ship. The ship is on the river in the heart of an urban downtown area, so flintlock pressence is something that must be done with great care.

The ship has little to no display space, so bringing a chest or table to work on or place any display items is crucial, otherwise you will likely get stuck laying you items out on the deck.

We could feasibly do some limited fencing sword work display or practice, but being shipboard, would make this tricky... Although if we remove our black powder weapons, we might be able to do some of this on the grass near the ship. I'd have to run this by Mark to see what he thinks.

Anyways, the pirate demos would most likely be worked into and in between the ships normal tour, which focusses on the history of the ship and Christopher Columbus' travels, but this is again subject to change. If anyone has ideas or thoughts that might work, or if you have any idea if you might be able to make it down to Columbus for this, please let me know. I imagine during the lulls in this demo, and perhaps after the demo, we could discuss the possibility of a more festival/invasion style event for next spring or summer (as a fundraiser as mentioned above in a previous post).

Michael_banner.jpg

Okay, finally got the official word...

We are good to go for a demo on the Santa Maria on Saturday September the 20th. The demo will go from noon until about 6:00 PM. Last time we were allowed to use the ship's stove to cook our dinner on after close, although I haven't heard anything to this effect, I am guessing we will be doing this again.

Now here is the cool part. We get to "camp" the night on the ship for those inclined to. For those who would rather stay in a more comfortable setting, Jessica and I could put up a few people if there is anyone who wants to come who would like a place to stay.

Another change, is it sounds like they will be allowing us the use of the small boat (holds 4? people) to conduct a fire fight from the ship to the boat...

I think those are the biggest details for now, if I can think of anything else, I'll post again. If anyone has any questions, concerns or constructive ideas, I'd love to hear them. Please also do let me know if you are thinking of coming down and if there is anything reasonable I can do in order to help you get here.

Cheers :huh:

Michael_banner.jpg

OH man......!!!

That sounds really good!!

I doubt there is even the slightest chance I'll be allowed the time off..... :lol: I will try to work something out though.... AAAGH!!! This work thingy is getting in the way of my fun!!

I have off tues, wends and thurs....Requests will go in tonight for friday sat and sun....????? Small chance, but worth the shot!!

Just the same... I would ask em about what can be arranged for Friday also??

It is down town right??? If so, sometimes folks on lunch and tourists are looking for something to do... When they hear it's "National Talk like a pirate day" they might feel the spirit and stop in??

sig2.jpg

No rest for the wicked! Wait a minute... that's me?!